Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

REVIEW: AFE Magnum Force Intake VS. Volant Sealed Intake w/ RAM Scoop

Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #41
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
FWIW, I have the Volant CAI and Volant ram air scoop.

I also have, but have not installed a URD MAF blackbox.

My truck has no check engine light in a couple thousand miles.

I have heard that you need to ensure the proper seal of the MAF sensor. The Volant setup, does not use small spacers on the MAF sensor screws and in effect can not be tightened to fully seat the MAF sensor. Adding small spacers allows you to tighten the MAF so there it is secure and done right, no air leaks.

Adding more, so far, this setup has taken a big hit on the fuel economy. Same driving routes, same driving style. Overall though the power is a bit smoother than oem, and better under part throttle acceleration, such as getting on and up to highway speed.

At some point I will instal the URD MAF blackbox, just have not had time to splice it in. I did install connectors so it is easily removed with no rework to the wires.

I would really like to try a Volant scoop coupled with an AFE CAI

PK
I experienced the same drop in MPG. Also, this was used on my auto truck. It seemed, for me, it made the truck want to shift "weird". i.e. when getting on te freeway, it wouldnt want to shift unless I manually shifted it over from D-4-D. I attribute this only to the Volant because I would take it off and switch back to OEM, and the shifting would resume back to normal. Went back to Volant, same shift issues. ETC ETC. Each time, I would disconnect the battery as well. Never really got a CEL but needless to say, I'm back to stock on one truck, and TRD Gen 1 on the other.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #42
Bridgerb123 is on a distinguished road
Bridgerb123's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the responses...well it sounds like they suck in quaility and gas haha! I am new to all of this but have read a.lot about it. I have heard though if you do put on the URD MAF calibrator that it will take care of those issues and help with performance, but they are $299 (for the plug N play version so you don't have to solder). So I guess the bottom line that I am coming to from all my reading is if you gets mods even if its just an intake and exhaust you need to use that calibrater to have you truck work properly.

If anyone out there has the URD MAF calibrator let me know how you like it and if its worth it? Also I haven't been able to find much about once you install the calibrator how it works...in that would I have to go get my car tuned (which some have done)or does it just auto adjust to the mods you have (so people make it seem that easy, but that seems way to easy)? I feel like this is a grey area when people talk about the URD MAF cal. I have emailed URD but they haven't gotten back to me yet, so any insight would help. Thanks!!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #43
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
AFE Stage II SI is EXACTLY the same as the gen1 TRD intake for the 1grfe, it just has AFE stamped on it instead of TRD. The TRD gen 1 is very difficult to find now and the gen 2 is garbage

AFE Stage II SI
Attachment 141019
Gen 1 TRD CAI (for 1grfe)
Attachment 141020
Gen 2 TRD CAI (for 1grfe)
Attachment 141021
the gen 2 isnt garbage... most people just dont know that its made for the FJ and Tacoma, and when installed on the Tacoma, you need to cut part of the plastic tubing to make it shorter. there is even a line marked on the intake tubing where youre supposed to cut it. if you dont cut it, truck will throw a CEL and run way too lean.... because its installed incorrectly. if you do it right, and research before you buy, its better than the gen 1.

also, for the post above, i have the URD MAF CAL, with a stock intake (TRD High-Flow air filter) and a TRD exhaust. it has made a huge difference, and being able to go to the dyno and have someone dyno-tune it is worth it in itself over stock. its also really easy to load maps onto it to see what works best for your set up. i dont have the plug and play kit, just wired it in, and it works great.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #44
Bridgerb123 is on a distinguished road
Bridgerb123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
FWIW, I have the Volant CAI and Volant ram air scoop.

I also have, but have not installed a URD MAF blackbox.

My truck has no check engine light in a couple thousand miles.

I have heard that you need to ensure the proper seal of the MAF sensor. The Volant setup, does not use small spacers on the MAF sensor screws and in effect can not be tightened to fully seat the MAF sensor. Adding small spacers allows you to tighten the MAF so there it is secure and done right, no air leaks.

Adding more, so far, this setup has taken a big hit on the fuel economy. Same driving routes, same driving style. Overall though the power is a bit smoother than oem, and better under part throttle acceleration, such as getting on and up to highway speed.

At some point I will instal the URD MAF blackbox, just have not had time to splice it in. I did install connectors so it is easily removed with no rework to the wires.

I would really like to try a Volant scoop coupled with an AFE CAI

PK
Thanks for the info...so I can just buy a spacer from the hardware store and did you cut the intake tubing when you installed it? Well if you ever put your URD in let me know I would like to know how it works with the intake. Also do you know if you get the scoop do you leave both holes open? To me it seems that the more access to air the better but I haven't found much about this. Thanks again for the info!
Old 08-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #46
Instagram: b00sted_b18c5
SYTFUxMBRProjects is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
SYTFUxMBRProjects's Tacoma Gallery
I love my Volant intake kit with the scoop. Don't really notice any drop (or increase) in MPG. I've been averaging 19MPG in mixed city/highway/traffic daily with AC on.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #47
BLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Veteran
Name: Keith
BLOODYMARY's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Airraid CAI and AFE TB Spacer. Zero CELs and great throttle response!