Notices

TRD vs. URD?

Old 11-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
2009Taco is on a distinguished road
Navy: Information Systems Technician, Second Class
2009Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 2009Taco
TRD vs. URD?

I'm sure this has been covered at some point, but I searched and wasn't able to come up with anything. So here goes, as far as the TRD vs. URD, what is 'better'?

I know TRD parts are more expensive but retain and are covered under the factory warranty, while URD parts seem to be cheaper (especially the short throw shifter) but I wasn't sure how they were covered with Toyota, should they cause or something else fail on the vehicle.

I am looking to get the short throw shifter now and hopefully the supercharger in the Spring. Gonna start saving now, so it'd be kinda nice to know what I'm saving for

Thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
I have yet to hear something breaking from URD or their parts causing damage. Gadget does a lot of R&D and puts out quality stuff.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
Ya, from what I have read, everyone seems to be happy with the URD products. I am just a little paranoid about the warranty.

I know you will have to prove that that specific part caused the failure, but that seems like more of a hassle.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
If you can find one, I highly recommend the B&M short shifter. From a performance stand point, it is hands down the best choice.

I ran the URD s/s for about 6-7 months before switching to the B&M... never once regretted it.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
The only bad thing i heard about urd is the cai water getting in causing the truck to turn off but thats it they have solid products i would still reccommend them.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
The only bad thing i heard about urd is the cai water getting in causing the truck to turn off but thats it they have solid products i would still reccommend them.
mhm, well the plan is to start going out more in the near future. That being said, I think I will go the TRD route for the CAI.

Does the CAI from TRD work best w/ the TRD SC and URD TCAI w/ URD SC work best together, or doesn't it matter?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
bump
Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I've never heard anybody say anything negative about their experience with URD or URD parts.

That being said, as an off roader I am not a fan of their CAI design. But for someone who stays on the street it should be fine.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #9
HILOTOY
HILOTOY will become famous soon enoughHILOTOY will become famous soon enough

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
I have the trd cai...........made a little difference in power with a nice sound.....hooked it up with the URD maf cal with their modified map and now it sings at 4000 rpm, a whole lot smoother throughout the powerband and it now feels like I've gained some ponies....even if you supercharge you will need a good management system to optimize your mods

URDFTW!!!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
Dutch will become famous soon enough
Dutch's Tacoma Gallery
I have not posted in a while, but I am going to say I have spent a lot of money on trd parts (S/C, CAI, short shifter, exhaust)................... you do the numbers. I have one URD part (pulley for the trd S/C to add boost). No real problems (except intercooler reservior) with trd parts and as for the urd..........it works as stated on their website, but that can't be a fair comparison. I can say that TRD customer service and Tech service sucks. I do most of the work on my vehicles and when I had questions about thier products, I got..................this.....

Me Could I get a spare parts list for the supercharger?
TRD Why do you need one?
Me I do my own work and would like to have spare parts
TRD (Silence)
Me Do you have one?
TRD Quite possibly (and again silence)
Me Who do I need to speak with to get one?
TRD I will take your name and number and will get back with you.

No response from TRD.

Times goes by and I call again (unrelated to spare parts)

Me Hi. I would like to speak with a tech that is familiar with the S/C
on the 4.0L Tacoma.
TRD What can I help you with?
Me I am running 91oct fuel, which is the best I can get in the area I am working and I am pinging like a bitch.
TRD You need higher octane.
ME You say that 91 is minimum
TRD You need higher octane (smartass tone)
Me Hang up

Today

Me I need to speak with someone in management concerning the S/C for my '07 4.0L Tacoma.
TRD What can I help you with?
Me Coolant appears to leak from the intercooler reservoir.
TRD Take it to TRD dealer
Me I did and they say as well as I................cheap plastic
TRD (Silence)
Me I had asked at one point for a spare parts list and never received one.
TRD (Silence)
ME Do you have one?
TRD More than likely

You be the judge. After you have spent 5K+ on TRD, would you buy more?
Old 11-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
HILOTOY
HILOTOY will become famous soon enoughHILOTOY will become famous soon enough

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
Wow if i had that kind of customer service, I would go Postal........ if they cant help you after 5 grand, I would return the S/C and buy the URD one......their customer service is awesome and they would know to tune it to the max..................URDFTW!!!!!!!!1