1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What dia. exh. pipe to not loose low end power?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by sportsterchop200, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Dec 16, 2011 at 5:12 PM
    sportsterchop200

sportsterchop200 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Tacoma 4x4
    OME 881, Bilstein 5100 @ 0", OME 10mm JK spacer, Stock rear on 265/70-16
    Just currious what exhaust pipe diameter is recomended to not loose bottom end power. I know a straight through muffler with stock 2.25 exhaust pipe is popular and I have read that some 2.5" cat backs loose bottom end and some alledgedly gain bottom end. I would like to hear from people that have experience with a straight through muffler and these size pipes. I primarily drive at 3000 RPM or less so bottom end power is important. I previously had an 06 Tundra and the recomendation was to keep the stock pipe and just swap the muffler. The exhaust pipe was
    2 3/8". I was thinking of maybe cutting up a factory Tundra exhaust and puting a straight through muffler. Thanks in advance for all opinions and information. My truck is an 03 Tacoma TRD 4x4 with the 3.4L.

2. Dec 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Only exhaust I have seen that keeps the stock pwer in the low RPM's has been Borla, and TRD exhausts. Otherwise, OEM pipe is best for not loosing any bottom end. 2.5" gives a very slight decrease (within the margin of error of the dyno in my tests), but a good gain up top (about 5 hp, depending on muffler used).

3. Dec 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    keep it stock

4. Dec 17, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Just to throw this out there, the y-pipe, is 2.25" diameter tubing. The OEM catback is also 2.25" diameter. Considering that two tubes of 2.25" tubing (each side of Y-pipe) enter one 2.25" tube, you can see where the restriction is. The catback should be upgraded to at least 2.5" tubing. Pick you brand by your taste.

Side topic, I run 3" that increases to 3.5" catback. :D

5. Dec 17, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I retract my description. I didn't read what year yours is until after my post.

Products Discussed in

To Top