1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold air intake

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by rld, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Dec 31, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    rld

rld [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Hokes Bluff, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 4wd TRD Sport
    I'm a new member to this site and a new owner of a Tacoma. I have been looking at different accessories to add on to my new truck. What are the benefits/pros of a cold air intake? Also, are there any cons? I would really like to hear from someone with some firsthand experience(Before and after performance).

2. Dec 31, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    You got a cai when you purchased your truck but if you want braaaPppp buy a afe cai

3. Dec 31, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW! Tons of threads on this, and comments from folks who have run them. Search around, read the threads, and make your own conclusion.

4. Dec 31, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    PerfectTekniq

PerfectTekniq I'm undefeated in the UFC.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pepe Silvia
    Claremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Super White 4x4 DC SB Sport
    AllPro Front, AllPro Rear w/ wraps, AllPro IFS Skid, 5100 w/ 885's upfront, Duratracs, Front Superbumps, BuiltRight UCAs, Dakar Leaf Pack, Extended 5100's, AllPro Flip Kit, Rear Superbumps, Extended SS brake lines WeatherTech Floormats, TRD Intake, ScanGaugeII, TRD SoCal, Grillcraft, Wet Okoles, Cobra 75 w/ 4' whip
    You won't get 15+ hp like all the companies say. Mostly it'll bring some sound out of your engine.
    You're better off saving for a SC if you really want HP.

5. Dec 31, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    On many engines an aftermarket intake can be a waste of money.

I can tell you this I have done extensive dyno testing on the different Toyota trucks and I can tell you for a fact you will pick up power when you get that restictive stock air filter box off of your 1GR engine.

Out of the ones I have tested, the URD makes the most power improvement. On my 2005 XRunner we picked up around 18 RWHP.

The next best of the ones I have tested is the aFe Stage 2si. On my 2006 4Runner we picked up 12 RWHP.

This was using a DynoJet Dyno.

G

6. Dec 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Did you do a dyno run on all the intakes or just those two? I'd love to see the differences in intakes (TRD/aFe/Stock/etc,etc) on a dyno to settle the debate once and for all.

7. Dec 31, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    chriss

chriss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    There's a bunch of bad information repeated about the "CAI". Cold Air Intakes have been put on production cars for decades. After-market CAIs are intended to help with flow.

Cooler air is denser than warmer air. But, temperature is not the only thing that affects air density. As we know, pressure has a greater influence on air density. Think turbo or blower. In “normally aspirated” engines, air is drawn into the combustion chamber. Low pressure on one side, higher pressure onthe other, the air flows to the low pressure area. The throttle body obviously has the greatest influence on this flow. However, the pressure gradient is affected by all the components in the intake path. Tubing size, length, bends,shape changes, filters, silencers, all add to the loss. The higher flows willsuffer the greatest pressure differential. Air volumes are measured by MAF, Mass Air Flow, sensors. By measuring mass they avoid the pressure measurement issues. (The MAF sensor measures the airflow across a known cross-sectional area. If that sensor is moved to a different size tube it is no longer accurate. That is a problem with some after-market intakes.)

So, a lot of people say that if you don’t go full throttle,then this doesn’t matter. Not true.

Example. My garage is approx. 5000 feet high. I routinely drive to 9000+ feet. Since the atmospheric pressure is low, the engine needs agreater volume to make up the same mass as at lower altitudes. This leads to agreater pressure loss across the intake. So, I pulled the secondary filter,replaced the air filter with a high flow unit, and removed the silencer in the fender. Yes, there’s a little more intake noise but the performance change was noticeable.

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_abs.htm

8. Dec 31, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    The changes you made have no impact on the pressure of the incomming air. THe only wat to affect the intake pressure is by a turbo, or super charger.

9. Jan 1, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    chriss

chriss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say. But yes I did not and cannot change the atomspheric conditions. I can change the pressure loss across the intake track.

10. Jan 1, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    The changes you made have no impact on the "pressure loss" in the intake. The silencers have no impact on flow what so ever, the secondary filter (unless you have a 2.7) has been proven to have no restriction in the intake, and the OEM filter flows much more air than the engine can inhale, so adding a K&N filter is moot, unless you want a re useable filter.

