1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Secondary Air Filter Removal

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 007Tacoma, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Oct 22, 2008 at 6:41 PM
    lawnrevenge

lawnrevenge Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 regular cab 5-lug, automatic
    I've continued to see a slight mpg improvement. Trust me, I've put 30k miles on mine since I pulled the filter, no problems nothing, just better mpg. The big differences IMHO will be at higher engine speeds or longer steady driving (freeway or long trips)

2. Oct 22, 2008 at 6:44 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    still debating this mod, just can't figure out the huge discrepency in results. If the trucks are all similar then is it the terrain and the way we all drive that makes the results vary?:confused:

3. Oct 22, 2008 at 7:12 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Gaget ran a dyno and saw no improvement.
    Im not going to throw my truck on the roller for just this mod, though. :)

4. Oct 22, 2008 at 7:14 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yeah, i didnt notice much on my v6, besides idling and sounding a little better.

5. Oct 22, 2008 at 10:44 PM
    lawnrevenge

lawnrevenge Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 regular cab 5-lug, automatic
    Not doubting that, but do you have a link to the data? The only benefit I'd see would be at high engine speed and that might not even be much...

6. Oct 23, 2008 at 6:19 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Actually you will get more of a difference from removing the secondary air filter at LOW rpm's and partial throttle conditions.

My rationalization on this is it takes a certain amount of energy to draw air thru the filter. To move the truck takes energy to overcome enertia, wind resistance, rolling resistance, drivetrain loss etc. The amount of energy it takes to draw air through the SAF is a larger percentage of the engines available power at low speeds and low RPM than it is at high speeds and high power output.

I'm also convinced more people notice the difference with the I4 engine than the V6 because the big difference in available power at all RPMs means the SAF uses a much smaller percentage of total engine output.

7. Oct 23, 2008 at 1:32 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    yeah i didnt mean to beat a dead horse, guys, but thanks. im gonna be getting it within the next week here. its on its way. and i was just wondering, thats all.

8. Oct 23, 2008 at 7:08 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Most air intake gains are in the top end of the rev range. The most restriction on the engine is pumping loss at low rpm. This is due to the throttle butterfly being mostly closed, and the pistons have to draw air thru a mostly closed opening. Try sucking thru a straw. Then, pinch the straw shut, and try sucking. The restriction in the Tacoma intake system is mostly the size of the throttle body. And the air intake track makeing a few turns. You can throw an air filter the size of a trash can, and the throttle body is still only going to take in the same amount of air. Look at the sq. in. of the filter as opposed to the sq. in. of the throttle body. The secondary filter isnt even felt by the engine.

9. Oct 24, 2008 at 3:27 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Ths debate would be best continued over a beer. :D

10. Oct 24, 2008 at 11:17 AM
    AK Backcountry

AK Backcountry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop, Scangauge II, iPod Adaptor, Redline Hood Struts, Removed Secondary Air Filter, De-badged, AFE Drop In, Westin Oval Steps Future: Locker Anytime

Now we are talking. (Narragansett?) :D Have not had one since college. More money = Better Beer

I took the secondary air filter out about 4 months ago and also did the AFE drop-in at the same time. I have been recording the mileage at every fillup and have a scangauge II. I can't say that I have seen a real increase in gas mileage since then. I do think the truck has more acceleration since the filter was removed so maybe my foot has been in it more. At some point I'll try to get around to posting my observations.

However, I don't see how the air filter removal would change your RPM's. :confused:

11. Oct 24, 2008 at 11:23 AM
    AK Backcountry

AK Backcountry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop, Scangauge II, iPod Adaptor, Redline Hood Struts, Removed Secondary Air Filter, De-badged, AFE Drop In, Westin Oval Steps Future: Locker Anytime

I meant to include the above comment. I do think you are correct in what you say about the I4 verses the V6 and the percentage of available power.

12. Oct 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    well guys, got the filter today. i did remove the secondary filter on my 4 banger. i just drilled out the rivets. The truck sounds way better around 2500-3000 rpms. the truck idles at 800 rpms now when in neutral. and i made it 20 miles with the gas marker on the line before the E. its Great. i love it.

PS. Once again, Will, in his infinite wisdom :D, was correct about the CEL light NOT coming on

13. Nov 2, 2008 at 3:55 PM
    Rockstar2448

Rockstar2448 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 Indigo Ink TRD Sport D-Cab LB 4x4 // 2020 Super White TRD Sport D-Cab LB 4x4
    2005: Toytec 3" Lift, Helo Maxx6 Chrome 17x8, Nitto Terra Grappler 265/70/17, Polished Billet Grill-Full Front Kit, Westin Polished SS Tube Steps, Leer 700 Tonneau, Fog Lights On Anytime, Debadged, USA Spec iPod Adapter, Britax car seat with special UNC color scheme, Window Tint, SilverStar bulbs 2020: TRD Skid Plate with front spoiler delete, emblems partial removal/blackout, Toyota folding hard tonneau
    I did the secondary filter removal today on my V6 QuadCab. Will I see a difference? Probably not but figured it doesn't cost me anything so why not give it a shot. I'll be dropping a AFE dry filter sometime soon too.

One thing I would say from most of the posts I have read, some of you guys are making the removal way too hard, especially on the V6. All I did was open the filter box like I was going to change the primary filter. From there all you need to do is take a small, thin and sharp putty knife to slice the heads off of the secondary filter and pull it out. No removing the engine cover or unpluging sensors and hoses. It took 10 minutes start to finish.

14. Nov 3, 2008 at 2:37 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    oh cool. glad you found an easier way to do the mod. but yeah you probly will see a slight improvement in throttle response, but not like you would in a 4 cyl

15. Nov 6, 2008 at 9:00 AM
    spearhead

spearhead Taco Supremist

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    09 4DR Mag Grey 4WD Sport
    TRD CAI Eibach Springs 5100s all around Front set to .85 Toytec AAL
    Can someone please confirm for a dense noob....

Installing the TRD CAI will also remove this charcoal/secondary filter -Yes/No

Thanks fellas

16. Nov 6, 2008 at 10:59 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma [OP] I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Yes. This will remove the entire assembly that normally houses the secondary filter. The same is true with any aftermarket CAI.

17. Nov 15, 2008 at 5:52 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    i just did it. didn't use a drill.. just a worklight (it was dark) and a flathead screwdriver. Just stuck it in and ripped it out, snapped it back together... did it at a commercial break! I BET it will do nothing for a v6. BUT i put it against my mouth and blew really hard (ew) and i didnt feel much air coming through it. I'm sure it'll make it just easier to breathe. Why not do it? Its FREE!

18. Nov 16, 2008 at 11:33 AM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    did you just put the stock air filter back in?? if so, you might want to consider buying an AFE pro dry S filter for your rig. just a thought. :)

19. Nov 16, 2008 at 11:35 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    what would that do?

20. Nov 16, 2008 at 11:37 AM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    it is a high performance filter that does not require oiling. so it wont screw up your Mass airflow sensor. it drastically improves rpm idel and mpg. at least it did for me. but guys still are having success with the 6 cyl and the AFE pro dry S.

Products Discussed in

To Top