1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Secondary Air Filter Removal

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 007Tacoma, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Sep 24, 2007 at 6:13 PM
    WildcaTaco

WildcaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab V6 TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Removed Secondary Air Filter
    Ok I would really like to thank 007 for coming up with this. However especially for the mechanically uninclined like myself the guide posted on page 1 doesn't show those of us with a V6 really what to do. So it with great humility that I will be adding this as an addendum to the original guide.

Please excuse my dirty truck =)

The first thing you will need to do is to unbolt the engine cover, there are two bolts on the front of the cover you can see one of them here, they are really easy.
    The next thing you need to do is unscrew the bolt clamp on the intake hose #1 (left side of engine bay when looking at it).

There are now two form of clips simply unlatch these:

You can now remove this part of the air filter, I put tin foil over the tube just encase.
    Now you can work on getting the secondary air filter out. There are two bolts holding down this part of the assembly (one in the front) look down and left sorry forgot to snap a pic here.
    One in the back:
    IMG_0050_d93b449a32dccc29eb4f07429bf9c85fb22eb92d.jpg
    You will need to remove the plug to the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor, you will see a little tab on the front push down on that and then very gently pull the unit out. There are in total 3 hoses connected to this assembly the one in the very front you just push the prongs on the metal tie holding it tight, push that down and pull off the tube. The second hose has another bolt clamp simply undue that like the very first one. The third one is the tricky one, it is on the very back of the filter unit but is not attached with anything so just yank it off, you can see it here:
    IMG_0053_e52232313e90e01612d31b546ac6c40a6d9c6f04.jpg
    Where It plugs into:
    IMG_0054_0ea874ae1f04735a2108f32a40c569c2036dd57a.jpg
    The final step on pulling out the box is there are two little clampy ties holding some wires to the box, grab some needle nose pliers and yank like hell. They will come off. This them near there original points after having been torn out:
    IMG_0057_acb7b875c576cec030546868a7f9017444f44aa1.jpg

Then repeat all above processes to reassemble your engine:D

edit: So this being my first mod, i've ever done to a car let me know if anything above is inaccurate or not clear enough. Just wanted to help all the people out there who opened up the hood and went WTF, this looks nothing like those pictures @&^!

GrimeyGoose likes this.
  2. Sep 25, 2007 at 3:52 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma [OP] I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Thanks for the addendum! ;)

3. Oct 7, 2007 at 8:17 AM
    07TRDsport

07TRDsport Carolina Alliance

Member:
    i just took my secondary filter out this morning. took me like 10 mins to take it all apart and 3 mins to use a flathead screwdriver and pry the filter out and 5 mins to put it all together. does it sound like i did nething wrong?

jbaker1976 likes this.
  4. Oct 7, 2007 at 9:13 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    on the v6, all u have to do is remove the 2 clips from the front where the intake meets the main assembly and the filter is right there....dunno what all u did, but getting to the secondary filter for me only took 5 seconds. do u have an aftermarket intake or something?

RenMan, tsb and TRDZILA like this.
  5. Oct 7, 2007 at 9:47 AM
    07TRDsport

Member:
    naw man thats the regular filter. do you see what wildcataco posted like 3 comments up? the whole taking the big intake box out, unclipping all the wires.. and freeing up that middle box piece. thats the secondary filter. you keep that triangular filter in.

6. Oct 7, 2007 at 10:25 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    there is a charcoal filter where u take the clips off. i know what the regular filter is...i have a k&n drop in...if u take and remove the part that holds the regular filter, there is a thick, charcoal filter right where the regular filter fits into that box. i'm at work and cant see the photos b/c they are on photobucket. i'll try to find a bypass or wait til i get home.

7. Oct 7, 2007 at 10:45 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    ok...i went back out there and looked at mine. i uncliped the 2 clips that hold on the intake....i've already removed the thick charcoal filter that is on the box going into the engine...and i noticed there is a lil aluminum mesh screen right before it exits to go to the throttle body, so i ripped that one out w/ my hands as well. are those two things yall removed?? ie the aluminum mesh screen and the triangluar shaped charcoal filter thats attached to the plastic box via the plastic welds? if so, then there's no need in taking off the cover and all that other jazz

8. Oct 8, 2007 at 3:34 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma [OP] I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I just wish I had a V6 so that I could know what the hell you guys are talking about... :confused:

My pictures show exactly what I had - nothing more - nothing less.

