Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

AFE pro dry

Old 01-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
shooter3225 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
shooter3225's Tacoma Gallery
AFE pro dry

So my buddy gave me a K&N filter a couple months back and I was happy..until I had to clean and buy oil for it

After reading about CAIs I decided I'm just gonna buy a drop in pro dry and save some cash. I've been looking online and been seeing them for around $70-75 and I thought I saw some people who found some better prices...anybody know of a cheaper deal?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
Squisha will become famous soon enough
Squisha's Tacoma Gallery
+1, Amazon, about 50 bucks, free shipping.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisha View Post
+1, Amazon, about 50 bucks, free shipping.
+2 --that's where I got mine...year and a half ago.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a benefit to the Pro Dry S vs. the Pro 5 R?

5R says 5 layers of cotten media and is washable

Pro Dry S says 2 layers of media and is also washable

Same price, seems the 5 R would clean better but the Dry S would allow better flow?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Onion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jason
Onion27's Tacoma Gallery
Pro Dry S is just like it says...Dry. Pro 5 R needs to be oiled.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Is there a benefit to the Pro Dry S vs. the Pro 5 R?

5R says 5 layers of cotten media and is washable

Pro Dry S says 2 layers of media and is also washable

Same price, seems the 5 R would clean better but the Dry S would allow better flow?
Mornin' Pugga!
Now I got to go look at which one I have...never caught the two models before. either.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion27 View Post
Pro Dry S is just like it says...Dry. Pro 5 R needs to be oiled.
Ah... I missed the 'oiled OE replacement performance filter' part

Seems like the 5R would be more similar to a K&N and have the same potential issues of buggering up the MAF sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Mornin' Pugga!
Now I got to go look at which one I have...never caught the two models before. either.
Morning! I'm getting close to just saying F-it and going with the full Stage 2 Si. I've already got a TRD filter, but it's getting old and I'm sure could use replacing.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I didn't know putting oil on a filter could be so difficult.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I didn't know putting oil on a filter could be so difficult.
It's not, but there seems to be more issues with the K&N's out of the box. Personally, I've run K&N's on past trucks and never had an issue with them but I figure if people are having problems, I'll go with another brand.

Do you know if the TRD filter is oiled? From what I can tell, I think it is
Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
It's not, but there seems to be more issues with the K&N's out of the box. Personally, I've run K&N's on past trucks and never had an issue with them but I figure if people are having problems, I'll go with another brand.

Do you know if the TRD filter is oiled? From what I can tell, I think it is
I have seen people add oil to a new K&N right out of the box even though it says don't add oil. That is where some of the issues start. My twin turbo RX7 couldn't pull the oil out of the K&N filters.

Yes the TRD is oiled. I have both the TRD and AFE filters for my TRD intake. I found a lot of dust past the AFE so I switched back to the TRD.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I have seen people add oil to a new K&N right out of the box even though it says don't add oil. That is where some of the issues start. My twin turbo RX7 couldn't pull the oil out of the K&N filters.

Yes the TRD is oiled. I have both the TRD and AFE filters for my TRD intake. I found a lot of dust past the AFE so I switched back to the TRD.
Interesting... I might just clean up TRD and keep it.