1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Performance Add ons

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by after6beers, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Nov 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    after6beers

after6beers [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD
    As I have built a jeep and joined many forums and asked many questions in those forums I know that this will get many different responses which I am looking forward too!
    I recently purchased a 2010 Tacoma TRD, 6 Speed, Double Cab, Short Box, I am planning on doing several mods including a tires, wheels, lift and finally supercharger, however right now the bank account is a little low. So I am looking at several options to add some power to the truck, (A little disappointed with the stock performance) I am looking at spending between $1000 - $2000 and would like to get the most bang for the buck. Any suggestions?
    I have included some pics of my jeep to show that although I am a newbie to Tacomas I am not som idiot that cant turn a wrench!

Jeep.jpg

2. Nov 5, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    theres alot of threads already on this use the search option. but for that price range..... full exhaust and intake. thats about it, obviously the charger is much more than that budget.

3. Nov 5, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    x2 on Jace's comment... with your current budget, intake and catback for now

4. Nov 5, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    after6beers

after6beers [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD
    Obviously the budget isnt close to a supercharger, which is what I am doing in the future. As I already have an offroad vehicle, I plan to make this more of a mall crawler with as much power as possible!
    What about other mods like chips or programmers?

5. Nov 5, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap

NO

6. Nov 5, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    tacomalex

tacomalex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    The basic intake, headers, muffler, and chip will add a tiny bit of improvement. But I'd just save for a blower if that's what you really want.

7. Nov 5, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    chips don't work on these trucks. Exhaust and intake will be very very expensive for the tiny gain they offer. Honestly I would save for the super charger, or do nothing at all.

8. Nov 5, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    The chip will do absolutely nothing.

9. Nov 5, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    Super. Charger.

Thats it.

10. Nov 5, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    tacomalex

tacomalex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    One to tune your maf sensor helps. Keeps your engine from running too lean or rich,caftermarket intakes can cause that.

11. Nov 5, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Take that $2k and get a bad ass lift, then you're done with lift. Time to save for the supa chaaja

12. Nov 5, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    after6beers

after6beers [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD
    That was easy...maybe all jeep guys are idiots! The same post would have got 14 different responses and tons of arguements! Will do either the some of the cheaper mods...lift and wheels or just save up for the supercharger!
    Thanks!

13. Nov 8, 2011 at 6:21 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Being a 2010, do not get the new TRD intake. You have to get the first gen TRD intake. It was made by AFe. It does pick up power and there are dynos to prove it. If you cannot find that intake, then you need to find the AFe that is on the market now for our trucks. Probably similar to the one that the other member just sold.

Now, I am assuming that you plan on installing a TRD s/c down the road. That being the case, that intake will bolt right up to it. If you decide to get the URD s/c, don't waste you money on the intake, as it won't be used.

URD also sells headers. JBA and Doug Thorley. Short and long tube for both brands. The Doug Thorleys are made out of the higher quality 304 SS than the JBAs which are 409.

With the long tubes you will need an O2 simulator, which URD also has. (Imagine that) It is a plug in play unit. Nice.

Going s/c, you can pick up a 2.5 " or 3" exhaust. Make sure it is 304 SS though. It will last much longer.

The stock tubing on the exhaust might have changed diameter on the newer models, but on an 08 it was still 2.25". Very restrictive. Shame.

Products Discussed in

To Top