9. Oct 8, 2007 at 7:49 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    yeah...the pics up top dont show exactly what filters were removed...unless he removed the entire box

Boneretreiver likes this.
  10. Oct 8, 2007 at 11:14 AM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    I took some time to look over my V6 this weekend contemplating this mod. I'm with you jhodge, I just undid the clips. The stock primary air filter is on the left, and what I thought was the charcoal secondary is accessible on the right.

I suspect taking more pieces apart lets you put the secondary filter and the box it's in on a workbench to carefully drill out those plastic welds. It looked kinda awkward to me to try to get those off while the box was still mounted.

11. Oct 8, 2007 at 1:26 PM
    WildcaTaco

WildcaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab V6 TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Removed Secondary Air Filter
    Ok sorry for the confusion guys. yeah I took the entire box out so I could work with it. I'll probably delete the post above and redo it with more/clearer pictures tonight. I suppose you could drill out that filter in place but that would seem like a total pain in the ass to me and somewhat dangerous.

12. Oct 8, 2007 at 1:39 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    have any of you V6 guys noticed any change since removing the second filter? This was discussed a while ago and the general concensus was that it made a difference on the 4cyl but not on the 6

13. Oct 8, 2007 at 1:57 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    nd, i got a lil more flow out of the exhaust, so that would leave me to believe that i've got more air going in as well. it seems to have descent throttle response too. definately sounds good when i get down on it to pass.

and other v6 owners, u dont need to drill out anything. undo the 2 clips, cut a slit into the bottom if the charcoal filter to get ur fingers into it, and rip it out...the plastic welds arent that hard and it leaves no clean up...same for the aluminum screen...no tools needed, unless u count a knife...start to finish in under 5 mins...

Canyon lands and darkyota33 like this.
  14. Oct 8, 2007 at 3:02 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    ND,

I also posted some pages back that I saw a 3/4 mpg improvement while towing, and a 1 mpg improvement running solo. I also noticed the better throtle response that Jhodge mentions. If I were you I'd take that puppy out. I followed 007 method though so that if I need warranty agravation I can set the filter back in there and hope the "factory trained tech" doesn't know any better.

15. Oct 8, 2007 at 3:52 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Yeah, I'm concerned about the "grab and rip" approach too. I don't think anyone has had an emissions test since doing this (if you have, speak up!) and I'd like it to be reversible, just in case.

16. Oct 8, 2007 at 4:00 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    i hardly think that removing the charcoal filter will cause the taco's to fail emissions...unless ur in cali, then they might look for it

17. Oct 8, 2007 at 5:05 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I did not choose to save the filter for emissions, and here in Jersey our laws are almost as stupid as Cali's, and that was not what I was worried about. I just did it to avoid a potential warranty headache.

18. Oct 8, 2007 at 5:18 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    i was speaking more to sawdust's post after urs.

19. Oct 8, 2007 at 6:28 PM
    07TRDsport

Member:
    honestly ND ive been concerned on my gas milage when i switched to mobil1 full syn. on my first oil change because of all the hype and noticed a drop in milage. but this week before last i filled up and took it easy on the roads (driving 68-70) n smooth accelerations and my last mpg was 19.5 after a horrible 17 the time before. but the first tank after the mobile1 i didnt lead foot it and did exactly what im doing now and it was worse.. idk but now it seems to be doing better. this weekend i ripped out the charcol filter with a full tank.. i have been driving gas conciencious(spelling) and today i hit 75mph and up to 81mph(sucks down gas bigtime) on the highway because i had to run 20 miles down the road in 20 mins and make it to a friendly gas station to cash a check early to put money in the bank for the taco payment tomorrow and i have 215 miles on the odo. and just under 3/4 of. a tank. and Ive NEVER had that before in any driving conditions. so im hoping to make 425 miles on this tank of gas this week which is great for me. So i honestly think that removing the secondary filter on the V6's really help airflow into the engine and give a little bit better gas milage.

20. Oct 9, 2007 at 6:38 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Thanks for the responses guys, i'll have to do this at some point. i may wait till after the warranty expires so i dont catch any crap from toyota if i have any problems

Products Discussed in

To Top