Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Magnaflow seems loud in Cab - Other Muffer Options?

Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
ocattaco is on a distinguished road
ocattaco's Tacoma Gallery
Magnaflow seems loud in Cab - Other Muffer Options?

Just installed a magnaflow catback system on my DBL Cab. Seems to be a bit too loud at certain RPM's creating a "droning" sort of noise that is quite annoying in the cab. Fine under hard acceleration. Fine when cruising, where it is no louder than stock. Just seems to be a problem under average city driving acceleration.

Questions:

1. Does this muffler "break in" at all such that the sound gets any quieter or more mellow?
(It doesn't make sense to me, but read in a few posts that some exhausts break in.)

2. Is there another muffler that offers similar performance gains while being quieter than the magnaflow?

3. Does anyone have dyno results showing what kind of HP/ torque gain/loss occurs for just the magnaflow catback system?

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
no no no,

I will buy the kit off you tho
Old 11-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
kubota man is on a distinguished road
kubota man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocattaco View Post
Just installed a magnaflow catback system on my DBL Cab. Seems to be a bit too loud at certain RPM's creating a "droning" sort of noise that is quite annoying in the cab. Fine under hard acceleration. Fine when cruising, where it is no louder than stock. Just seems to be a problem under average city driving acceleration.

Questions:

1. Does this muffler "break in" at all such that the sound gets any quieter or more mellow?
(It doesn't make sense to me, but read in a few posts that some exhausts break in.)

2. Is there another muffler that offers similar performance gains while being quieter than the magnaflow?

3. Does anyone have dyno results showing what kind of HP/ torque gain/loss occurs for just the magnaflow catback system?

Thanks.
I lost a couple mpg on mine but it does break in a little bit kindly use to mine now wasint to happly at first sounded a little rice at first but it did break in after a few thousend miles
Old 11-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
the muffler will break in a bit and get more mellow, but depending on the size of the muffler, chances are you will still probably have a bit of a drone in the cab. you could swap out the muffler for a dynomax super turbo muffler.....a bit quieter, no drone, and straight thru flow.........more horses and mileage.....so should be about the same as a magnaflow.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
ocattaco is on a distinguished road
ocattaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone for the responses. I will give it a bit of time.

I am pretty sure that I will be swapping it out for something quieter though.

If anyone has more suggestions/ experience I would like to hear it.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:38 AM   #6
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
my offer still stands
Old 11-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
if u want to get the in cab sound taken down some, have someone weld the muffler to the pipes instead of the retarded hose clamps they give w/ the catback
Old 11-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
It will break in. I hated mine when I first got it as well. I ended up pulling out the rear cats and throwing in the URD Y pipe which made it sound even better!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
Nor*Cal
norcalbb11 has a spectacular aura aboutnorcalbb11 has a spectacular aura about

norcalbb11's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to norcalbb11 Send a message via Yahoo to norcalbb11
got a sound clip of it 06bluez?
Old 11-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
cmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to behold

cmytacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I got the same muffler just no pipes because of the same reason, previous owner thought it was too loud. After a little while it did die down and i love the way it sounds. cheap and easy way to make it sound the way it looks. MEAN
Old 11-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #11
wes is on a distinguished road

wes's Tacoma Gallery
URD CAI,Y-Pipe and 3 in. exh

i have a dynomax turbo quiet muffler mated to the above setup on my truck and i love all of it except that 1300 rpm drone.Makes me wanna throw fu**#** wrenches!!!!! I will find a way to fix this.I have had the exhaust system on my truck for about 4 months.

I would buy URD though--it's high quality stuff!!!!!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
bassist19406 is on a distinguished road
bassist19406's Tacoma Gallery
if you are looking for a quieter exhaust i put a gibson catback on mine and it gives a near stock sound,a little deeper cant hear it in the truck,but i am the type of person that would rather listen to an exhaust tan the radio so i am running catless now.hope this helps
Old 12-13-2008, 10:15 PM   #13
106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about

106Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i will be getting rid of my magnaflow also. I think my mpg are bad because of it, today i took a trip and only made it 250 miles on a full tank before i had to fill again.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
For those that have too much drone in the cab, but are happy with their exhaust system, have a muffler shop install a resonator after the muffler. It should get rid of the drone.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #15
106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about

106Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sound does not bother me at all, in fact it sounds the best out of all the mufflers! This thing is a beast from behind on a hard take off. My exhaust has seen 3 winters and still looks new.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #16
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
These trucks are pretty damn quiet (SILENT) from factory - so unless your new exhaust claims to be AS QUIET as stock (what fun would that be?) - you're gonna have some noise/drone in the cab.

I have a Flowmaster dual kit (50 series) and it's got some drone to it.

The question is - can you block out the drone with the radio?
Yeah, I can do that.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:00 PM   #17
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 106Tacoma View Post
i will be getting rid of my magnaflow also. I think my mpg are bad because of it, today i took a trip and only made it 250 miles on a full tank before i had to fill again.
that foot will mpg's sooner than the exhaust will. look at the other vehicles u drive. if u want good mpg's from this truck, regardless of exhaust, u need to keep it under 2k rpm's. i got 325 miles on my last tank and that was just over the light coming on. i've also got a DC, toolbox filled w/ weight, and 32's.