LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

My Intake Temp Test ROUND 1 (interesting)

Old 12-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
My Intake Temp Test ROUND 1 (interesting)

Hey guys, within the next 2 months im gonna be doing different intake temp testings with the scangauge II, the first test is with the K&N... one with the lund screen front grille on, and the other with just the stock grille...

TEST 1

Temperature outside 64 deg

- K&N CAI with LUND screen front grille
Red light- 96 deg
Residential- 89 deg
35 mph- 85 deg
65 mph- 69 deg

TEST 2

Temp. 64 deg

- K&N CAI with STOCK grille
Red light- 91 deg
Residential- 82 deg
35 mph- 78 deg
65 mph- 67 deg

* The Results clearly show that the LUND Screen Grille didn't flow nearly as well as the stock grille.

What u guys think
Old 12-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
wow, nice info here. so you're gonna test other intakes too? how bout stock for a baseline too?
Old 12-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
wow, nice info here. so you're gonna test other intakes too? how bout stock for a baseline too?
Yup, next week im gonna test the URD tcai, im also gonna test the stock intake, and will compare the stock grille to the grillecraft mesh grille.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Tuned By Gadget

attention mods, anyway i can change the title?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Good stuff:

looking forward to the results. I would say, if no drop w/URD try to reset, recalibrate, or maybe even try to check another ScanGuage. Just make sure it's the Intake, or the Scan Gauge, and not your ECU readout...

Good luck...
Old 12-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
Makes sense to me, harder for the air to pass through, with all those little holes. As compared to the Stock, that has larger horizontal openings. Great information, good testing!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Hmmm.. interesting.

Being that the K&N CAI has a heat shield, I can't imagine that changing the grill will have any effect.

If you are looking to see what kind of effect a grill will have, watch the water temp. As for the CAI, unless it is the URD intake, if your seeing differences, it is much more likely due to ambient conditions.

I have the K&N intake as well. When cruising freeway speeds, I'm usually within 1-2* of ambient. the only time I see any change in my intake temp from other intakes is at idle.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Tuned By Gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
I have the K&N intake as well. When cruising freeway speeds, I'm usually within 1-2* of ambient. the only time I see any change in my intake temp from other intakes is at idle.

was this before or after the supercharge?

EDIT: also the screen front is very restrictive, it definitely can play a role of keeping more heat in the engine bay. im gonna test the grillecraft to the stock one at the end of the month
Old 12-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
Tuned By Gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
Can you test a better CAI?

yea next week im gonna be testing the urd tcai, and in a couple weeks ill be testing the stock intake
Old 12-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
was this before or after the supercharge?

EDIT: also the screen front is very restrictive, it definitely can play a role of keeping more heat in the engine bay. im gonna test the grillecraft to the stock one at the end of the month

Both before and after.

Do you have a picture of the grill your testing?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #12
Tuned By Gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
Do you have a picture of the grill your testing?

LUND Screen Front

stock
Old 12-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
LUND Screen Front

stock
Oh snap! I didn't know that the Lund grill looked like that. man.. that just looks like a bad idea, lol.

Now I could see a slight drop by changing over the stock grille. When you had first described it, I pictured it as more of a mesh type screen.