11. Jan 1, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    chriss

chriss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Chris, I read your other thread with the paper attached. That study also recognizes the pressure loss in a "stock" intake system.
    The Camry showed a 1.58 kPa loss with the new filter at WOT. (I mention the Camry because yes I have the 2.7.) 1.58 kPa is about 0.23 psi. It also shows a 1.26 sec loss in 20 to 80 mph acceleration. 7% by their numbers.
    If removing the secondary filter has been proven to improve flow, why would we assume that removing the Helmholtz chamber would not? Or for that matter, using a aftermarket "CAI"?
    My point about the altitude is that it takes more volume, hence closer to WOT to make the same power. More volume, more pressure loss. If I can improve the pressure loss, I can improve power.
    However, you are correct about mpg. Since the computer balances the air/fuel ratio, limited air intake would have no infuence on mpg.

12. Jan 1, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    The loss in time in acceleration was accomplished with a filter obstructed to near failure. Removing the charcoal filter has NOT been proven to have any impact on the engine (1GR-FE). The sound dampeners in the intake tract are simply to silence the sound pulses. Once again, no impact on air flow. The ONLY way to change the intake pressue on your engine is to turbocharge, or supercharge, or move to a lower elevation. The "mods" you have done to your engine have been dyno proven to give no gains, or any within the margin of error of the dyno. IN fact, one guy dyno'ed his truck (Before, and after) with the OEM filter, then with NO filter, and showed the gains to be less than 2 hp. And that was only 2 runs. Not an average of 6 (3 stock/3modded) to get an accurate read.

13. Jan 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    chriss

chriss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Wow, I wouldn't have thought that saying lowering intake restriction would give more power, would cause such an issue. I think we are in agreement with the mechanics of this, but not on whether the results are significant.
    I'm not claiming huge gains. I'm just trying to get all available pressure at this altitude. If the atomspheric pressure is 12.5 psia, I want minimize loss and have the engine see all 12.5 psia.
    And, I certainly don't believe the gains claimed by the manufacturers of the aftermarket intakes.

14. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    What Im saying is, THere isnt any significant restriction in the intake. If the air pressure in your area is 12.5 #'s, then it will be the same in your intake. The "loss in pressure" happens behind the throttle body, as that is the single most restrictive device in the engine. Put a vacuum gauge behind the air filter, do some WOT runs, and see if the gauge even moved. Odds are, it wont. Many people are under the impresion that these engines need 14,0000 cu. ft of air going thru the intake. Think about this.....Your engine has a max CC volume of less than 42 cu. in., or about half the size of a regular drinking cup. The engine needs this amount of air 4 times, every other revolution. The OEM Filter, intake system, sound dampeners, etc., flow this very easilly. If removing, or altering the intake, resonators, or the like, improved the pumping efficiency of the engine to any degree, a very well paid engineer in Erlanger, Kentucky would have figured out how to impliment it into the production vehicle.

15. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    chriss

chriss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Please take a moment to read and edit this post.

16. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    soorry...

17. Jan 2, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    chriss

chriss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Chris, Ok, I get it now. I've been reasonably polite and tried convey my point. You're obviously just screwing with me. You make one statement and then make a contrary statement right after. You have a complete other thread that contradicts what your saying here. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/195952-air-filters-mpg.html

If you have a question regarding my point, ask, I will try and answer to your satisfaction. However, you can continue on with the regular internet bulletin board crap without me.

18. Jan 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I dont see how that contradicts what Im saying? Its about how dirty filters affect mpg, and the post I made says that even when they are pluigged to the point of failure, they dont impact mpg as one would think. Now, what Im gathering from you in this post is, that adding a K&N filter, removing the charcoal filter, and silencer, increases hp. To which I added that a member on here dyno'ed his truck with no filter, and found the gain to be within the margin of error of the dyno, thus being negligable. So, given that the deletion of the filter all together showed virtually no gain, why would a K&N filter give any at all?

19. Jan 2, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    ICEMAN

ICEMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Middleburg, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DC Silver 4x4
    Weather tech floormats K&N CAI fabtech 6" lift procomp 17x9 6079 Nitto Terra grapplers N Fab Nerf bars Nfab Light Bar Hella 500 FF
    Whoa! sh!t is getting hot in here

20. Jan 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    No, its not. I dont think anyone is getting agitated, just trying to figure out what the other is sayin maybe?

Products Discussed in

To Top