Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

3inch exhaust pipe too big?

Old 12-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
dabighi has a little shameless behaviour in the past
dabighi's Tacoma Gallery
3inch exhaust pipe too big?

hey question. im looking at urd exhaust and i noticed that its a 3" tube. it also says that you lose a little of the lower end power. so i was wondering if 2.75"tubing would help air flow out without losing too much bottom end and brake assist?
Old 12-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Best results would be had with a 2.5" "Y" into a 2.5" mandrel bent all the way back, with a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler in between.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i've heard 3" is too much for the v6, and more for a v8. i've got a JBA cat back that i bought from URD and its 2.5" mandrel bent SS tube. I love it.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
youll benefit the most out of the 3 inch if you decide to supercharge ur truck, if not, stick to the stock diameter
Old 12-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
I have 3'' pipe out a 4'' tip on mine I havent had any problems
Old 12-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver07taco View Post
I have 3'' pipe out a 4'' tip on mine I havent had any problems
You wont have any problems. It will run fine. You just lost some low end h.p. and torque.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You wont have any problems. It will run fine. You just lost some low end h.p. and torque.
I dont think I have, it must be very little loss
Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver07taco View Post
I dont think I have, it must be very little loss
Read my thread on "How air flows thru an engine". I cant count how many exhausts I have made, and dynoed. Trust me. Sometimes the loss is off set by the feeling of a gian on the top end. For example. A buddy and I built an exhaust for his truck. He wanted big, despite my saying otherwise. After it was installed he felt "Huge" increase in h.p.. Well, 2 weeks later, we thru it on the rollers. It made 10+ h.p. LESS on the bottom, only to make 3 peak h.p. more on the top. Also, on another friends 2001 Firebird Trans Am WS6 with the LS 1 5.7 (which came stock with two 2.5" exhaust pipes) we made a 2 into 1 system useing 3" pipe, all the way back, and a 3" in/out Dynomax muffler. It made 15 h.p. more than stock. The lowest gain was 3 h.p. and it climbed until the peak. When the h.p. dropped, it was STILL 10 h.p. more than stock. The point Im trying to make is you cant just think "Bigger is better" when it comes to exhaust. There is more to it than just getting hot burned stuff out from under the truck.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Question

Hey chris, is the Dynomax straight threw or chambered. I got the Borla cat back, and want to know what different specs the Dynomax has if any. Thinking a little more back pressure can help out.

Currently got JBA Headers, URD Y-pipe, & Borla Cat back

Will soon run DT Long tubes, " " " " "

What you think???
Old 12-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Hey chris, is the Dynomax straight threw or chambered. I got the Borla cat back, and want to know what different specs the Dynomax has if any. Thinking a little more back pressure can help out.

Currently got JBA Headers, URD Y-pipe, & Borla Cat back

Will soon run DT Long tubes, " " " " "

What you think???
Its not about "back pressure", its all about exhaust scavenging.
The Dynomax mufflers I have seen have all been straight thru. The JBA headers flows quite well, and I "think" with the DT long tubes you may see a loss of low rpm power. Until about 3000 rpm or so. Maybe less. I havent had a chance to see the DT's on a dyno, but I have seen many of the same design. Personally, I think the system you have now would be hard to improve upon.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #11
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Its not about "back pressure", its all about exhaust scavenging.
The Dynomax mufflers I have seen have all been straight thru. The JBA headers flows quite well, and I "think" with the DT long tubes you may see a loss of low rpm power. Until about 3000 rpm or so. Maybe less. I havent had a chance to see the DT's on a dyno, but I have seen many of the same design. Personally, I think the system you have now would be hard to improve upon.
Agree...

I love the sound and the power, just hate the leak I have at the Header flange. JBA is hit and miss. I've heard great things about DT Long tubes from power, sound, to quality. I am ready to loose a couple ponies on the low end, if It can be made up by a complete exhaust system that will last..

Hey if anyone got bad vibes about DT's please post. I'm about 60 days out from a $500 purchase. Share the good or bad experiences.

Thanx
Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Agree...

I love the sound and the power, just hate the leak I have at the Header flange. JBA is hit and miss. I've heard great things about DT Long tubes from power, sound, to quality. I am ready to loose a couple ponies on the low end, if It can be made up by a complete exhaust system that will last..

Hey if anyone got bad vibes about DT's please post. I'm about 60 days out from a $500 purchase. Share the good or bad experiences.

Thanx
FWIW, silver06TRD has the DT long tubes and he has been fighting leakes also. He recently found a gasket that works, and has been leak free sinse the last time I talked to him ( maybe a week?). Just find a gasket that works, or have them welded.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #13
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
FWIW, silver06TRD has the DT long tubes and he has been fighting leakes also. He recently found a gasket that works, and has been leak free sinse the last time I talked to him ( maybe a week?). Just find a gasket that works, or have them welded.
You know, this only started when I took them off and had to reinstall w/stock gaskets, purchased at dealer. "suck!!!. You think the gaskets make that much a diff. I was running some brand that JBA sent me. Got some cloth touch to it, but they were all out at time of install.
\\

Worried cause the gap is noticeable, and with stethescope that leak is obvious. And I know that this affects my tuning some due to more O2 entering right before my wideband sensor...
Old 12-03-2008, 04:56 AM   #14

Quote:
You know, this only started when I took them off and had to reinstall w/stock gaskets, purchased at dealer. "suck!!!. You think the gaskets make that much a diff. I was running some brand that JBA sent me. Got some cloth touch to it, but they were all out at time of install.
\\

Worried cause the gap is noticeable, and with stethescope that leak is obvious. And I know that this affects my tuning some due to more O2 entering right before my wideband sensor...
Yeah. Try to get the ones that JBA recomends. The joint between the header and cat is a bit different than with the stock manifold. get some extras if you can, just in case this pops up in the future.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
Enjoying my addiction

Thanks...
Old 12-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #16
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry about loosing any power with the URD Exhaust products on the 1GR.

Here is a dyno chart:

Test vehicle is a 2005 XRunner on a DynoJet dyno.

The blue line is a COMPLETELY STOCK vehicle.

The Green line is adding the URD Y pipe and 3" cat-back.

The red line is adding the URD TCAI to the Y pipe and Cat-back.

The above dyno chart is the URD TCAI only with all else stock got 18 RWHP on the same truck.

Order them up boys!!

Gadget