1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD SUPERCHARGER 4.0L

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by socalgasking, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Dec 14, 2011 at 6:20 AM
    socalgasking

socalgasking [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ash
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Lifted Supercharged Tacoma 4x4 Crew Winch
    Road Armor bumpers, warn winch, toy tech 3" lift, XD rockstar wheels, all terrain tires. SUPERCHARGED, Exhaust intake
    Just bought a tacoma with a factory TRD supercharger, TRD intake, and TRD exhaust.

Still doesn't have as much power as i would like!! Any suggestions for additional performance mods?

Also the truck came lifted with larger tires and Road Armor front and rear bumpers. I think the additional weight is making the brakes really suck balls.

Any suggestions for improving brake capacity?

I found a Rotora big brake kit on HPF.com but i dont want to pay an extra 3k after dropping 40k+ on the truck.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

2. Dec 14, 2011 at 6:33 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    How big of a lift and tires? May be time to regear.

3. Dec 14, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    you should regear! you will get tons of power back, the bigger tires kills your power.

theres a group buy going on for them right now. its well worth it

4. Dec 14, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    Got any pictures....? :popcorn:

I don't know about adding any more power...how big are your tires?

Edit: regear like they said ^

5. Dec 14, 2011 at 6:36 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Go to www.URD.com and check out some of the nifty things Gadget has to offer.
    I'd bet a MAF unit would help you out a bit.
    You've got to understand though that your not going to get a whole lot more out of the setup. The heavy bumpers, lift, and larger tires are going to have an adverse effect on performance.
    Happy shopping!;)

edit - forgot re-gear :rolleyes:

6. Dec 14, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    Kurdain

Kurdain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    This may or may not matter to you but changing anything with the TRD SC set-up will void any warranty on the SC and engine.

I was working with a local dealership and TRD SC and exhaust was about it for TRD approved and warrantied modifications. That being said....

You can go to a smaller pulley on the SC, that spins the SC faster and increases the boost, however you need to know at what point the ECU can not compensate for the increases in air flow. I don't know how much 'margin' there is in the TRD reflash for the ECU, it could be at the limit now or not.

If you are at the limit you do not want to let your engine go into a lean condition (too much air per part of fuel), this will destroy a boosted (turbo or supercharged) engine in seconds.

Like these guys said though you are pushing a lot of extra weight both sprung (bumpers, body parts) and unsprung (wheels/tires). IIRC the effect on power of unsprung weight is 10x more than the same weight on the body (sprung weight). In other words wheels that are 20 pounds total heavier all around is the same as having 200 pounds in the truck. IIRC, it's been a while.

7. Dec 14, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    socalgasking

Member:
    First Name:
    Ash
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Road Armor bumpers, warn winch, toy tech 3" lift, XD rockstar wheels, all terrain tires. SUPERCHARGED, Exhaust intake

Thanks guys, i will look into re-gearing!! I freakin love this forum!!!
    the truck
    Whats up Craig!! Cant wait to get that grille!! Once i get my grill and black badges i will post some pics of the truck!! It will look like a Tacoma version of the Knight Rider!!!

8. Dec 14, 2011 at 6:51 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    :cool:

9. Dec 14, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    the 2.8" pully from urd is great too it is a noticeable difference and looks just like the factory part it even has the factory part number stamped in it.

10. Dec 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    socalgasking

Member:
    First Name:
    Ash
    San Diego
    Vehicle:

This pulley looks like exactly what i need.

My supercharger is warrantied till 100k miles from toyota, does anyone know if this pulley will void that warranty?

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!!!

11. Dec 14, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I assume that you have 35" tires. Those un-mounted alone will weigh almost 70 lbs each. Then heavier than stock wheels. Then heavier components for the lift. Then the heavier bumpers. I imagine that you are about 4600 pounds. So especially still with maybe 300 whp now, it is still going to be hard to get that heavy mass moving. That being with a stock 3.73:1. Thus why everyone else has said to regear.

Next is improve the efficiency of the exhaust. Breathe in breathe out. :)

12. Dec 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    regear and some headers!

13. Dec 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
  14. Dec 14, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    ^ I like the rear disc conversion kit. That will improve braking alot!

15. Dec 14, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    tacocolin

tacocolin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Cloudcroft New Mexico.
    Vehicle:
    Kevin's (ATO) bad ass rig he built
    Everything Kevin from ATO did on his... and then some. LOL
  16. Dec 15, 2011 at 7:07 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    You can do a rear disk conversion. It is just pretty intensive, if you want to keep the front to rear biasing equal. You will have to add in a different proportioning valve, and possibly a different master cylinder. Otherwise, with the Rotora rear disk conversion the rear will lock up before the front.

The first rear disk conversions were not that good. As the quote above tells. The newer ones as well as the Rotora ones are much better. However, I don't believe that Rotora has yet come out with a conversion for the 6 lug.

A friend of mine has both front and rear, and is working on the proportion issue as we speak. Although his XR is high modified for drifting, thus he doesn't mind the skeletal function look, other might.

17. Dec 15, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    To the OP, what are you using for tuning? The Toyota reflash?

18. Dec 15, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    "BINGO"

19. Dec 15, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    wow! really? never heard that before.. I just know my boss's silverado with 4 wheeldisc brakes stops amazingly..

20. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Those have been properly balanced/biased.

The engineers know what they are doing. The money holders prevent them from going all out. :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top