Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

DIY: Secondary Air Filter Removal

Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #581
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Interesting... Amsoil (AFE) seems to have modified their marketing and is now claiming significantly better filtration than cellulose.

But here's some real-world test results of several filters:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

Also interesting, related to the "how much is 'good enough' question:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest2.htm
"Best" was the K&N at 0.231psi
"Worst" was Napa paper at 0.249psi.

Having a hard time finding the charts that used to be posted.
I found one that showed the Amsoil to be equal to quality cellulose, but it appears to be referring to the 2-stage foam filter.

Anyways, a couple of years ago, Amsoil's marketing materials included a very good chart comparing 5 or 6 filters, including K&N, AC Delco, foam, and a couple of other "paper" filters.
The graphs showed the "paper" (cellulose) being the most restrictive, but the best filtration. The Amsoil (AFE) came in below paper on filtration, but significantly higher than K&N... but with marginally better flow than K&N.

Could be that those charts were removed because Delco wasn't happy about it? I don't know.
Well after installing my AFE yesterday and comparing it to my OEM Denso Air Filter, I can see the difference. Yes the AFE will give better performance due to less air restriction, not a significant difference though. I mean, If I didn't know i had changed air filters, I wouldn't know - ya know?

I'm going back to OEM after I use this AFE for a while. The OEM Denso is literally 3 - 4 times thicker in my opinion. I'm looking the for best filtration, I'm not worried about performance, if I was, I wouldn't be driving a 2.7L or even a 4.0L 6 for that matter.

Conclusion - Stick with OEM Denso Air Filter. Thanks for the links. Good tests, I've been to BTOG's site a few years back. . . Bums me out about the Napa results. I did a ton of research after I bought my Tacoma regarding which Oil Filter to use and I came to the conclusion that the Napa Gold by WIX was the best / and easily available. . .

Not falling for the AMSoil hype anymore though. I've been using it since my truck was new. Just changed my oil on Sunday after 5700 miles - hate going that long but it was the first chance I've had to get to it - 5700 MILES - AMSOIL was JET BLACK. This is the AMSoil that claims 25k between Oil Changes - Well I'm calling BULLSHIT!

Done with it, switching to Mobil One, at least I'll save $2 / Quart.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #582
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of the perceived performance difference, especially with CAI units, it the noise.
The engine sounds like it's making more power, and added power actually felt is mostly from the throttle being mashed a bit more.

Drive normally wearing a pair of earplugs and the difference won't be so pronounced, as you saw with the replacement filter in the OEM box.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #584
TacoTruckDriver is on a distinguished road

TacoTruckDriver's Tacoma Gallery
That filter has to eventually go bad. Are there any after market upper-air boxes? I have not been successful in finding any online that look like they fit.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #585
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTruckDriver View Post
That filter has to eventually go bad. Are there any after market upper-air boxes? I have not been successful in finding any online that look like they fit.
It's not a filter, so it won't go bad.

It is a sack of activated charcoal pellets and it captures fuel vapors that come back out of the throttle body after the engine is shut down.
When the engine is restarted, the fresh air pulls the captured hydrocarbons from the charcoal.

As long as the air filter is changed regularly and not replaced with an oiled element, the secondary mesh will last the life of three Tacomas, just like the charcoal canister in the evaporative control system on the fuel tank.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #586
RedDead will become famous soon enough
RedDead's Tacoma Gallery
if its sole purpose is to capture fuel vapors ..does anyone have an explanation on why removing it effects the 4cyc more than the v6?
Old 06-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #587
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDead View Post
if its sole purpose is to capture fuel vapors ..does anyone have an explanation on why removing it effects the 4cyc more than the v6?
No, just a rumor with no backing.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #588

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDead View Post
It doesn't.

It's psychological, just like a CAI.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #589
Cardiackid is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
Cardiackid's Tacoma Gallery
Installed KN air filter and replaced plugs @ 90K......increased mpg by 2-3 mpg.
I also got great MPG when traveling to/from Moore, OK to CBUS,OH running 75+ mph with A/C running.....around 24 mpg.
Go TACO!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #590
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiackid View Post
Installed KN air filter and replaced plugs @ 90K......increased mpg by 2-3 mpg.
I also got great MPG when traveling to/from Moore, OK to CBUS,OH running 75+ mph with A/C running.....around 24 mpg.
Go TACO!
If the 2-3mpg was actually accurate then your plugs must have been in really bad shape. The K&N has zero effect on mpg.

