Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

about to buy volant CAI with Ram Air..question tho first...

Old 11-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
AKA "06tacosport"
Lunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
Lunercrab's Tacoma Gallery
about to buy volant CAI with Ram Air..question tho first...

ok so i've come across a volant CAI with the ram air setup, very cheap IMO and i'm just about to buy it, but my research on these threads got me second guessing...some people i read say they love their's, but a majority of people claim that these volants run WAY to rich, which will cost me power correct?...i'm just curious do all the intakes run rich or just the Volant? i know i can eventually purchase a MAF cal. , but is that something that is a definte need for these Volant intakes? i wondering now if i should just save my money and buy a TRD later down the line...i mean don't get me wrong i'm not expecting huge gains...but alittle performance plus would be nice...hmm just not sure if i should pull the trigger or not on the volant...
Old 11-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
dabighi has a little shameless behaviour in the past
dabighi's Tacoma Gallery
ive heard that the volant intakes for some reason do run rich. i dont know if it has anything to do with where they decided to reinstall the maf sensor. i know that the trd(afe stage 2 si) cai does not affect the positioning of the maf sensor. true you can always get the urd maf calibrator but your going to be running rich up until you get it installed and dyno'd.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
these trucks run pretty rich from the factory already, and an intake will make it run more rich than it already is doing..........and not to mention that intakes get their best gains in the upper rpms, not normal driving. the maf calibrator is definitely a good idea for if you have any intake, because it will adjust everything to where it needs to be so you can get your most gains outta it.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
AKA "06tacosport"
Lunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
these trucks run pretty rich from the factory already, and an intake will make it run more rich than it already is doing..........and not to mention that intakes get their best gains in the upper rpms, not normal driving. the maf calibrator is definitely a good idea for if you have any intake, because it will adjust everything to where it needs to be so you can get your most gains outta it.
So ur saying that really any intake really doesn't ness. Benefit the truck without a MAF? I mean I use my truck mostly for towing, so would an intake without the MAF really even help me or just hurt me down the line?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacosport View Post
So ur saying that really any intake really doesn't ness. Benefit the truck without a MAF? I mean I use my truck mostly for towing, so would an intake without the MAF really even help me or just hurt me down the line?
its just my opinion, but the intakes on these trucks are already "cold air intakes", as they take air from the fenders....not the engine bay. unless you do alotta driving in the upper rpm's.......i dont think the small gains of an intake are really worth the cost of an intake....even though you may be getting this one at a great price. with the maf cal...an intake can be pretty useful i think. if you are wanting a decent mileage gain, you can remove the secondary air filter, and replace the stock filter with a good filter such as the afe pro dry s filter, and you will get a decent gain in mileage....for the price of that, which is way cheaper than an intake, thats the route i'd go......but thats just my opinion.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
check it out. i have a volant and love it. i say buy it. my theory has always been there will always be tuning after a mod. i have yet to tune mine but i do notice some felt gains. my truck feels quicker to accelerate and the sound will turn heads. i do not have any dyno numbers for you. if you are ever around my neck of the woods you are more than welcome to check it out in person.

just my two cents

Old 11-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
check it out. i have a volant and love it. i say buy it. my theory has always been there will always be tuning after a mod. i have yet to tune mine but i do notice some felt gains. my truck feels quicker to accelerate and the sound will turn heads. i do not have any dyno numbers for you. if you are ever around my neck of the woods you are more than welcome to check it out in person.

just my two cents

atleast the volant is a closed box setup. do you get air from the fender still?? if so, not a bad intake then,since you get air from the scoop and from the fender.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
AKA "06tacosport"

Quote:

just my two cents

Well here is my dilema. I can get this intake setup for 100 bucks plus shipping which I can't imagine would be more then say 30 bucks. So I think its a great deal IMO. As far as my truck right now I did remove the secondary and I have an AFE drop in. Now I didn't notice too much with this setup. Basically I know this sounds dumb, but I'm looking for a bit or gain, but mostly sound. My FM DF 50 exhaust is a bit quiet, so I'd like to wake it up a bit
Old 11-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Well here is my dilema. I can get this intake setup for 100 bucks plus shipping which I can't imagine would be more then say 30 bucks. So I think its a great deal IMO. As far as my truck right now I did remove the secondary and I have an AFE drop in. Now I didn't notice too much with this setup. Basically I know this sounds dumb, but I'm looking for a bit or gain, but mostly sound. My FM DF 50 exhaust is a bit quiet, so I'd like to wake it up a bit
hell, for that price.....get that intake man........you can always tune it later on the the urd maf cal!
Old 11-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
AKA "06tacosport"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
hell, for that price.....get that intake man........you can always tune it later on the the urd maf cal!
Yeah see why I'm really wanting to buy it . I mean right now the tuck is just sitting, since I have a beater car for work. So I guess it won't hurt if I don't get the MAF right away. But as I said the price of the MAF and the intake is gunna be about as much as the TRD setup. So that's why I'm still on the fence. I mean is the TRD one really that much better, or are u paying for the name? Cause with live.coms 25% cashback I can get a trd off ebay for like 260 bucks after 86 bucks cashback. So in that sense the trd setup may be cheaper. How does the trd sound?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Yeah see why I'm really wanting to buy it . I mean right now the tuck is just sitting, since I have a beater car for work. So I guess it won't hurt if I don't get the MAF right away. But as I said the price of the MAF and the intake is gunna be about as much as the TRD setup. So that's why I'm still on the fence. I mean is the TRD one really that much better, or are u paying for the name? Cause with live.coms 25% cashback I can get a trd off ebay for like 260 bucks after 86 bucks cashback. So in that sense the trd setup may be cheaper. How does the trd sound?
the trd and volant are gonna sound about the same, but i think with the scoop, the volant may be a bit better. thats a good deal man....go ahead with it!!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #12
AKA "06tacosport"

Yeah I think I might go for it. One last thing he did say its missing
the o-ring for the mass airflow sensor. Is this part hard to find?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
the volant run so rich that after its tune with a maf the benefits is like 30 hp more, thats how rich this intake runs
Old 11-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #14

Quote:
depending on how big or small the o-ring is....you should be able to find an assortment of o-rings at lowes or home depot.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #15
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
the volant run so rich that after its tune with a maf the benefits is like 30 hp more, thats how rich this intake runs
too rich for me, maybe that's why its a deal. The AFE is spot on per MR. Gadget.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #16

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
go for it the o ring is almost square i'm sure cutting a piece of rubber will do just fine
Old 11-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #17
AKA "06tacosport"

Quote:
go for it the o ring is almost square i'm sure cutting a piece of rubber will do just fine
so this o ring...is this something that sits between the sensor and the tubing to seal up the connection right?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #18

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so this o ring...is this something that sits between the sensor and the tubing to seal up the connection right?
yup pretty much. you'll see when you buy it.