Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Tacoma 6 lug 4x4 BIG BRAKE KIT

Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #22
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
no way in hell i could drop 3 gs on brakes....
Old 12-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #24
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have much experience with "big brake" kits, especially in the truck world, (those who tow big can speak to serious braking requirements) but I have spent some time on the track w/different brake setups in cars. The needs are probably worlds apart, but in the end, you are still looking for stopping power.

Track conditions will glaze up a set of OE pads, so of course you go with a setup that can handle higher temps. That means they suck for the street as they are often running too cool to grab. But a pad upgrade can give better performance w/o fading as fast, yet still stop you on a cold day.

For rotors, I prefer as much metal as possible to soak up as much heat as possible. The difference might not be much, but I always skipped out on cross drilled and slotted combos. People will argue to the death on virtues of any rotor combination. So of course a larger rotor will likely perform better.

I was definitely a fan of braided SS lines though. Seemed to help keep the pedal firm when the fluid gets hot. But I'll say I never saw any tests of the factory lines bulging out at higher temps. Also seems to offer more durability.

I did see people assume that a big brake kit on the front would work better than factory. But sometimes it seemed to just futz up the balance of the braking system. Just make sure you know what you're getting into. Otherwise you could end up replacing the master cylinder, proportioning valves, etc., just to get a properly working setup going again.

It's one thing to have some fancy intake rob you of some horsepower, but totally another to have a brake setup put you 20 ft further down the road. Some sellers just want to sell you that shiny red caliper and drilled rotor because it looks good, so look for tests and reviews, IMO.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #25
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
I need some big brakes
Old 08-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #26
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo7 View Post
I don't have much experience with "big brake" kits, especially in the truck world, (those who tow big can speak to serious braking requirements) but I have spent some time on the track w/different brake setups in cars. The needs are probably worlds apart, but in the end, you are still looking for stopping power.

Track conditions will glaze up a set of OE pads, so of course you go with a setup that can handle higher temps. That means they suck for the street as they are often running too cool to grab. But a pad upgrade can give better performance w/o fading as fast, yet still stop you on a cold day.

For rotors, I prefer as much metal as possible to soak up as much heat as possible. The difference might not be much, but I always skipped out on cross drilled and slotted combos. People will argue to the death on virtues of any rotor combination. So of course a larger rotor will likely perform better.

I was definitely a fan of braided SS lines though. Seemed to help keep the pedal firm when the fluid gets hot. But I'll say I never saw any tests of the factory lines bulging out at higher temps. Also seems to offer more durability.

I did see people assume that a big brake kit on the front would work better than factory. But sometimes it seemed to just futz up the balance of the braking system. Just make sure you know what you're getting into. Otherwise you could end up replacing the master cylinder, proportioning valves, etc., just to get a properly working setup going again.

It's one thing to have some fancy intake rob you of some horsepower, but totally another to have a brake setup put you 20 ft further down the road. Some sellers just want to sell you that shiny red caliper and drilled rotor because it looks good, so look for tests and reviews, IMO.
Read this post above. From my experience tracking my s2000, type R and EVO ix you don't need big brake kits for what we plan on doing with our tacos. Only benefit would probably be for towing. More rotor to fight off brake fade.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #27
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard of tundra brakes on 1st gen tacomas. Im not sure if they have anything compatible with 2nd gens
Old 08-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
I have heard of tundra brakes on 1st gen tacomas. Im not sure if they have anything compatible with 2nd gens
Maybe someone has done a rear disc swap on our 2nd gen.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #29
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinkin about doin it takin the axle/ hub so I can have rear disc. Also some of us do need big brakes tor def does so do I. Ill have about 575 whp an tor will be well over that so if we are gonna go fast we need 2 stop fast just sayin
Old 08-29-2013, 04:42 AM   #30
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdcfan View Post
Maybe someone has done a rear disc swap on our 2nd gen.
Www.tundraracing.com They have a rear disk conversion which uses the 4Runner rear brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdcfan View Post
Read this post above. From my experience tracking my s2000, type R and EVO ix you don't need big brake kits for what we plan on doing with our tacos. Only benefit would probably be for towing. More rotor to fight off brake fade.
Just be thankful that the PreRunners/4x4 's have 4 pot front calipers from the factory, instead of the 1 pot that the XR comes with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLLD View Post
I was thinkin about doin it takin the axle/ hub so I can have rear disc. Also some of us do need big brakes tor def does so do I. Ill have about 575 whp an tor will be well over that so if we are gonna go fast we need 2 stop fast just sayin
I love how well my brakes handled at MSR Houston. Didn't have the HP in the straights, but definitely had superb braking power for the corners. I was able to late brake my ass off with these 6 pistons. Scared quite a few times too, while I was gdtting used to it.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:11 AM   #31

DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
That's insane 6piston I'd like 2 see the 8piston ones hahaha
Old 08-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #33

DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
I've thought of doin it a couple times. I would do it myself instead of gettin there conversion kit.