1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will a filter help get some lost MPG back?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by BrianWrightWS6, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Dec 27, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    BrianWrightWS6

BrianWrightWS6 [OP] I give medicinal cocaine to baby animals.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Eastern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sport Tacoma
    5% window tinting, 6000k HID lights, Grillcraft MX series grill, Hella Black Magic 1000's
    I recently added some 285/50-R20XL Nitto - NT420S to my truck and have lost 1 mpg by doing so (was 17mpg, now 16mpg) and was wondering if anyone gained some mpg by changing out the air filter to say like a K&N or is it a waste of time on these vehicles? Thanks ahead of time!

[​IMG]

2. Dec 27, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    Most will tell you its a waste of time, when you add an intake you may get a slight increase in fuel economy if you drove it the same as before. I know when I added a TRD CAI I started using the right foot more cause it sounds so cool so I probably lost a mpg or two. They really do much for HP either but they sound really cool.

3. Dec 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    CRU

CRU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    In short, nope. If it was that easy, don't you think they would come from the manufacturer with something similar. Especially as much as they are fighting CAFE rating.

You can get about half of that mile back if you drive it like a 95 year old granny.

4. Dec 27, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    BrianWrightWS6

BrianWrightWS6 [OP] I give medicinal cocaine to baby animals.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Eastern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sport Tacoma
    5% window tinting, 6000k HID lights, Grillcraft MX series grill, Hella Black Magic 1000's
    Well horse shit. Thanks for the info anyways guys!

Products Discussed in

To Top