1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dual exhaust

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by headhunter247, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Nov 11, 2008 at 5:05 PM
    headhunter247

headhunter247 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO area
    Vehicle:
    18 Taco Double Cab TRD
    5100's all around, OME 888 and Dakars. ProComp Series 05. Cooper SST Maxx 275s.
    I have seen some tacos with dual exhausts...what are everyones thoughts on them?
    Would I be better off buying a cat back?

2. Nov 11, 2008 at 5:26 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    well it depends. catbacks in general are only good for about 5 horsepower. if your going for sound, just buy a muffler, and have a shop weld it on for you.

3. Nov 11, 2008 at 6:10 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What are you looking for in having duals?

Cat-back system is going to be cheaper than a true-dual system.

4. Nov 11, 2008 at 9:37 PM
    TacoTycoon

TacoTycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4WD Indigo Ink
    Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, Diff Drop Kit, TSB AAL, 285/70/17 BFG A/T Tires, 17X8 Helo HE835 Wheels, Rear Bilstein 5100s, Dual Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, TRD Front Seat Covers, Rear Suspension TSB, 35% Tint, Redline Hood Struts, MagLite Mod
    cat back is not worth it IMO, if you are going for sound just get the muffler and get a shop to weld it for you. If you like the look of duals just get the one in two out muffler(will cost more however because of the extra pipe and tip). I have 50 flowmaster with duals and I really like the sound and look, good luck bro

5. Nov 13, 2008 at 8:22 AM
    Toyota_hic

Toyota_hic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    07 offroad red tacoma SR5 ac./cab
    westin bull bar, tube steps, BFG MT, silver ceramic coated JBA shortys, tru dual flowmaster 40series with magnaflow tips, 77series K&N intake, allpine head unit, 10" type R sub, 500w/4 amp
    i love my duals...i have 2 40series coming strate out the back with stainless tips....it was about $400 for everything including installation...i had already bought the 50series 1in 2 out, it just wasn't for me and it was about the same price as my duals i think the 50series was around $350 without installation

6. Nov 13, 2008 at 4:59 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...Lots of discussions have been had about dual exhausts. True dual systems will hurt performance.

As far as cat back systems and mufflers:
    You are better off buying a dynomax (for performance) or flowmaster (for sound) 1 in-2 out muffler and having a shop bend you up some pipes from the muffler back.

Cat back will cost you more and get you negligible gains.

I think that roughly sums up all the stuff you could have found with a search...

Products Discussed in

To Top