Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

REVIEW: AFE Magnum Force Intake VS. Volant Sealed Intake w/ RAM Scoop

Old 01-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Talking REVIEW: AFE Magnum Force Intake VS. Volant Sealed Intake w/ RAM Scoop

Hey guys, figured I would give a little review on a couple intakes I've had and currently have. Both intakes were on my 2005 Toyota 4x4 4.0 V6.

First: AFE Magnum Force Intake- (Past set up)

-This intake was a great intake. The installation was a breeze and everything aligned and bolted up easily, and as it should. The biggest thing I liked about the intake was that it was LOUD! And loud at all times, not just romping on it at 4K. I could hear it working as low as 1500 rpm. The one thing that I didn't like about it was that it was that it wasn't completely sealed. All the sides were enclosed besides the one that connects to the fender (where the stock intake location draws air). They just left 'that side of the box' off. That would be my only complaint about the intake. I saw a bit more throttle response over stock and didn't see any mpg gain. But, if you are looking for a fairly inexpensive intake for the NOISE, this is the intake to get. The only reason I got rid of it was because I thought I had a solid deal on a TRD intake and sold it beforehand. Then the deal fell through.. so I was left with stock.

Pic of intake that was on my truck:

Second: Volant CAI (w/ optional RAM SCOOP)

-I just received this intake recently. The installation was a little bit harder than the AFE, but not too bad. Took around 1hr. The intake took some maneuvering and sliding around until I could get the MAF sensor and all hoses lined up correctly. (One thing that I'm not a real fan of is that the MAF sensor doesn't seem to line up 100% correctly like OEM. Granted, everything works fine just not completely how I would like it too). The VOLANT is 100% sealed which I love. It also fits in the fender wall location perfect. No gaps or anything. As far as performance, my truck seems to have a lot more throttle response over stock, and the AFE for that matter. It gives the truck a nice rumble on start up/idle but is quieter than the AFE (still sounds great though) at all RPMs. I'm assuming this is due to the completely sealed design. I have the optional RAM Scoop on order and will report back when it gets installed!

Overall:

-I like both intakes. The AFE and Volant are the only two brands I have "tested" with and like both. I would like to find another AFE for my 2007 or maybe even try a K&N or TRD. Both intakes sound great and both have their pro's. I would recommend either one to anyone who is looking for an intake for the sound, looks, and throttle response gain. Besides that, I didn't see any real HP and MPG gains with either (and I'm okay with that)

Pic of Volant Intake (current set up)

Old 01-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
If you're looking for a TRD intake, buy an Injen. Injen makes the intakes for TRD and uses an Amoil dry filter.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs127s View Post
If you're looking for a TRD intake, buy an Injen. Injen makes the intakes for TRD and uses an Amoil dry filter.
I looked at Injen's website and their intake for the Tacoma looks nothing like the TRD intake

http://www.injenairintakes.com/
Old 01-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
I stand corrected. Injen used to make the intakes for TRD. TRD used to be a seperate entity from Toyota. A year or so after 4.0L came out, it was nearly impossible to get TRD parts, as Toyota bought TRD and was integrating them into their system. They changed part numbers and such. The early 4.0L CAIs had the same metal filter enclosure as the Injen, but had TRD stamped on it.

When I had ordered the TRD headers for my 3.4L I was lucky enough that the dealer I ordered them through was able to find a NOS set in a warehouse. I then put a CAI on my Taco, but I just ordered the Injen, as it was impossible to find a TRD badged intake at the time...that was during the transition.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I stand corrected. Injen used to make the intakes for TRD. TRD used to be a seperate entity from Toyota. A year or so after 4.0L came out, it was nearly impossible to get TRD parts, as Toyota bought TRD and was integrating them into their system. They changed part numbers and such. The early 4.0L CAIs had the same metal filter enclosure as the Injen, but had TRD stamped on it.

When I had ordered the TRD headers for my 3.4L I was lucky enough that the dealer I ordered them through was able to find a NOS set in a warehouse. I then put a CAI on my Taco, but I just ordered the Injen, as it was impossible to find a TRD badged intake at the time...that was during the transition.
Interesting....
Old 01-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Ordering the scoop for the volant now (hopefully) so should have another report soon
Old 02-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO View Post
any updates with the scoop?
Nope, not yet. Was waiting/working with a seller on here but they decided to keep it. So now, I'm looking online for new ones
Old 02-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
IGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: EMT-B
Name: Zach
IGO4LOW's Tacoma Gallery
I was actually debating on these exact two cais, based on what you said I might go with the volant set up. On the volant website both parts cai and scoop are $525.00. Is that the going rate? Or can I get it cheaper elswhere.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO4LOW View Post
I was actually debating on these exact two cais, based on what you said I might go with the volant set up. On the volant website both parts cai and scoop are $525.00. Is that the going rate? Or can I get it cheaper elswhere.
Auto Anyting has the Scoop for $152. and the intake is $275.00
Old 02-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
IGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: EMT-B
Name: Zach
IGO4LOW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
Auto Anyting has the Scoop for $152. and the intake is $275.00
Thanks!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #13
BIGchar33597 is on a distinguished road

Army: Infantry 11C / 2-14 10th MTN DIV
Name: char
BIGchar33597's Tacoma Gallery
can't wait for the updates on the scoop. started thinking about it myself been running Volant for about 4 years.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #14
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
AFE Stage II SI is EXACTLY the same as the gen1 TRD intake for the 1grfe, it just has AFE stamped on it instead of TRD. The TRD gen 1 is very difficult to find now and the gen 2 is garbage

AFE Stage II SI
REVIEW: AFE Magnum Force Intake VS. Volant Sealed Intake w/ RAM Scoop-54-81162_400.jpg
Gen 1 TRD CAI (for 1grfe)
REVIEW: AFE Magnum Force Intake VS. Volant Sealed Intake w/ RAM Scoop-tacoma-trd-cold-air-intake.jpg
Gen 2 TRD CAI (for 1grfe)
REVIEW: AFE Magnum Force Intake VS. Volant Sealed Intake w/ RAM Scoop-cai40.jpg
Old 08-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #15
gocky is on a distinguished road
gocky's Tacoma Gallery
URD

I put the URD on mine and it sounds bitchen, I passed my friend on the freeway and he called me later and asked what exhaust I had... That was before I even put my Banks on. People in front of you definitely know your passing them
Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
StuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Mark
StuckinOhio's Tacoma Gallery
I have been looking for some dyno results for the Volant but they don't seem to exist. The AFE claims up to 13hp. 21 lb/ft gain. Anyone know off hand and/or find a link for Volant?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #17
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Well guys, have a volant scooped intake on my hands, Ill see how it goes tomorrow
Old 08-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
aportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of light
EMS:
Name: Austin
aportis72's Tacoma Gallery
aFe makes the TRD intake just FYI. Its just stamped TRD instead of aFe
Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Well, been running the Volant w/ Ram scoop for a few days now. Sounds very good, there is a real "sucking" sounds front the front of the truck that you can actually here while driving. I love it and I have a tbs on the way (just for the sound) so I think i will really love it then. No CEls from anything but I need to do some experimenting with blocking the various openings to see what works best.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #20
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennan
Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
AFE Stage II SI is EXACTLY the same as the gen1 TRD intake for the 1grfe, it just has AFE stamped on it instead of TRD. The TRD gen 1 is very difficult to find now and the gen 2 is garbage
why do you say the gen 2 TRD CAI is garbage?