Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Question for Volant Ram Scoop Owners...

Old 01-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Question Question for Volant Ram Scoop Owners...

Hey guys, I am purchasing the Volant Ram Scoop for my intake tonight. I was just wondering if you have to close off the stock 'cold air location' in the fender wall if you ad the Ram Scoop to your intake? I don't know if having two open air ports would screw things up or not... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
It's not required to close the fender off no. I have wondered the same thing myself though. Seems that if the air is coming in from 2 locations, that it will flow to the point of least pressure, here's to hoping that it's the TB...

Others have run the Volant and the Airram without negetive affects though.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
It's not required to close the fender off no. I have wondered the same thing myself though. Seems that if the air is coming in from 2 locations, that it will flow to the point of least pressure, here's to hoping that it's the TB...

Others have run the Volant and the Airram without negetive affects though.

Hmm, I'll have to do some experimenting I guess..
Old 01-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
ttt
Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
amain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
amain's Tacoma Gallery
I guess it would only help to plug up the origional if you were driving on dusty roads a lot.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
if you are grabbing air from the front of the vehicle, when its moving the air caught in the ram scoop would create a pressure in the air box if the fender well opening was not there, compressing the air while the vehicle was in motion. I personally would close off the fender well hole.

My thinking at least.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
doesnt hurt or help. just more air.
i took mine off due to the rain getting into my air box. not alot but enough to bug me.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
if you are grabbing air from the front of the vehicle, when its moving the air caught in the ram scoop would create a pressure in the air box if the fender well opening was not there, compressing the air while the vehicle was in motion. I personally would close off the fender well hole.

My thinking at least.
Good stuff, I think I will plug it. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I dont know if you have to instruments or if someone you know has them, but doing some tests would be something I would be interested in to see the effects of an open system or closed.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
I dont know if you have to instruments or if someone you know has them, but doing some tests would be something I would be interested in to see the effects of an open system or closed.
Well I have a ultragauge on the way, so I will see what I can do/see with that I guess...
Old 01-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Almost there

If thats what your working with, I think one way to tell will be the mass air flow. The ultra gauge will show you a reading in grams/second. Check to see what the reading might be between just the ram and closed side, then with both ports open!

Look forward to seeing if there are any changes in flow.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
Sconnie
mudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
mudthedoor's Tacoma Gallery
I have an ultra gauge on the way as well and I want to get a volant inatke and scoop 2 so im eager to see what results you find!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
kendizzle is on a distinguished road

Marines: 0331
Name: wil
kendizzle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
Good stuff, I think I will plug it. Thanks.
let me know what the results are when you do this, i was looking into getting one too
Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
Almost there

Ya Jay, were there different reading between plugged and unplugged?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
Sconnie
mudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
mudthedoor's Tacoma Gallery
Bump
Old 05-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #17
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Very interested in this. Have an ultra gauge and am seriously contemplatin the ran air for my new volant (thanks mudthedoor!)