LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

What dia. exh. pipe to not loose low end power?

Old 12-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsterchop200's Tacoma Gallery
What dia. exh. pipe to not loose low end power?

Just currious what exhaust pipe diameter is recomended to not loose bottom end power. I know a straight through muffler with stock 2.25 exhaust pipe is popular and I have read that some 2.5" cat backs loose bottom end and some alledgedly gain bottom end. I would like to hear from people that have experience with a straight through muffler and these size pipes. I primarily drive at 3000 RPM or less so bottom end power is important. I previously had an 06 Tundra and the recomendation was to keep the stock pipe and just swap the muffler. The exhaust pipe was
2 3/8". I was thinking of maybe cutting up a factory Tundra exhaust and puting a straight through muffler. Thanks in advance for all opinions and information. My truck is an 03 Tacoma TRD 4x4 with the 3.4L.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Only exhaust I have seen that keeps the stock pwer in the low RPM's has been Borla, and TRD exhausts. Otherwise, OEM pipe is best for not loosing any bottom end. 2.5" gives a very slight decrease (within the margin of error of the dyno in my tests), but a good gain up top (about 5 hp, depending on muffler used).
Old 12-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
keep it stock
Old 12-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Just to throw this out there, the y-pipe, is 2.25" diameter tubing. The OEM catback is also 2.25" diameter. Considering that two tubes of 2.25" tubing (each side of Y-pipe) enter one 2.25" tube, you can see where the restriction is. The catback should be upgraded to at least 2.5" tubing. Pick you brand by your taste.

Side topic, I run 3" that increases to 3.5" catback.