1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Filter Recommendation

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by mattioss, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Dec 2, 2008 at 8:02 AM
    mattioss

mattioss [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Milford, De
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner DB TRD Sport
    None
    What is the best drop in aftermarket filter?

I'm not looking to do the whole CAI thing, I am getting the exhaust done. But I really dont want a filter that has to be reoiled all the time. Any suggestions as to the best drop in replacement?

Matt

2. Dec 2, 2008 at 8:18 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
  3. Dec 2, 2008 at 8:46 AM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    You need to quantify what "best" means. But I agree with WTD, if you don't want to oil the filter then the AFE ProDry S would be your best bet.

4. Dec 2, 2008 at 10:21 AM
    mattioss

mattioss [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Milford, De
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner DB TRD Sport
    None
    thanks for the responses what i meant by best was a non oiled filter that just flows better than those paper ones

5. Dec 11, 2008 at 1:50 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    What's so bad about oiling a filter? I use a K&N drop in filter and clean and re-oil it maybe once a year. It's really not that difficult of a job. I've used them in my last 2 Toyotas and have never had a problem.

6. Dec 11, 2008 at 5:05 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If you do it right...Nothing wrong with it at all. Mis-oil it and you can make a mss of the upper intake and MAF sensor among other things.

It's all about personal choice.

7. Dec 11, 2008 at 9:10 AM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Too much oil and you mess up the MAF sensor, not enough oil and it doesn't filter properly. I'd either stay with an OEM filter or go with an aftermarket dry filter like the AFE ProDry S.

8. Dec 12, 2008 at 5:58 PM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Now you got me worried that I might be over or under oiling my filter. I know I over oiled it once b/c it dripped down all over the inside of the air box. It never threw a CEL so I just cleaned my MAF sensor the next time I cleaned the filter. It was dirty, but I think just from regular wear, not excess oil.

9. Dec 12, 2008 at 6:01 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Regular wear usually doesn't make the MAF dirty, that's what the air filter is for, to keep out the crap.

10. Dec 12, 2008 at 7:01 PM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    I figure after 65Km it could have a little build up on it from normal use. It was nothing severe and never really affected the performance. I think it's something that should just be tended to for regular maintenance.

11. Dec 12, 2008 at 7:11 PM
    allupinsydeyou

allupinsydeyou Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal / vegas
    Vehicle:
    v8 swapped yota. dyno tuned @ 400hp
    modified total chaos uppers and lowers... king coilovers, deaver leafs, full cage, 351w motor swap, etc..
    there are companys out there that do make awesome dry filters. and if you do go the k&n route... read the directions on oiling... its actually quite hard to overoil.. unless you just dont pay attention.

12. Dec 12, 2008 at 8:17 PM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Thank you. Like I said earlier, it's not that difficult to use the reoilable (is that a word?) filter. If I did over oil that filter one time, it didn't affect my MAF sensor or anything else in the motor. I've never used one of the other performance dry filters; only the K&N aftermarket ones, but I've never experienced any problem w/ mine.

13. Dec 16, 2008 at 1:11 PM
    Bearskill

Bearskill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    Dang! I had not heard of the AFE ProDry S. I just bought a K&N day before yesterday. Seems a little better. But after looking at the AFE I wish I would have gotten that one. I can't decide if I want to take out the secondary filter or not eather.

14. Dec 17, 2008 at 1:53 PM
    TacoTycoon

TacoTycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4WD Indigo Ink
    Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, Diff Drop Kit, TSB AAL, 285/70/17 BFG A/T Tires, 17X8 Helo HE835 Wheels, Rear Bilstein 5100s, Dual Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, TRD Front Seat Covers, Rear Suspension TSB, 35% Tint, Redline Hood Struts, MagLite Mod
    afe pro dry, or trueflow drop in...

Products Discussed in

To Top