Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

4.56 or 4.10

View Poll Results: what gear ratio should i get?
4.10 11 47.83%
4.56 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #61
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
so I see that the 8" was carried over from the 1st gen. I have my old 4:10 gears from my first gen. ( I ran 4:88s and 35s on that truck and it had great power, but screamed at 75 mph and had horrible mpg)

I see on East Coast Gear Supply that you need a double drilled flange.

Can the gears be used?

Just curious

Justin
Old 01-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #62
Banned
johnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: john
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnw Send a message via Yahoo to johnw
Quote:
Originally Posted by My68ur8trd View Post
so I see that the 8" was carried over from the 1st gen. I have my old 4:10 gears from my first gen. ( I ran 4:88s and 35s on that truck and it had great power, but screamed at 75 mph and had horrible mpg)

I see on East Coast Gear Supply that you need a double drilled flange.

Can the gears be used?

Just curious

Justin
im not quite sure
Old 01-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #63
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
im not quite sure

I know they wont fit the front ( I am pretty sure the 1st gen were 7.5" up front), but I was curious about the rear

Justin
Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #64
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by My68ur8trd View Post
I know they wont fit the front ( I am pretty sure the 1st gen were 7.5" up front), but I was curious about the rear

Justin
i think from what i remember reading, its just a direct swap, and u could change the flanges from one to the other to get it to work. not sure if this is right, but i think thats what i read. now for the front u would have to get 4.10 gears from a 2.7 with the 8"clamshell on the second gen.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #65
ao6902 is on a distinguished road
Name: Arya
ao6902's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 01 2wd with normal diameter tires. What gears should I run to get better gas mileage and go a lil faster on hwy?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #66
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
4.10's from the 2.7 fit.

Just hung up with ECGS and the guy tells me (as he's laughing) that 4:10 from a different Toyota rear will NOT fit my 08 TRD Sport/2wd auto tranny.
Also he tells me the tranny is a 6spd auto....umm, maybe I'm an idiot and im wrong, but I could've sworn it's a 5spd auto :O

Meanwhile, after telling me 4:10 won't fit in my truck, he says he can easily sell me a rebuilt (pumpkin only) rear with a 4:10 in it for $615.

Fact of the matter (now) is, I'm totally fucking confused now, and just as aggravated! Because I have the money, and Im pretty sure my decision is made on the 4:10 ratio....but I have no freaking idea where or who to get a damn 4:10 from.

And further confused me about all this "locker" talk...is the "locker" option the feature that the TRD off-road has where you just hit the button and it locks the other wheel to simulate posi traction?

I wanted this damn thing geared for this summer so that I can more easily yank my heavy jetski/trailer through all the elevation changes along the highway travels.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #67
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma 4.10 w/ elocker and without aretwo different gears. They dont interchange. He may be right depending on what vehicle you told him. Also setting up gears is a mother fucker... do a core swap on a. 3rd member rear and front diff with the larger numerical carrier and it will be plug and play. If not, you gotta pay out the ass to have the gears set up.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #68
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
I told him my truck (in detail) and that I wanted 4:10.

I have 2wd...no front diff to worry about. And I plan to pay a qualified professional shop to do any and all of the work.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out what a 3rd member is. I'm only familiar with differentials from a simple, rear wheel drive car standpoint - not all this confusing truck shit (as per reading ECGS's website)

I have all the money I need for this....and can't seem to get a damn plan of attack off the ground!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #69
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
I plan to throw some 4.10's in as soon as I have the outrageous amount of money shops want to install them.