Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Performance Add ons

Old 11-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
after6beers is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
after6beers's Tacoma Gallery
Performance Add ons

As I have built a jeep and joined many forums and asked many questions in those forums I know that this will get many different responses which I am looking forward too!
I recently purchased a 2010 Tacoma TRD, 6 Speed, Double Cab, Short Box, I am planning on doing several mods including a tires, wheels, lift and finally supercharger, however right now the bank account is a little low. So I am looking at several options to add some power to the truck, (A little disappointed with the stock performance) I am looking at spending between $1000 - $2000 and would like to get the most bang for the buck. Any suggestions?
I have included some pics of my jeep to show that although I am a newbie to Tacomas I am not som idiot that cant turn a wrench!
Attached Thumbnails
Performance Add ons-jeep.jpg  
Old 11-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
theres alot of threads already on this use the search option. but for that price range..... full exhaust and intake. thats about it, obviously the charger is much more than that budget.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on Jace's comment... with your current budget, intake and catback for now
Old 11-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Obviously the budget isnt close to a supercharger, which is what I am doing in the future. As I already have an offroad vehicle, I plan to make this more of a mall crawler with as much power as possible!
What about other mods like chips or programmers?
Old 11-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by after6beers View Post
Obviously the budget isnt close to a supercharger, which is what I am doing in the future. As I already have an offroad vehicle, I plan to make this more of a mall crawler with as much power as possible!
What about other mods like chips or programmers?

NO
Old 11-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
The basic intake, headers, muffler, and chip will add a tiny bit of improvement. But I'd just save for a blower if that's what you really want.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
chips don't work on these trucks. Exhaust and intake will be very very expensive for the tiny gain they offer. Honestly I would save for the super charger, or do nothing at all.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomalex View Post
The basic intake, headers, muffler, and chip will add a tiny bit of improvement. But I'd just save for a blower if that's what you really want.
The chip will do absolutely nothing.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
One to tune your maf sensor helps. Keeps your engine from running too lean or rich,caftermarket intakes can cause that.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Wait for the blower.

live via
Old 11-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Go Fritos scoops for chip performance.

live via
Old 11-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #14
That was easy...maybe all jeep guys are idiots! The same post would have got 14 different responses and tons of arguements! Will do either the some of the cheaper mods...lift and wheels or just save up for the supercharger!
Thanks!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #15
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Being a 2010, do not get the new TRD intake. You have to get the first gen TRD intake. It was made by AFe. It does pick up power and there are dynos to prove it. If you cannot find that intake, then you need to find the AFe that is on the market now for our trucks. Probably similar to the one that the other member just sold.

Now, I am assuming that you plan on installing a TRD s/c down the road. That being the case, that intake will bolt right up to it. If you decide to get the URD s/c, don't waste you money on the intake, as it won't be used.

URD also sells headers. JBA and Doug Thorley. Short and long tube for both brands. The Doug Thorleys are made out of the higher quality 304 SS than the JBAs which are 409.

With the long tubes you will need an O2 simulator, which URD also has. (Imagine that) It is a plug in play unit. Nice.

Going s/c, you can pick up a 2.5 " or 3" exhaust. Make sure it is 304 SS though. It will last much longer.

The stock tubing on the exhaust might have changed diameter on the newer models, but on an 08 it was still 2.25". Very restrictive. Shame.