Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

4.7L V8 Engine Swap

Old 02-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
big matt is on a distinguished road
big matt's Tacoma Gallery
4.7L V8 Engine Swap

Is a 4.7L V8 engine swap possible for a 2010 Double Cab? Will I need to replace any other parts? Any Recommendations on where to buy the engine?
Old 02-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
With enough money, anything is possible. You'd have to replace everything, the engine, ECU, make the drive lines work and possibly beef up the suspension to handle the extra weight. Unless your V6 is toast, it's not worth it in my opinion. If you want power, go for a supercharger, intake, headers and an exhaust.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Hummingbird
Foihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Foihdzas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
With enough money, anything is possible. You'd have to replace everything, the engine, ECU, make the drive lines work and possibly beef up the suspension to handle the extra weight. Unless your V6 is toast, it's not worth it in my opinion. If you want power, go for a supercharger, intake, headers and an exhaust.

x2 , x3 and x4

lol
Old 02-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Goose
h.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Zack
h.zack801's Tacoma Gallery
I agree about how much work it'd be. But I mean...if I had the money I'd do it in a heartbeat. I love my Tacoma, but I can't help wishing I had that low rumble of a V8. Not to mention if you had the V8, THEN supercharged it...

Besides...NObody else would have a v8 taco. "Hey man, check this out..."
Old 02-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
What he said, for the money you would put into doing a V8 swap properly I'd go with a diesel swap for the better economy, veggie oil is free if you went that far, better power band, and just because not many others will have it.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I would buy something that will actually go fast if I wanted fast.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Night's Tacoma Gallery
The tranny is off a tundra with a 4.6L so just the engine really and accessories that you need to get it running.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Why do we get posts like this?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
jbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the rough
jbrenn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.zack801 View Post
I agree about how much work it'd be. But I mean...if I had the money I'd do it in a heartbeat. I love my Tacoma, but I can't help wishing I had that low rumble of a V8. Not to mention if you had the V8, THEN supercharged it...

Besides...NObody else would have a v8 taco. "Hey man, check this out..."
Its already been done the 5.7 tundra engine will actually fit in the engine bay.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/toyota/...r-ar97724.html
504 HP and 550 lb-ft of torque.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
Why do we get posts like this?
I never really understood why either. Most OPs never end up doing anything because they don't have the means to. It is a cool idea but in the end you have a brick that can't turn and can only be fast when you find traction which is almost never.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It is a cool idea but in the end you have a brick that can't turn and can only be fast when you find traction which is almost never.
But just imagine how it'll look and sound totally Brodozered out hauling the 250 quads out to Glamis! Gonna need that power to get over the Banning Pass!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I would buy something that will actually go fast if I wanted fast.
lol, this.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
The real questions need to be: what is your level of skill with something of this nature? Do you have plenty of tools incase something needs to be modified? If not, do you have a quality shop near you that can do the things necessary to make it fit?

Is this you DD, or do you have a second vehicle, since there will be a lot of down time?

I am pretty sure that the transmission is different for the 4.6 than the 4.0, but do you know for sure? You will need that ECU, and or a standalone to run it.

New drive shaft most likely as well. This is an extensive project. Need to be sure you are capable before you get knees deep.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
SlimScotty is on a distinguished road
SlimScotty's Tacoma Gallery
Why go though the trouble of putting a v8 4.7 in a newer taco when the 2000-2003 tundras are the same size and made for the engine ?
Old 08-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
cuz my life is dope and I do dope shit
TurdTaco13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
TurdTaco13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimScotty View Post
Why go though the trouble of putting a v8 4.7 in a newer taco when the 2000-2003 tundras are the same size and made for the engine ?
1st post bumps a 2 and a half year old thread. Awesome. Welcome to TW!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:02 PM   #16
Fire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant future

Firefighter:
Fire252fighter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdTaco13 View Post
1st post bumps a 2 and a half year old thread. Awesome. Welcome to TW!
Lol x2 had to look up to check but ya very first.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #18
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
Supercharger or fast car mod is much easier.