Well studied, under general non full throttle driving the throttle plate is way more restrictive than the air filter. Air filter isn't a restriction so can't effect fuel use.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf
Old 06-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #591
Massive Member
grueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
grueinthebox's Tacoma Gallery
Removed my charcoal filter today using the jhodge83 "grip 'n' rip" method. Tried briefly using a chisel to shave the posts down, decided "f that - I'm not putting the thing back on", got it done in about 5 minutes total. Cleaned the cosmoline crap the dealer had put on the engine plastics off while I was under the hood. Stuff's nasty.

Haven't taken it out for a real drive (just a couple of circles in the intersection moving it from street to driveway and vice-versa). Don't notice a big difference (if any) in sound, but the engine does rev considerably freer. Amazing what a little airflow can do. Held up the charcoal filter, could see a tiny bit of light through it at just the right angles but not much. Obviously not an insignificant restriction.

What did we ever do before the internets?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #592
poggyg is on a distinguished road
poggyg's Tacoma Gallery
no-drill removal

great info.!!! noticeable improvement in output, possibly mileage also.

May I offer a suggestion on removal of 2nd filter?

Rather than drill the rivets, I sliced the filter with a knife (no need to save it!-allowing me access between housing and filter. Same simple knife easily cut plastic rivets!

MUST be done on the bench, for the reasons stated!!

Thanks again to all of you!!!:
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #593
ThrSitRep is on a distinguished road
Marines: Shore Party
Name: Greg
ThrSitRep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Someone had a good idea on how to remove that filter while leaving the posts intact so you could reapply it later....but I can't find it!! Too many tacoma forums to visit, cant' keep tract of them all!!

Ok..found it on ToyotaNation: Post # 233 http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ary+air+filter
Haven't done this myself....
You could always use some double stick tape to re-install.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #594
mhendrixcap is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: Mike
mhendrixcap's Tacoma Gallery
Did this mod yesterday. I did the rip method. I used a small 90 degree flathead and pryed it enough to get my fingers in there, then just ripped it out. Came out clean with no plastic pieces. Took me all of 3 minutes to get it done. I haven't noticed any power increase, however I have noticed a slight better throttle response. Hope to see if it had any effect on MPG on the next fuel up.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #595

It will have zero affect on mpg.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #596
Lonnie naquin is on a distinguished road
Name: Lonnie
Lonnie naquin's Tacoma Gallery
2011 Toyota Tacoma

Is there a charcoal filter on this model with a 4 cylinder???? Thanks!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #597

Yes
Old 08-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #598
Working at the Nauga Ranch (Not for long)
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
I did this last week. I filled up yesterday mileage improved by .2 miles per gallon. I know... it's not a lot, and hardly definitive on one fillup. But I'll keep tracking my mileage. And it does have better throttle response. That alone is worth "the price of admission".
Old 08-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #599
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
I pulled mine after reading a few posts about the huge changes in performance and economy, even some stating the truck sounded differently. I expected little or no change, but thought I'd try it anyway. Regardless I did some full throttle speed/distance tests before so I could have a good comparison after. I was not surprised by the results. No change in performance, noise, nor MPG. My speed tests were rolling start 20-65MPH acceleration on flat and climbing. I did several back to back runs with and without the secondary, no change. MPG average, no change. Sound, of course, no change. After a few weeks, in case it needed to 'get used to it', I redid the speed tests. Speed dropped just tiny bit, but humidity was up so that's probably it.
Speed tests were done in 80-85 degree weather, full fuel tank, no cargo. The truck is stock with the factory air filter with 31k miles.
It's been repeatedly proven that people's feel of a car will change based on sight, sound, and the knowledge that something's been done to "make it faster" and that will change their opinion of how it's running.
For those who enjoy the fallacy of it being faster, pull it out anyway as there's no real harm as long as you don't screw up in the removal and cleanup process.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #600

^^^^^^^^ What he said.