Old 11-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
nobackhair is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
nobackhair's Tacoma Gallery
Iridium plugs?

Tried them on my bike. Noticed a dif.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Probably because you replaced a bad plug or plugs with new ones.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
damnit it whippersnapper, why r u so witty?? i def lol-ed haha
Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayNnite4 View Post
damnit it whippersnapper, why r u so witty?? i def lol-ed haha
Lol.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Good guess. Nope. Had a smoother transition into higher R's. Mileage improved too. Dyno showed an 8HP increase in a 650 twin.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobackhair View Post
Good guess. Nope. Had a smoother transition into higher R's. Mileage improved too. Dyno showed an 8HP increase in a 650 twin.
We're all idiots I guess. Just not complete ones.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
Banned
Quote:
Oh. Well cool then.

Quote:
We're all idiots I guess. Just not complete ones.
Exhaust fumes got you talking to yourself?
Old 11-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
i wasted money on iridiums, true story
Old 11-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So you did a baseline study of used non-iridiums compared to new non-iridiums, and then you also studied the new non-iridiums compared to new iridiums, and you got this documented improvement over new non-iridiums?
Old 11-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
So you did a baseline study of used non-iridiums compared to new non-iridiums, and then you also studied the new non-iridiums compared to new iridiums, and you got this documented improvement over new non-iridiums?
Are you that interested in my bike or just funning over my mundane inquiry?
Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you that interested in my bike or just funning over my mundane inquiry?
I am not really interested in your bike per se, but I am interested in any substantive data (not just "opinion") about actual plug performance, because there is a lot of misinformation, marketing hype, and misundertanding out there. I found an interesting research article from Denso about their development of platinum and then iridium plugs, and I have not read the whole thing yet (pretty dense, and I am too busy with other business at the moment), but the gist of it is that basically iridium prolongs life, and in very high-performance applications, can increase combustion efficiency, but we are talking very small amounts that are not apparent in anything that is street legal.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I am not really interested in your bike per se, but I am interested in any substantive data (not just "opinion") about actual plug performance, because there is a lot of misinformation, marketing hype, and misundertanding out there. I found an interesting research article from Denso about their development of platinum and then iridium plugs, and I have not read the whole thing yet (pretty dense, and I am too busy with other business at the moment), but the gist of it is that basically iridium prolongs life, and in very high-performance applications, can increase combustion efficiency, but we are talking very small amounts that are not apparent in anything that is street legal.
I think evrything your sayong hear makes a lot of sense. As far as the bike goes I ran a normal plug 8 months before I thought it should be replaced. I've had the iridiums in for 2 yrs. before and 2 yrs. after the othersand they are still performing like new. If you remember, Let me know if you think there is anything conclusive when you get a chance to finish reading that article.
Busy is good.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Comparing a bike performance gain to a trucks is an apples to oranges comparo. Bikes try to get the most hp out of the smallest displacement. most bikes DO run iridium plugs, or the like, from the factory. The ignition system is designed for it. Trucks are a different animal. You will not get any gains from switching plugs, other than replacing worn plugs with new. In many cases, iridium plugs, or platinum, unobtianium, turquoise, etc., can cause en CEL, and the engine to not run very good.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #15
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
I switched to Iridium plugs... But I had to when I went with the S/C. I agree with what chris and the the OP said about bikes. You will see a small improvement in a sport bike with iridium plugs but unless your running high RPM/boosted applications on our truck it makes no sense.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
Rail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to behold
Rail's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, My '06 Tacoma has 80,000 on it so I figured I better change the plugs. I checked the gaps and they were all burnt down to .55. I installed NGK LFR6AIX-11/6619 and left them set on .43. I thought the truck ran good before but now she really goes. I also noticed lots better MPG. I know it's because of the old plugs that I am noticing the difference but I'm just saying, i dont find anything wrong with the Iridiums and I didnt want to change again for a long time so they are working for me "today". I did bust my little knuckle installing them....
Old 05-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #17
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Plugs FTW!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail View Post
Hey, My '06 Tacoma has 80,000 on it so I figured I better change the plugs. I checked the gaps and they were all burnt down to .55. I installed NGK LFR6AIX-11/6619 and left them set on .43. I thought the truck ran good before but now she really goes. I also noticed lots better MPG. I know it's because of the old plugs that I am noticing the difference but I'm just saying, i dont find anything wrong with the Iridiums and I didnt want to change again for a long time so they are working for me "today". I did bust my little knuckle installing them....

Just checked my iridium plugs at 40k mi and they still have a .043 gap with no wear.

Iridium plugs FTW
Old 05-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
amain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
amain's Tacoma Gallery
My stock plugs now call for Iridium plugs. Just install the supercharger and that will be the standard.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #20
Rail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to behold
Rail's Tacoma Gallery
Good, I hope mine hold up for a 100,000.