1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Secondary Air Filter Removal

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 007Tacoma, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Jun 27, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert

You would think this would put an end to this zero effect mod, but yet it continues?

Over at toyotanation lots of v6 owners raved about the increase throttle response, lower rpm?, and badass growl, at least on this thread anyway a few understand it doesn't do any for the V6, but it doesn't do anything for the 2.7l either.

I sympathize with you Chris4x4, often reason and facts fail.

Electrathon likes this.
  2. Jun 27, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    Graham

Graham Pay it Forward

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Black V6 6 speed manual

Excellent data set!

I see a detrimental effect at the low end of torque according to chart. It appears to show "with filter" to have a higher rate of torque or rpm (upper data set) at the engine ramp up. This is my experience after removing the filter. It keeps up and goes, don't get me wrong. However, it exhibits a definite lag at the top end of my gear shift in manual. It feels like almost the engine is gasping, starved for something. Fuel? Air? When I buy a newer taco I wont remove the filter for sure.

3. Jun 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    Sleeper362

Sleeper362 One Convenient Locations ......In Africa

Member:
    First Name:
    Corporal
    K-Vegas NC
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4X4 DC Shortbed
    Ah but your wrong. If the very bottom lines are A/F ratio, there was a change. If they are throttle position, the person let off on the gas earlier. If those lines represent speed it would say MPH on the side. One dyno sheet does not prove anything. For all we know those runs could have been done with no changes made back to back.

Here is a dyno sheet from my Mazdaspeed3 when it was bone stock. These runs were done one right after the other. Looks exactly the same as the sheet above. Fact of the matter is you remove an obstruction from the inlet, something is going to change. May not be measurable but its going to change.
    Scan0002_920d253591c20be4ced1b4fbf303e4dbafac6440.jpg

4. Jun 28, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    An unmeasureable change isn't worth much. No 2 snow flakes are the same either. Too bad the much tauted improved throttle response has no measurable artifact.

If there is no measurable difference at WOT there will be none when the throttle plate overrides the filter obstruction at part throttle.

5. Jun 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Seems lots of people here respect Gadget enough to concede that taking the carbon filter out of the 4.0 does nothing. The 2.7L is not immune to this reality.

6. Jun 30, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    Sleeper362

Member:
    First Name:
    Corporal
    K-Vegas NC
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4X4 DC Shortbed
    Good for him, not trying to be funny but I probably have as much experience tuning cars as he does, I am being dead serious. Been modifying cars for power since 1995, working at Turbo Tune until Mark died in 08, still do work on the side. I have lost track of how many turbo manifolds I have welded together from scratch. One thing I have learned that you haven't yet is the dyno is not the only measure of performance, gas mileage also works if the mods weren't accompanied by changes in fuel pressure. His test can also have been messed up by rising humidity and temps while he was removing stuff through the day. There are many things that can change results, thus why I tend to not take dyno results seriously. Trap speeds on a drag strip are a better measure of possible street gains.

Either way, what does it hurt to remove the secondary filter? It causes no changes in driveability, it costs nothing, and measurable on a dyno and measurable on the street can sometimes be mutually exclusive.

7. Jul 1, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    cornnuts

cornnuts Hardshell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    On An Island
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    Maxtrac Lift Spindles, Pro Comp 17 in, 315/70/17 Kumho M/T, 4.56 gearing, solid pinion spacer, Power Trax No-slip)
  8. Jul 1, 2011 at 9:59 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Didn't say it would hurt but I haven't seen any evidence it helps.

Even drag trap speeds will be effected by temp and humidity, can't trust those, but i'm really only commenting on mpg with the secondary filter.

Here is a study that did not find any reduction in fuel consumption after restricting the filter way beyond any restriction that this carbon filter is causing. They did 3 different types of drive cycle tests on a dyno eliminating variables.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/Air_Filter_Effects_02_26_2009.pdf

Are you really saying the butt dyno is more accurate?

9. Jul 1, 2011 at 10:35 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    A sigle dyno run on any mod is not accurate. I do a min. of 3 runs per change. 3 before, and 3 after. I try to do them within a couple hours, and the shop I did the runs at was indoors (with the large bay door open facing the north). The average of the 3 runs would dictate any performance gains, loss, or nothing. I have also monitored fuel trims, Mass air flow (Gm's/sec.), as well as exhaust temps. Betweens those things, I belive I have tested as close to accurate as possible, without having access to a full blown lab. As far as the charcoal filter is concerned, I saw no gains, or changes accross the board. I had a friend of mine bench test the amount of air flow the charcoal filter can handle, and its well above anything the 4.0 V6 could move. So...If it has no impact on engine performance with it removed, why remove it? The amount of weight savings is less than 1/3 pound......so you could possibly gain more by skipping a lunch.

10. Jul 5, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    Sleeper362

Member:
    First Name:
    Corporal
    K-Vegas NC
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4X4 DC Shortbed
    Can't argue with that. Especially the portion about the airflow limits of the charcoal filter. It is one thing to post up a dyno sheet and say here is proof. It is another thing to have the person come in and explain the conditions and methods of the dyno. Thank you for taking the time to clear that up.

