Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Tacoma 6 lug 4x4 BIG BRAKE KIT

Old 12-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
socalgasking is on a distinguished road
Name: Ash
socalgasking's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma 6 lug 4x4 BIG BRAKE KIT

My tacoma is lifted with larger tires, i also have front and rear ROAD ARMOR bumpers. The mods i have made have added some weight to my truck, the brakes dont feel as responsive as i would like (it could be that i went from a M3 with amazing brakes to a truck) does anyone have experience with TACOMA 6 LUG BIG BRAKE KITS?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
SS brake lines, new pads and rotors. Good to go

To answer your question, personally I haven't seen a big brake kit for the 6 lug Tacoma.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
I have seen it for the FJ and I would think that they would fit the taco if it fits the FJ.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
I have seen it for the FJ and I would think that they would fit the taco if it fits the FJ.
Even if you do find one that fits, I'd guess you'll spend well over $2,000 on a kit when you could spend under $500 replacing stock parts and have plenty of stopping power. The main brake components of the Tacoma are plenty strong enough, you just have to remove the swell from rubber hoses and get good pads/rotors. The calipers themselves are strong enough to stop the Taco even when armored up and on bigger wheels. Just my $0.02.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Honestly I don't see anything really special about the TRD kit. Stock prerunner and 4wd trucks use 4 piston calipers. The TRD kit uses a red 4 piston caliper. Maybe the rotor is larger but I don't know. Now if the caliper was a 6 piston unit then I would say go for it.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
What do you guys think of this?

6 piston calipers bigger rotors and steel lines!!!

Major stopping power, with a major price to go with it!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...Big_Brake_Kits

I guess posting the link would be a good idea!!!
Sorry
Old 12-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Looks good if you have the coin and if it is actually legit.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Honestly I don't see anything really special about the TRD kit. Stock prerunner and 4wd trucks use 4 piston calipers. The TRD kit uses a red 4 piston caliper. Maybe the rotor is larger but I don't know. Now if the caliper was a 6 piston unit then I would say go for it.
The Stop Tech BBK, even though it is still a 4 Piston, does have a larger rotor. Thus more leverage for braking force. It is of aluminum design vs cast iron, and so it cools better as well. Then add in more brake pad surface area with better compound as well, and stainless braided lines, to reduce expansion of the rubber lines, so more consistent braking is available.

Currently I am running the Rotora 6 piston BBK. I purchased it from www.tundraracing.com. with the drilled and slotted rotors it was $2500. Yes, I have a 6 lug, and 4x4.

It is specific to the Tacoma. Rotora has 4, 6, & 8 piston versions available for the 6 lug Tacoma. I just didn't feel like spending an extra thousand for the 8 piston.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
The Stop Tech BBK, even though it is still a 4 Piston, does have a larger rotor. Thus more leverage for braking force. It is of aluminum design vs cast iron, and so it cools better as well. Then add in more brake pad surface area with better compound as well, and stainless braided lines, to reduce expansion of the rubber lines, so more consistent braking is available.

Currently I am running the Rotora 6 piston BBK. I purchased it from www.tundraracing.com. with the drilled and slotted rotors it was $2500. Yes, I have a 6 lug, and 4x4.

It is specific to the Tacoma. Rotora has 4, 6, & 8 piston versions available for the 6 lug Tacoma. I just didn't feel like spending an extra thousand for the 8 piston.

What do you think of them?
Old 12-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
Adreenaleen is on a distinguished road
Adreenaleen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalgasking View Post
My tacoma is lifted with larger tires, i also have front and rear ROAD ARMOR bumpers....
Sounds like a sweet set up. Any pics?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
atlista is on a distinguished road
atlista's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adreenaleen View Post
Sounds like a sweet set up. Any pics?
I second that.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalgasking View Post
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...Big_Brake_Kits

I guess posting the link would be a good idea!!!
Sorry
Sounds like a great set up, I just can't see spending that kind of money on a brake upgrade. Also, I've heard several times that drilled and slotted rotors aren't great for off roading because stones and crap get in the slots and holes. Smoke 'em if you got 'em I guess
Old 12-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #17
TurtleGuy
modsquad will become famous soon enoughmodsquad will become famous soon enough

Name: Andrew
modsquad's Tacoma Gallery
The brakes are one area that (IMHO) is worth keeping stock except for a decent brake line extension.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #18
Got Beer?
BeerHat will become famous soon enoughBeerHat will become famous soon enough

BeerHat's Tacoma Gallery
Sw13 toy tundra calipers and rotors is another option
Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #19
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/imag...lotted_LRG.jpg

I don't know how I feel about the universal bolt pattern on the rotor.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #20
TurtleGuy
modsquad will become famous soon enoughmodsquad will become famous soon enough

Name: Andrew
modsquad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/imag...lotted_LRG.jpg

I don't know how I feel about the universal bolt pattern on the rotor.
hmm... I don't know. I would really worry about getting grit in those holes. Occasionally my rear drums have made a terrible noise after mud/water, but I just hose them off from behind and the sound goes away.