Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

DIY: Secondary Air Filter Removal

Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #561
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoLoco2001 View Post
mine is an 01 4cylinder2.4 will this work for mine??
I don't think you have one, but it doesn't work for 2nd generation either.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #562
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
I don't think you have one, but it doesn't work for 2nd generation either.
LOL!

My '03 Tundra 4.7 had one.
Didn't do anything for it either... dunno why I did my 2.7. All I need is some anal-retentive smog tech and it'll cost me $300.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #563
jimbowie is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
jimbowie's Tacoma Gallery
Have any one use these chips in your Tocoma

http://www.gfchips.com/toyotatacoma.aspx
Old 03-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #564
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbowie View Post
Have any one use these chips in your Tocoma

http://www.gfchips.com/toyotatacoma.aspx
That's even more worthless than putting a K&N sticker on your fender.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #565
RELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
About the MAF Screen... It corrects the flow of air into the MAf..? My GF has a 04 Subaru Forrester XT 2.5 It has a Denso MAF that has no screen and the engine has a turbo..
The subie maf part number is 197-6040
2010 Tacoma maf part number is 197-6030

Any ideas or info on this?
I'm wondering if it would work to take the screen off.
Part numbers are not the same but the shape of the MAf is the same.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #566
piglett is on a distinguished road
piglett's Tacoma Gallery
lots of pages on this subject....wow
ok so it does work on the 2.7L, cool
does little or nothing on a 4.0L, well ok
any info on the 3.4L?
mine is a TRD do i have the same airbox as the later TRD's?

thanks for your input
Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #567
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglett View Post
lots of pages on this subject....wow
ok so it does work on the 2.7L, cool
does little or nothing on a 4.0L, well ok
any info on the 3.4L?
mine is a TRD do i have the same airbox as the later TRD's?

thanks for your input
No it really doesn't work for the 2.7L.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #568
beastplumber is on a distinguished road
Army: Miliyary Police Platoon SGT.
Name: Gary
beastplumber's Tacoma Gallery
DO you know if removing the secondary filter voids the manufactueres warranty???
Old 03-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastplumber View Post
DO you know if removing the secondary filter voids the manufactueres warranty???
No it doesn't, but it is rather pointless, and in many states you could fail emissions.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #570
piglett's Tacoma Gallery
ok my 01 tacoma doesn't have one
also no sign that there was ever one there
Old 03-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #571

Quote:
ok my 01 tacoma doesn't have one
also no sign that there was ever one there
My '03 Tundra had one.
Wife's '04 Rav4 doesn't.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #572
joedelli is on a distinguished road
joedelli's Tacoma Gallery
My truck does have one. I removed it for inspection and found it to be distorted, "charcoal" element had settled and the vacuum from the engine was trying to suck the screen/gauze into the engine. I will get a replacement filter. However, with the charcoal filter gone, a KN installed and tonneau, I get consistently 20 mpg all around and better throttle response. BTW the KN does work (the paper filer is too restrictive. The tonneau makes sense as well (before, its like dragging an anchor, and it worked on my Dakota). I probably can't ask more from this truck as is. Its a daily driver 52 R/T and my fun off roader.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #573

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedelli View Post
the paper filer is too restrictive.
You have absolutely no flowbench data to back that up.

I'm getting 24mpg on the OEM filter.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
You have absolutely no flowbench data to back that up.

I'm getting 24mpg on the OEM filter.
I continue to get great mpg with a OEM with 40K on it. I'll change it at 60K.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
I continue to get great mpg with a OEM with 40K on it. I'll change it at 60K.
Bingo.

The K&N does flow "better" than stock, but to say that the stock filter is "too restrictive" is submitting to K&N marketing hype.
And even Amsoil admits that their washable filters (AFE) do not filter as well as OEM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #576
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Bingo.

The K&N does flow "better" than stock, but to say that the stock filter is "too restrictive" is submitting to K&N marketing hype.
And even Amsoil admits that their washable filters (AFE) do not filter as well as OEM.
Ok. Thanks to Rich & Worthywads I'm NOT doing this mod, slightly interested before - slightly, but now after hearing some logical info on the subject - I think not.

Thanks guys - Rich, Love your Truck - very tasteful, classy, and economical.

Question though: Can you point me to the info about AFE saying their filters aren't as good as OEM? Just curious cause I just bought an AFE based on all the damn hype on these forums. I've been running OEM air filter now for 30k miles.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #577

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyTacomaDust View Post
Question though: Can you point me to the info about AFE saying their filters aren't as good as OEM? Just curious cause I just bought an AFE based on all the damn hype on these forums. I've been running OEM air filter now for 30k miles.
Interesting... Amsoil (AFE) seems to have modified their marketing and is now claiming significantly better filtration than cellulose.

But here's some real-world test results of several filters:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

Also interesting, related to the "how much is 'good enough' question:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest2.htm
"Best" was the K&N at 0.231psi
"Worst" was Napa paper at 0.249psi.

Having a hard time finding the charts that used to be posted.
I found one that showed the Amsoil to be equal to quality cellulose, but it appears to be referring to the 2-stage foam filter.

Anyways, a couple of years ago, Amsoil's marketing materials included a very good chart comparing 5 or 6 filters, including K&N, AC Delco, foam, and a couple of other "paper" filters.
The graphs showed the "paper" (cellulose) being the most restrictive, but the best filtration. The Amsoil (AFE) came in below paper on filtration, but significantly higher than K&N... but with marginally better flow than K&N.

Could be that those charts were removed because Delco wasn't happy about it? I don't know.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #578
piglett's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Interesting... Amsoil (AFE) seems to have modified their marketing and is now claiming significantly better filtration than cellulose.

But here's some real-world test results of several filters:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

Also interesting, related to the "how much is 'good enough' question:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest2.htm
"Best" was the K&N at 0.231psi
"Worst" was Napa paper at 0.249psi.

Having a hard time finding the charts that used to be posted.
I found one that showed the Amsoil to be equal to quality cellulose, but it appears to be referring to the 2-stage foam filter.

Anyways, a couple of years ago, Amsoil's marketing materials included a very good chart comparing 5 or 6 filters, including K&N, AC Delco, foam, and a couple of other "paper" filters.
The graphs showed the "paper" (cellulose) being the most restrictive, but the best filtration. The Amsoil (AFE) came in below paper on filtration, but significantly higher than K&N... but with marginally better flow than K&N.

Could be that those charts were removed because Delco wasn't happy about it? I don't know.
there is a difference between how well something flows & how well it filters. removing the filter all together will give the best flow but no filtering. so which one are we after???
Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #579
RELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
So.. What's better for fuel mileage? More or less flow? This whole filter thing gives me
a headache. I want good fuel mileage but don't want to be confined to paved roads.
I really don't like k and n, filters. They are a pain in the ass to clean and oil.
I like foam filters, they have been used for years on the track, only problem is I can't find one that fits as a drop in filter. There is one made by Blue Monkey I believe.. Not positive..
Im not sure I'll upgrade to a cold air intake, to many problems with not enough choices of piggy back tuners.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #580

Quote:
there is a difference between how well something flows & how well it filters. removing the filter all together will give the best flow but no filtering. so which one are we after???
Given the minimal difference in flow....