Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

brakes feel like I'm pumping them

Old 12-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
brakes feel like I'm pumping them

When I am slowing down to say a traffic light and I am lightly stepping on the brake pedal, my truck feels as if I am pumping the brakes. I only notice this going like >10mph. Its starting to get really annoying. Does anyone know what this can be? It feels like I am stepping hard on the brake, then letting off, then stepping hard, then letting off etc...

Air in the brake lines?

Bad rotors? pads?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Does it feel like when the ABS system kicks in?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
when you sit at a stop light does the pedal just start dropping to the floor?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Does it feel like when the ABS system kicks in?
No, abs feels a lot rougher than what I am experiencing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
when you sit at a stop light does the pedal just start dropping to the floor?
Nope

The rotots i got are only 6 months old..damnit if it is warped
Old 12-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
what kinda rotors did you get?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
ehhh uhhhh I got them at orieley's..use to be kragen, I cant remember the brand
Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
Warped rotor.

This!!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
If your caliper seizes of sticks, it will keep the brakes applied or dragging. This will overheat and warp the rotors in short order.
Either something was missed when the rotors were replaced, or something failed. I would focus on the work recently done.
If you drive like a demon, or got cheap rotors, warping will happen quickly.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
Steel Curtain!!
beerye is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
beerye's Tacoma Gallery
Rotors need to be turned. Do you remember when you last did them?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
Steel Curtain!!

beerye's Tacoma Gallery
Rotors need to be turned. Do you remember when you last did them?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I'll check the rotors..I dont think they need to be turned, I got them like 6 months ago

Can anyone recommend a good rotor for our truck? even a more expensive one meant for larger tires. No ceramic or slotted rotors. I think that's overkill for me
Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
I bought Brembo and they are great.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
Steel Curtain!!

beerye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
Ok, I'll check the rotors..I dont think they need to be turned, I got them like 6 months ago

Can anyone recommend a good rotor for our truck? even a more expensive one meant for larger tires. No ceramic or slotted rotors. I think that's overkill for me
I went to Orielly and they now have rotors that have a lifetime warranty. I went with them and so far so good. I did also go ceramic pads too
Old 12-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
Warped rotor.
That's your problem.^
Old 12-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #16
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
You know what...I am kinda leaning towards air in the brake lines. I changed my rear lines after I put my rear long travel on since I needed extended ones. I noticed it started happening after that and it seems to be progressively getting worse. Is that what air in the lines would feel like? I've kept an eye on the brake fluid and it hasn't gone down any since then
Old 12-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Air in the lines would make the brakes mushy IIRC.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
ok then that must not be it...warped rotors from what you guys have been saying sounds like the issue here
Old 12-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #19
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
If their was air in the lines you would be able to push the brake pedal to the floor.

Its a warped rotor.

Maybe your riding your brakes or like others said a caliper is siezed in place and caused over heating
Old 01-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #20
johnny 5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnny 5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnny 5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnny 5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnny 5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnny 5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnny 5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnny 5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnny 5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnny 5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnny 5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnny 5's Tacoma Gallery
I got my rotors at napa and they have been on longer then the factory ones were and still no warpage or brake shimmy will for sure use them in the future again. I also used monroe disk pads in front and they have really held up very well a brand my local farm and fleet handles. I ALSO HAUL ALOT OF HEAVY LOADS AND CARRY A PLOW ON IT.