Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

4.10 gears and 33's

Old 02-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #21
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
It improved my MPG. On my Dodge, the speedo, and ODO work off the wheel speed sensors, and are unaffected by gearing changes. The only thing I had to re calculate was tire size, and factor that into the millage.

Edit: To add, every gas vehicle I have re geard, has shown an improvement in MPG, if larger tires were also installed.
How do heavier/wider tires at the same rpm getting you better mpg?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #22
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
With 33" tires, a manual tranny in 6th gear, and 4.10 gears, my calculations of a 70 mph speed give an RPM of about 2500.
that is what i run currently. pretty exact i must say.
stock gears with 33's
Old 02-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #23
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobo670 View Post
so logics suggests ... higher RPM = more gas consumed = less MPG?
The engine is doing less work to spiin the larger tires. Less work = better mpg. Larger tires add much more rotational mass to the drive train. Re gearing can give the engine more leverage in which to turn the tires. More leverage = less work= better mpg. I dont think I was able to do any accurate highway testing to be able to draw an accurate conclusion as to a gain.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #24
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
How do heavier/wider tires at the same rpm getting you better mpg?
Quote:
The engine is doing less work to spiin the larger tires. Less work = better mpg. Larger tires add much more rotational mass to the drive train. Re gearing can give the engine more leverage in which to turn the tires. More leverage = less work= better mpg. I dont think I was able to do any accurate highway testing to be able to draw an accurate conclusion as to a gain.
^^^
Old 02-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #25

http://www.superlift.com/library/gears.asp

Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #26
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
So what are you recalculating if the ODO is accurate?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
So what are you recalculating if the ODO is accurate?
Tire size. By increasing the tire size by 7.4% (Which I did), I added that to the odo when calculating my MPG. On my Dodge, as with most vehicles, changing tire size affects the ODO.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #28

AS can be seen in the graph (tranny tested in a 1:1 gear) 4.11's and 33" tires, will put the truck only 92 rpm higher at speed, than the stock gears/tires combo.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #29
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
very good link. bookmarked. thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #30
Relik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Eddy
Relik's Tacoma Gallery
I got 33"s and though I should go 4.56 when I regear in future, but now I see that 4.10 is better from this thread and the chart. Maybe better for lil more power back to go with thee 4.56 since overgeared more, but 4.10 is still over from stock...
Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #31
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
So whats better for 33's 4.10's or 4.56's im gonna regear in the future and i dont know shit about regearing
Old 02-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
So whats better for 33's 4.10's or 4.56's im gonna regear in the future and i dont know shit about regearing
I prefer 4.10's, as you are still slightly "over geared".
Old 02-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #33
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I prefer 4.10's, as you are still slightly "over geared".
So basically i'll go back to how it was stock before the 33's?? And would that mean that 4.56's are even higher "over geared"?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #34

Quote:
So basically i'll go back to how it was stock before the 33's?? And would that mean that 4.56's are even higher "over geared"?
Yes. The 4.56's would put you about 400 rpm higher at speed, than what stock with 31" tires would be.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Yes. The 4.56's would put you about 400 rpm higher at speed, than what stock with 31" tires would be.

Thank you sir, you just cleared up alot now i dont have to research and start a new thread lol
Old 02-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Thank you sir, you just cleared up alot now i dont have to research and start a new thread lol
LOL!!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #37
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
Chris, what should I expect to pay to have my new gears installed in my rear differential?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortland View Post
Chris, what should I expect to pay to have my new gears installed in my rear differential?
For parts and labor, figure about 500 to 650 per axel, depending on the shop. Its about the best mod for the buck you can do for the truck.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #39
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
For parts and labor, figure about 500 to 650 per axel, depending on the shop. Its about the best mod for the buck you can do for the truck.
Any recommendations of where to go in Phoenix? Also, with 255's or 285's and 4.10's do you think my MPGs will go up from what I'm getting with 265's and stock 3.73's?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #40
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Chris, this may be a dumb question but I heard there is a difference in sizes when it come to a Tacomas pumpkins. I heard that because I have a locker I have to get a ring and pinion for a 8" and all others can use the 8.4...I'm not sure what this means

Help