Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

4.56 or 4.10

View Poll Results: what gear ratio should i get?
4.10 11 47.83%
4.56 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #21
sparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nice

Name: Sparky
sparkystaco's Tacoma Gallery
I run 33's with stock gears and have yet to notice any power differance
Old 01-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkystaco View Post
I run 33's with stock gears and have yet to notice any power differance
Unless you havent updated your truck info to the left 305/65-R16's are not 33's... Try 31.5"s....

I know to most guys this <---------------------> looks like it is 6 inches but you should really measure more accurately.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #23
sparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nice

Name: Sparky
sparkystaco's Tacoma Gallery
tire calculater says 32.56"
the ruler says 32 3/4"
thats really close enough to call 33"
Old 01-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #24
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
:rubs face:

Threads like this always make me nervous because usually there's a ton of chiming in without any information.

OP: Depending on what you want to do with your truck, both ratios are good choices. 4.10 and 33" tires gives you ratios roughly equivalent to stock, so you will see stock-like power and RPMs, slightly better around-town mileage, and slightly worse highway mileage compared to what you're getting now.

4.56 will be an overgear for 33s. This is good for wheeling, not so good for daily driving. Your mileage will suffer considerably on the highway. However, if you wheel (which you don't), they will offer a LOT more control in obstacles.

For you, I would recommend 4.10 gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
You can either go with power and/or gears. Because I have the extra power from the S/C I dont need to gear so high, so I think the tax returns are going to 4.10 gears and arb lockers front and rear.
Power and gears are not identical offroad. Increased engine output does nothing to help you descend steep grades or maintain control in the rocks. While extra power is nice, it's only nice if it's geared correctly.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #25
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkystaco View Post
tire calculater says 32.56"
the ruler says 32 3/4"
thats really close enough to call 33"

My bad, I had a 16" rim put in not a 17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post

Power and gears are not identical offroad. Increased engine output does nothing to help you descend steep grades or maintain control in the rocks. While extra power is nice, it's only nice if it's geared correctly.
The power is good for turning the tires. A lot of people dont think about descending down a hill so very good point on that one. Most people only think about the power/gears to turn the heavier tires on and offroad which is what I was talking about as well. I have the power to turn the heavier tires, be it 33 or 35" tires. I want to go with 4.10's because its a good blend of still getting decent performance/milage on the street and still plenty of offroad torque.

Point in case is having the 2.7L engine, your going to need to gear a TON higher to get the torque/power to turn 35's. At that point your truck will be almost unusable on the freeway.

I didnt mean to say that gears and power are the same thing. If I was going for strictly a offroad machine than it would be gears all the way but I can balence my truck with a little of both because I have more of one currently than the other, most people gear higher because they dont.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
Thanks for the info and yes I do wheel my truck just not the same way you wheel your
Oh no doubt, you are LT. I wouldnt expect us to wheel the same. Each person has there own needs with there truck.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
tldr
TLDR?
Old 01-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #29
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The power is good for turning the tires. A lot of people dont think about descending down a hill so very good point on that one. Most people only think about the power/gears to turn the heavier tires on and offroad which is what I was talking about as well. I have the power to turn the heavier tires, be it 33 or 35" tires. I want to go with 4.10's because its a good blend of still getting decent performance/milage on the street and still plenty of offroad torque.

Point in case is having the 2.7L engine, your going to need to gear a TON higher to get the torque/power to turn 35's. At that point your truck will be almost unusable on the freeway.

I didnt mean to say that gears and power are the same thing. If I was going for strictly a offroad machine than it would be gears all the way but I can balence my truck with a little of both because I have more of one currently than the other, most people gear higher because they dont.

True. It'll bring the power back, and for a lot of people, that's all that's needed.

Quote:
tldr

That's good...that'll help you be more informed
Old 01-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #31
Quote:
I'm actually mid travel
Do you just have spacers on your wheels as well? I am mid travel and my tires dont stick out anywhere near that far.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #33
Quote:
Quote:
Check my build click the Sig pic
A simple yes or no would save me the time and effort to dig through his build page.... ASSHOLES.. LoL
Old 01-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #35
Quote:
skip to page 4 for the reason theyre so far out (hint: tc lcas)
Thanks... Thats still considered a mid travel truck? Interesting, I digress... On your little truck sig on the right it says you want to go up to 34"s, any plan on doing that in the near future?
Old 01-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #36
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Get 4.56

I have them, and i freaking love them.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #37
Banned
johnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: john
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnw Send a message via Yahoo to johnw
Quote:
Thanks... Thats still considered a mid travel truck? Interesting, I digress... On your little truck sig on the right it says you want to go up to 34"s, any plan on doing that in the near future?
not the near future i was going to get 34's but htey were on national back order around this time last year so i went with 33's mickey thompsons atz so i got alot of miles left on these
Old 01-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #38
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post

Threads like this always make me nervous because usually there's a ton of chiming in without any information.

OP: Depending on what you want to do with your truck, both ratios are good choices. 4.10 and 33" tires gives you ratios roughly equivalent to stock, so you will see stock-like power and RPMs, slightly better around-town mileage, and slightly worse highway mileage compared to what you're getting now.

4.56 will be an overgear for 33s. This is good for wheeling, not so good for daily driving. Your mileage will suffer considerably on the highway. However, if you wheel (which you don't), they will offer a LOT more control in obstacles.

For you, I would recommend 4.10 gears.

^^ This guy knows his shit :P
Old 01-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #39
Quote:
not the near future i was going to get 34's but htey were on national back order around this time last year so i went with 33's mickey thompsons atz so i got alot of miles left on these
Ah ok... I was wondering because if you were going to do 34's you might as well do the 4.56. Ultimately its your decision and hat works best for you, cant let me or any of the other arm chair experts tell you what to do. Either way you have a sick truck that is only getting better. Would love to wheel with you some day.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #40
Banned
johnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: john
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnw Send a message via Yahoo to johnw
Quote:
Ah ok... I was wondering because if you were going to do 34's you might as well do the 4.56. Ultimately its your decision and hat works best for you, cant let me or any of the other arm chair experts tell you what to do. Either way you have a sick truck that is only getting better. Would love to wheel with you some day.
Well if I ever come to the dark sode of the moon with my truck I would go wheeling with yah