Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

DIY: Secondary Air Filter Removal

Old 03-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #381
flyfishinMT is on a distinguished road
Army: 7yrs honorable, active service, Iraq Veteran
flyfishinMT's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed all of the gains that people talk about getting rid of just the factory air filter and going to a K&N. MPG's went from high 17's / low 18's to high 20's / low 21's. The idle is tad slower, the throttle response just a tad quicker. nothing major, just enough to go...hey, thats different. since my truck doesnt even have 3K on it yet...that secondary filter will stay (till warranty is up). If I pull it later and get more MPG's...total bonus. Get rid of just the factory air filter and you'll see gains.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #382
carattini is on a distinguished road
Name: David
carattini's Tacoma Gallery
I just finish reading the 20 pages os this Thread.

First this is a 5 lug thread so people with 6 Lug shuldn't be wondering heare.
Second al of the people claiming that this don't work have:
A. 6Cil
B. 4X4
C. Prerunner
D. TRD Package

I belive this works as soon as I get my truck I'll do it and get some numbers.

Third I belive that you can have better performance and responce and not have more horse power.

Will be posting soon...
Old 05-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #383
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
still on the fence about if i should do this or not...
Old 05-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #384
giggity giggity
durf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

durf4694's Tacoma Gallery
for as many people that have done it im pretty sure its not going to blow up your motor or something of that nature. as long as you dont have to worry about emissions in your state you should be fine . just keep a clean airfilter for peace of mind. ive had mine for for almost a year now
Old 05-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #385
pjr66255 is on a distinguished road
Name: Patrick
pjr66255's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf4694 View Post
for as many people that have done it im pretty sure its not going to blow up your motor or something of that nature. as long as you dont have to worry about emissions in your state you should be fine . just keep a clean airfilter for peace of mind. ive had mine for for almost a year now
I agree. I read the tutorial mod, and went out and did it immediately. My engine compartment was very recently cleaned, and I covered the intake hose with foil, just to be extra cautious. Besides you are only going to have the box cover off for like 5 minutes. The original poster was right about drilling too far when punching out the rivets, you can easily drill through the other side of the box. Don't let that happen! As for performance increase; the throttle feels a little stronger and more responsive, especially at higher RPM's. I've done this mod too recently to give my input on improved fuel economy.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #386
Because I can
JoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Joe
JoeRags27's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys real quick just got my truck two weeks ago and going to do this mod I just ordered my Pro dry S filter from AFE, but can I remove the secondary filter ahead of time or just wait for the dry filter to get here I dont know if taking it off now will have adverse effects on my MAF sensor? Let me know thanks guys!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #387
mea4dxl is on a distinguished road
mea4dxl's Tacoma Gallery
I did it and I got 420 miles to my tank on my 07 reg 2wd i4 . the most Iv got was 400 befor the mod...im very happy with it.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #388
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
almost sure ill be doing this this weekend..... i'm a little sketchy on it but if no one had had any adverse effects yet..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRags27 View Post
Hey guys real quick just got my truck two weeks ago and going to do this mod I just ordered my Pro dry S filter from AFE, but can I remove the secondary filter ahead of time or just wait for the dry filter to get here I dont know if taking it off now will have adverse effects on my MAF sensor? Let me know thanks guys!

about to order a pro dry also, website keeps saying they dont have that part for a 2011, that shouldnt make any difference should it?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #389
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
FYI, this done nothing for the V6.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #390
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
FYI, this done nothing for the V6.
hmm, around page four or something some v6 guys reported gains.. perhaps ill just drop the AFE in and call it a day until i get more evidence. heck if its only givin me a half a mpg why not, is there really a down side
Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #391
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
hmm, around page four or something some v6 guys reported gains.. perhaps ill just drop the AFE in and call it a day until i get more evidence. heck if its only givin me a half a mpg why not, is there really a down side
I have always read that the 4 banger guys feel a bit better throttle response but nothing for the V6.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #392

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I have always read that the 4 banger guys feel a bit better throttle response but nothing for the V6.
well thanks for lookin out either way, ill tumble it around for a while, maybe just wait till my air filter is in then decide.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #393
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
well thanks for lookin out either way, ill tumble it around for a while, maybe just wait till my air filter is in then decide.
I wish I never removed mine. Like he said. It makes no difference in performance.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #394
State of Mind
808Raider is on a distinguished road

808Raider's Tacoma Gallery
took out the secondary air filter and dropped in the afe pro dry s filter on my truck a couple of months ago. this has done absolutely nothing for my gas mileage or trucks performance. waste of time for a 6 lug
Old 06-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I wish I never removed mine. Like he said. It makes no difference in performance.
your rep preceeds you, advice taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Raider View Post
took out the secondary air filter and dropped in the afe pro dry s filter on my truck a couple of months ago. this has done absolutely nothing for my gas mileage or trucks performance. waste of time for a 6 lug
the pro dry did nothing? ive heard good things...
Old 06-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #396
drtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dru
drtydru's Tacoma Gallery
Just did this to my 08 regular cab 4x4 2.7 manual. Noticeably more "pep" in my truck. Took 7 minutes.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #397
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Retired
Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
I'm new here, and I am new to Toyota. I picked up a 2006 base model Tacoma as an extra vehicle. I put in a new air filter and found the charcoal filter in the lid of the box. I found this site while trying to find out about that filter. I have since removed it. I read this entire thread, and I have one observation. I don't see where anyone has compared the condition of the charcoal filters that they have removed. I see where some people report that they can see through it. Well, I could only see through about 25% of mine. I don't know what happened to clog it up like that, but it was.

After removal, I noticed a much smoother idle and a little better throttle response. My truck runs much better without it, but that could just be because mine was clogged up.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #398
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR54x4 View Post
still on the fence about if i should do this or not...
I did it at 50,000 miles on my 05. I traded my 05 in April this year with 173,000 miles on it. No ill affects from removing it. Not sure if I had any gains either. I may wait a while before doing it on my 2011.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #399
I got tiger blood.. WINNING
LBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
I am gonna do this tomorrow. Worst thing that can happen is I need a new airbox. I spoke with my uncle who is a mechanic in CA and he never checks for the air filter when doing smog checks and he said it shouldn't cause your car to fail a smog test.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #400
M4gery is on a distinguished road

Army:
M4gery's Tacoma Gallery
just removed the 2nd filter on my 07 2.7L and easily noticed better acceleration, smother idle and little better sound. have yet to test mpg's but hopefully have increased as well. gonna drop a afe pro dry in and see if that further helps.