Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

REVIEW: AFE Magnum Force Intake VS. Volant Sealed Intake w/ RAM Scoop

Old 08-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #21
jtnyc is on a distinguished road
jtnyc's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I'm interested in getting the same setup w/ the RAM scoop. Can you post more pics with the scoop? Thanks
Old 08-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
STRIKER TRD
akaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
akaryanreynolds's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a picture of the set up. Im just wondering if theres any issues on opening you hood after the scoop kit is installed OR if there is a problem with water being sucked in on a rainy day.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #23
brny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Bill
brny67's Tacoma Gallery
Op is the sound better with the scoop on cimpared to when u had just the cai
Old 08-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #24
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaryanreynolds View Post
Here's a picture of the set up. Im just wondering if theres any issues on opening you hood after the scoop kit is installed OR if there is a problem with water being sucked in on a rainy day.

No problems with water getting in, it would be very hard. I also have the pre filter mesh filter over the outer cone filter that is water proof.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #25
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brny67 View Post
Op is the sound better with the scoop on cimpared to when u had just the cai
Heck yea, you can hear a very noticeable sucking sound from the front of the truck.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #26
jtnyc is on a distinguished road
jtnyc's Tacoma Gallery
is the air coming from behind the radiator? If so wouldn't it be pretty hot air?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #27
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnyc View Post
is the air coming from behind the radiator? If so wouldn't it be pretty hot air?
It sits in top of the radiator
Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #28
Burrito Member
Sdfitted is on a distinguished road

Name: AJ
Sdfitted's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ever get the tbs?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:06 PM   #29
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Yes but I didn't like it. My exhaust drowned out any cool whistle and when I would shift, it sounded like a diesel almost but not in. Good way.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #30
808 Member
WailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
WailuaTaco808's Tacoma Gallery
I have the volant intake and i love it. Im contemplating the scoop. Im in hawaii and im not very fond of shipping expenses. I also have the TBS which i love as well but i definitely know what Jay is talking about. Sometimes its annoying but so far anyone who has gotten into my truck has liked it.

should i buy the scoop?????? or is it not worth it???
Old 02-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #31
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WailuaTaco808 View Post
I have the volant intake and i love it. Im contemplating the scoop. Im in hawaii and im not very fond of shipping expenses. I also have the TBS which i love as well but i definitely know what Jay is talking about. Sometimes its annoying but so far anyone who has gotten into my truck has liked it.

should i buy the scoop?????? or is it not worth it???
I would buy it, def. worth it
Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #32
808 Member
WailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWailuaTaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

$200 worth it??? thats kinda expensive for an accessory dontcha think? Would u maybe make a youtube vid of ur scoop? just curious im sure others would love to hear it and see it.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #33
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
$200 worth it??? thats kinda expensive for an accessory dontcha think? Would u maybe make a youtube vid of ur scoop? just curious im sure others would love to hear it and see it.
Look on ebay or autoanything, only around $100 i think
Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #34
808 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
Look on ebay or autoanything, only around $100 i think
150 on auto anything. plus 50 for shipping...... Thats living in HI for ya...
Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #35
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
150 on auto anything. plus 50 for shipping...... Thats living in HI for ya...
Damn, theres a guy on here selling the whole kit, see if he will sell the scoop..?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #36
808 Member

Quote:
Damn, theres a guy on here selling the whole kit, see if he will sell the scoop..?
worth a try, thanks for the tip

edit::: its sold already. im SOL
Old 02-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #38
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiostaco View Post
So other then sound did you notice a difference with the scoop?
chicks............chicks dig scoops!

good question, the volant was on my "trial" list for a long time but I never got around to buying one
Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #39
Bridgerb123 is on a distinguished road
Bridgerb123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey guys, figured I would give a little review on a couple intakes I've had and currently have. Both intakes were on my 2005 Toyota 4x4 4.0 V6.

First: AFE Magnum Force Intake- (Past set up)

-This intake was a great intake. The installation was a breeze and everything aligned and bolted up easily, and as it should. The biggest thing I liked about the intake was that it was LOUD! And loud at all times, not just romping on it at 4K. I could hear it working as low as 1500 rpm. The one thing that I didn't like about it was that it was that it wasn't completely sealed. All the sides were enclosed besides the one that connects to the fender (where the stock intake location draws air). They just left 'that side of the box' off. That would be my only complaint about the intake. I saw a bit more throttle response over stock and didn't see any mpg gain. But, if you are looking for a fairly inexpensive intake for the NOISE, this is the intake to get. The only reason I got rid of it was because I thought I had a solid deal on a TRD intake and sold it beforehand. Then the deal fell through.. so I was left with stock.

Pic of intake that was on my truck:

Second: Volant CAI (w/ optional RAM SCOOP)

-I just received this intake recently. The installation was a little bit harder than the AFE, but not too bad. Took around 1hr. The intake took some maneuvering and sliding around until I could get the MAF sensor and all hoses lined up correctly. (One thing that I'm not a real fan of is that the MAF sensor doesn't seem to line up 100% correctly like OEM. Granted, everything works fine just not completely how I would like it too). The VOLANT is 100% sealed which I love. It also fits in the fender wall location perfect. No gaps or anything. As far as performance, my truck seems to have a lot more throttle response over stock, and the AFE for that matter. It gives the truck a nice rumble on start up/idle but is quieter than the AFE (still sounds great though) at all RPMs. I'm assuming this is due to the completely sealed design. I have the optional RAM Scoop on order and will report back when it gets installed!

Overall:

-I like both intakes. The AFE and Volant are the only two brands I have "tested" with and like both. I would like to find another AFE for my 2007 or maybe even try a K&N or TRD. Both intakes sound great and both have their pro's. I would recommend either one to anyone who is looking for an intake for the sound, looks, and throttle response gain. Besides that, I didn't see any real HP and MPG gains with either (and I'm okay with that)

Pic of Volant Intake (current set up)

Has your check engine light turned due to your MAF sensor? I have heard that's a common problem with these? And how loud is it? I don't want it to be so loud that I can't understand what people are saying (obviously it will be when I gun it!) but I do have a trd exhaust that gives a good sound for me but would like a little more. I was thinking about getting the same set up...volant intake with scoop but I don't want you have to buy a URD MAF Calibrator. Let me know...thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #40
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgerb123 View Post
Has your check engine light turned due to your MAF sensor? I have heard that's a common problem with these? And how loud is it? I don't want it to be so loud that I can't understand what people are saying (obviously it will be when I gun it!) but I do have a trd exhaust that gives a good sound for me but would like a little more. I was thinking about getting the same set up...volant intake with scoop but I don't want you have to buy a URD MAF Calibrator. Let me know...thanks!

FWIW, I have the Volant CAI and Volant ram air scoop.

I also have, but have not installed a URD MAF blackbox.

My truck has no check engine light in a couple thousand miles.

I have heard that you need to ensure the proper seal of the MAF sensor. The Volant setup, does not use small spacers on the MAF sensor screws and in effect can not be tightened to fully seat the MAF sensor. Adding small spacers allows you to tighten the MAF so there it is secure and done right, no air leaks.

Adding more, so far, this setup has taken a big hit on the fuel economy. Same driving routes, same driving style. Overall though the power is a bit smoother than oem, and better under part throttle acceleration, such as getting on and up to highway speed.

At some point I will instal the URD MAF blackbox, just have not had time to splice it in. I did install connectors so it is easily removed with no rework to the wires.

I would really like to try a Volant scoop coupled with an AFE CAI

PK