Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Exhaust sound

Old 11-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
Btwo is on a distinguished road

Btwo's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust sound

Just installed a flowmaster 40 series muffler last week. I'm not all that happy with the sound. Receiving comments that may truck sounds like a Honda Civic. And thats from my Wife. The comments from co-workers are even worse. I know the truck sounds better than a Civic there all just bustin my balls. You guys got any other suggestions? I want that deep rubble, not that "farty" sound on acceleration. What about the Banks Monster exhaust? Or the MBRP inc. exhaust system. (not many sound clips out there on those two). I have a 2008 4.0L D/C 4X4 Short Bed.

Thanks
Btwo
Old 11-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
TorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to behold

TorenApart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btwo View Post
Just installed a flowmaster 40 series muffler last week. I'm not all that happy with the sound. Receiving comments that may truck sounds like a Honda Civic. And thats from my Wife. The comments from co-workers are even worse. I know the truck sounds better than a Civic there all just bustin my balls. You guys got any other suggestions? I want that deep rubble, not that "farty" sound on acceleration. What about the Banks Monster exhaust? Or the MBRP inc. exhaust system. (not many sound clips out there on those two). I have a 2008 4.0L D/C 4X4 Short Bed.

Thanks
Btwo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WmeTVoSi_Y

That's my truck w/ Aero Turbine 2525. It's deepened up since that video I made the day i had it installed. It'd definitely recommend the Aero Turbine, along with an intake mod if you want more throaty gargly tones.

Keep in mind that it's a V6... It will never sound like a V8...
Old 11-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #3

Btwo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorenApart View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WmeTVoSi_Y

That's my truck w/ Aero Turbine 2525. It's deepened up since that video I made the day i had it installed. It'd definitely recommend the Aero Turbine, along with an intake mod if you want more throaty gargly tones.

Keep in mind that it's a V6... It will never sound like a V8...

Already have seen your clip and it definity sounds good.
You just welded the muffler into your standard exhaust? Did you order the muffler online? 2.5 inch in & out?

Thanks for the suggestion
Btwo
Old 11-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
TorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to behold

TorenApart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Already have seen your clip and it definity sounds good.
You just welded the muffler into your standard exhaust? Did you order the muffler online? 2.5 inch in & out?

Thanks for the suggestion
Btwo
Welded right in place of the stock muffler. For the Aero Turbine to function properly you need 12'' of straight piping on bother sides. Not an issue on the taco, but if you wanted to relocate, keep it in mind.

I bought mine off eBay from this same seller.
It is a 2.5'' in/out.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #5

Btwo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorenApart View Post
Welded right in place of the stock muffler. For the Aero Turbine to function properly you need 12'' of straight piping on bother sides. Not an issue on the taco, but if you wanted to relocate, keep it in mind.

I bought mine off eBay from this same seller.
It is a 2.5'' in/out.
Thanks for the info.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Have your co-workers and wife never heard a Honda Civic?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #7

Btwo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
Have your co-workers and wife never heard a Honda Civic?
Yes I'm sure they have.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
heres my JBA cat back that i installed about a month ago. its quiet cruising but at 2500-3500 RPM it starts to growl pretty good. definately doesnt sound like a ricer either. I picked up the whole SS Cat back from URD for only $306.Im going to try and get some new clips of it but here are two clips. not the best but it gives you an idea:

Old 11-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #9

Btwo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
heres my JBA cat back that i installed about a month ago. its quiet cruising but at 2500-3500 RPM it starts to growl pretty good. definately doesnt sound like a ricer either. I picked up the whole SS Cat back from URD for only $306.Im going to try and get some new clips of it but here are two clips. not the best but it gives you an idea:

Sounds very good, and at a decent price. Have to see if its avail. for my truck. It's not listed on there website.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sounds very good, and at a decent price. Have to see if its avail. for my truck. It's not listed on there website.

Thanks
Access cab STD bed and Double cab SB:
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260198007
Old 11-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #11

Btwo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
Access cab STD bed and Double cab SB:
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260198007
you da man -- I went to the jba site
thanks again
Old 11-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #12
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
honestly, I find this hard to believe that with a 40 series flowmaster that it sounds like a honda. I have the 50 series and have gotten nothing but compliments on aggressive tone (I want more so i think im going to the super 44). I mean it's no v8 but definitely no ricey
Old 11-16-2008, 05:15 AM   #13

Btwo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTycoon View Post
honestly, I find this hard to believe that with a 40 series flowmaster that it sounds like a honda. I have the 50 series and have gotten nothing but compliments on aggressive tone (I want more so i think im going to the super 44). I mean it's no v8 but definitely no ricey
They where just bustin on me. But, your wright the 40 F/M does have an aggressive sound (i'm sure more so than the 50 series F/M) but it's not the ideal tone you would like for a truck. I guess it's very simple. No aftermarket exhaust system out there will give you that V8 sound that real nice, from a V6. It's all about the one that comes the closest.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #14
caliKxracer is a jewel in the roughcaliKxracer is a jewel in the roughcaliKxracer is a jewel in the roughcaliKxracer is a jewel in the rough

Name: kyle
caliKxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got a Borla exhaust, real deep tone