MSN88longbed likes this.
  11. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    groovy

groovy “Half a truth is often a great lie.” -B. Franklin

Member:
    First Name:
    the archisuck
    The urine soaked s... hole Taxachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2006 trd 4x4
    Skid plate. Roof rack. F**ked up grille.
    After plugs and afe cai (pro dry si what ever the f it is) I went from 16.8 to 18.5 mpgs(big tires) I suspect that it had more to do with the (old) plugs. Throttle response is tighter and truck is louder under load. especially with the little rubber gasket taken out. I leave it in.

Overall happy with afe cai but kept all stock stuff in garage in case I need to revert.

FYI. Old plugs ranged from .040 to .065 and have been using mobil 1 for last 5 oil changes.

12. Jul 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    99TacoDriver

99TacoDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    OME 885x/5100s/LR UCA/3 leaf AAL/275/70/17 Terra Trac X-Venture
    i have a 99 tacoma and i was wonderin if i could do this mod to mine. anyone know if it will help or just hurt?

13. Jul 8, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!. Your truck doesnt have a charcoal filter. You can do the Deck Plate mod.

14. Jul 8, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    99TacoDriver

99TacoDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    OME 885x/5100s/LR UCA/3 leaf AAL/275/70/17 Terra Trac X-Venture
    ok thanks and whats the deck plate mod?

15. Jul 8, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    fuldya

fuldya New Member

Member:
    chicago
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma baja
    So the carbon filter toyotas engineers has put on your air cleaner box has a purpose. It's been put there to prevent HC's from escaping into the atmosphere. Ok if your not sure what HC's are it's partially burnt fuel. Now in theroy I would think if your worried about gas milage you would want this, this way your optimizing all your fuel. As for removing it so you take in more air for performance once again it's killing your mpg, more air means more fuel. I really can't see a paper thin filter being removed actually increasing horsepower. I mean the regular air filter most likely causes more restrictions than the carbon. I mean if you want a noticeable horse power increase buy a cold air intake and up grade your exhaust cuz remember what goes in, in large amounts has to go out in large amounts. Just remember if you take something you have to give up something and that is fuel economy.

16. Jul 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    SR54x4

SR54x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 TRD SR5 Tundra
    Magnaflow 12588, TSC lo-pro extra deep toolbox, step bars and bull bar
    just pulled mine out. drove it a mile or two, i guess i see a little difference in throttle response. well see with time what happens with the mpgs.

17. Jul 30, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    93civEJ1

93civEJ1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR
    Procomp 6" Stage 1, Bilstein 5100's in front, flowmaster 40 series
    I took mine out a second ago...if I dont really need it, I didnt care to break the prong things...its gonna sit in there without em if there is a second filter as well.

18. Aug 12, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    WildWolfy

WildWolfy Assitant Trainer/ Supervisor

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Just South of Dallas
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 SR5
    Just Startin Stock TRD with Locking Rear and SR5 package
    @SR5, The thing is, the harder it is to breath the more energy is consumed, so a cold air intake, with high flow exhaust = more performance with less efforts. problem is, us humans like to step up the aggression with the throaty exhaust, and accell harder just to hear the roar of our new toy. if you keep the same driving habits with the new mods, you will have better mpg. just my 2 cents

19. Aug 12, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Not true.

Under anything but near full throttle your throttle plate intentionally makes it harder to breath so your engine doesn't hit to the rev limiter. The CPU doesn't care about the slight restriction of the air filter and carbon filter when the throttle plate has it way more restricted than either.

20. Sep 3, 2011 at 9:26 PM
    Techoma

Techoma This is the Wild, Wild, West!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alta Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Extreme Expo 05 PreRunner
    Dirty fives on Level 8s, 4.88 gears and Harrod Locker on rear. Cab Chop x2, MBRP Cat Back Dual Exhaust w Flowmaster 44 for punch, cut off at rear axle, Throttle Body spacer, Camburg UCA and Coil-Overs, Matrix Spindle lift up front ProComp extended travel on rear w\ Dakar leafs +, Panasonic HU w Front x2 and rear x1 camera, kicker 500 powering 2 JL Audio 10" subs, JL component speakers in front doors and JL audio coaxials in rear doors powered by alpine 600 amp. Cobra all in one CB, Easy Lift hood, and Easy Down Tailgate, Pop N Lock, Dual RGB Halo Projectors, Blacked out tails with HI intensity LED's, Scanguage II, AVID Custom sliders and Hybrid rear bumper, Pelfreybilt Hybrid front, Glock Steering Column Holster, 2 Hella's behind Satoshi on Avid light Bar, Decepticon Badges, 2x 24" LED ropes and 2X 4" HI LEDs to fire up Satoshi w Super Bright green Halo's. Under Hood lighting as well as RGB rock lights. PrinSu Cab/Shell Rack with FreeSpirit hard shell RTT, 28", 2x 20", and 50" LED Bars all controlled by SwitchPros and Weathertechs front and rear.
    I took mine out last week.... Have an Air Raid filter in as well and use a Scan Guage. I hear the diff in my Gibson exhaust and driving my normal lead foot... jumped +2.1MPG (from an even 17MPG). ALL city driving.

PS I didn't know this mod was here... I just broke mine out with a flathead!

Products Discussed in

To Top