Notices

Filter Recommendation

Old 12-02-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
mattioss is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
mattioss's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mattioss
Filter Recommendation

What is the best drop in aftermarket filter?

I'm not looking to do the whole CAI thing, I am getting the exhaust done. But I really dont want a filter that has to be reoiled all the time. Any suggestions as to the best drop in replacement?

Matt
Old 12-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
AFE ProdryS. "Best" is subjective because unless you have dyno and lab figures anything else would be a guess. But that's what I, and many others, use.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...-showdown.html
Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
You need to quantify what "best" means. But I agree with WTD, if you don't want to oil the filter then the AFE ProDry S would be your best bet.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
mattioss is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
mattioss's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mattioss
thanks for the responses what i meant by best was a non oiled filter that just flows better than those paper ones
Old 12-11-2008, 01:50 AM   #5
dustinuhls is on a distinguished road

dustinuhls's Tacoma Gallery
What's so bad about oiling a filter? I use a K&N drop in filter and clean and re-oil it maybe once a year. It's really not that difficult of a job. I've used them in my last 2 Toyotas and have never had a problem.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:05 AM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinuhls View Post
What's so bad about oiling a filter? I use a K&N drop in filter and clean and re-oil it maybe once a year. It's really not that difficult of a job. I've used them in my last 2 Toyotas and have never had a problem.
If you do it right...Nothing wrong with it at all. Mis-oil it and you can make a mss of the upper intake and MAF sensor among other things.

It's all about personal choice.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Too much oil and you mess up the MAF sensor, not enough oil and it doesn't filter properly. I'd either stay with an OEM filter or go with an aftermarket dry filter like the AFE ProDry S.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Too much oil and you mess up the MAF sensor, not enough oil and it doesn't filter properly. I'd either stay with an OEM filter or go with an aftermarket dry filter like the AFE ProDry S.
Now you got me worried that I might be over or under oiling my filter. I know I over oiled it once b/c it dripped down all over the inside of the air box. It never threw a CEL so I just cleaned my MAF sensor the next time I cleaned the filter. It was dirty, but I think just from regular wear, not excess oil.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
bite me

Regular wear usually doesn't make the MAF dirty, that's what the air filter is for, to keep out the crap.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Regular wear usually doesn't make the MAF dirty, that's what the air filter is for, to keep out the crap.
I figure after 65Km it could have a little build up on it from normal use. It was nothing severe and never really affected the performance. I think it's something that should just be tended to for regular maintenance.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
Banned
allupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
allupinsydeyou's Tacoma Gallery
there are companys out there that do make awesome dry filters. and if you do go the k&n route... read the directions on oiling... its actually quite hard to overoil.. unless you just dont pay attention.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by allupinsydeyou View Post
there are companys out there that do make awesome dry filters. and if you do go the k&n route... read the directions on oiling... its actually quite hard to overoil.. unless you just dont pay attention.
Thank you. Like I said earlier, it's not that difficult to use the reoilable (is that a word?) filter. If I did over oil that filter one time, it didn't affect my MAF sensor or anything else in the motor. I've never used one of the other performance dry filters; only the K&N aftermarket ones, but I've never experienced any problem w/ mine.