Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Putting exhaust cut outs in?!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
CHEROKEE
kajun123 is on a distinguished road
kajun123's Tacoma Gallery
Question Putting exhaust cut outs in?!

i have been looking around and have come up with the idea of putting exhaust cutouts on my 4.0 tacoma, it is basically like a y pipe in a sense, here is the link to see what im talking about...http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/?action=shop&sid=168&pcid=101... i was planning on leaving my factory muffler in to keep the truck quiet especially on road trips, but when im cruising around just uncap them and let it roar. I was going to place two of them on my truck, placing them right after my catalytic converters but before the point where the two pipes meet up to be one and exit the rear of the truck. This would create true duals when uncapped! Any input on what you think of this anywhere from sound to performance would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks alot
Old 12-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajun123 View Post
i have been looking around and have come up with the idea of putting exhaust cutouts on my 4.0 tacoma, it is basically like a y pipe in a sense, here is the link to see what im talking about...http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/?action=shop&sid=168&pcid=101... i was planning on leaving my factory muffler in to keep the truck quiet especially on road trips, but when im cruising around just uncap them and let it roar. I was going to place two of them on my truck, placing them right after my catalytic converters but before the point where the two pipes meet up to be one and exit the rear of the truck. This would create true duals when uncapped! Any input on what you think of this anywhere from sound to performance would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks alot
gees I'd be worried about frying the exhaust valves!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
CHEROKEE
Why is that? The air is traveling through both cats before it is dumped so some back pressure is attained there.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
CHEROKEE
nvm that last mesage i sent! didnt finish reading what u wrote! haha
Old 12-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
there is a whole science to exhaust tuning
but the bottom line is really not much change in performance, just at different rpm
so if you get performance at higher rpm you loose it at the bottom end
that's why i say stuff a noiser muffler on it
I actually dynoed an angine just for kicks with the whole exhaust disco'ed at the headers, and the engine LOST 10 h.p. accross the board.

OP, Read this, then decide if you need cut outs:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ine-basic.html
Old 12-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
I dont know about performance gains. I mean, you will deffinately loose bottom end torque.

And it will be Hella loud in your Cab being the exh lets out right under you.

On another note, cool site. I finally found the exh band clamps I was looking for. URD only had them in 3".

Well post sound clips if you try this. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
i had a 3" cutout on my 99 camaro. its gonna be hella loud