1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CAI and Exaust Questions/concerns

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by SKNKWRX58, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Feb 26, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    SKNKWRX58

SKNKWRX58 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Oak Park,CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4
    BFG A/T 265/75/16,w/locks Snugtop rebel; carpeted w/drop&slide,cstm wire harness switched&fused w/quick connect/,turnbuckle gate secure, gate anti thief mod DeeZee bed mat, Maglight,extinguisher Quickfist mount mod OME suspension w/Nitocharger Sport-f/r,OME leaf pack,timbren bumpstops in rear,U-bolt flip,885 coils,Camburg uni-ball UCA's, & Powerslot rotors,Hawk pads,7 pin relocate,K&N drop in. Wheelers Stainless brake lines, Rear diff. breather relocated to bed cubby,DTRM Future additions- ABS mod (soon), new 16" or 17" wheels km2's (maybe) or similar,wet okele's,thule/yakima type sys,cb/ham,and then we'll see?? poss sell the house live in the truck.
    First off I hope I post this in the right forum, if not sorry.

I have been contemplating a cai and exaust upgrade to my truck.
    I have been researching diff brands, applications and forums for info for a while now.
    My greatest concern is an inconvienant and unnessasarry break down to my truck. It is a DD and one of my hobbies all in one.
    I am not concerned with "sound" i prefer to here good music or to here my passenger(s) etc. etc.
    Back to the point. I would like some input from some qualified mechanics and top notch gearheads on the matter. As a fairly competant "backyard" mechanic, I am pretty sure that leaving well enough alone is the best option.
    If there is ANY risk that I'm gonna start having MAF, ECU, and loss of Low or High end Power and torque I just don't see the logic. My truck runs great and I DON'T want to be a fool and screw that up.
    But I am no pro so I'd like some feedback.

Thanks Guys

2. Feb 26, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The CAI won't give you any noticeable gains. Our stock air systems are already cold air.

As for the exhaust, figure under 5 hp gain. And flow masters have actually been shown to decrease power.

So if you aren't going for sound, as you said in your post, both of these mods are pointless.

3. Feb 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    KPT is right, if your not looking for better sound, it is pointless to upgrade the exhaust and intake as they will not give any other benefit.

4. Feb 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    What are everyone's thoughts on MBRP's cat-back? The TRD exhaust boasts increased low end power, Magnaflow and Banks seem to have a good reputation, I think everyone agrees that Flowmaster is junk but I haven't heard anything about MBRP and the sound clips on Youtube actually sound decent! I don't mean to thread jack but I figured the OP could benefit from this also... Thoughts?

5. Feb 26, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    SKNKWRX58

Member:
    Oak Park,CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4
    BFG A/T 265/75/16,w/locks Snugtop rebel; carpeted w/drop&slide,cstm wire harness switched&fused w/quick connect/,turnbuckle gate secure, gate anti thief mod DeeZee bed mat, Maglight,extinguisher Quickfist mount mod OME suspension w/Nitocharger Sport-f/r,OME leaf pack,timbren bumpstops in rear,U-bolt flip,885 coils,Camburg uni-ball UCA's, & Powerslot rotors,Hawk pads,7 pin relocate,K&N drop in. Wheelers Stainless brake lines, Rear diff. breather relocated to bed cubby,DTRM Future additions- ABS mod (soon), new 16" or 17" wheels km2's (maybe) or similar,wet okele's,thule/yakima type sys,cb/ham,and then we'll see?? poss sell the house live in the truck.
    Thanks for the replies. That makes it a simple choice for me; STOCK seems to be the best, and most sensible decision.

6. Feb 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Oh hell no, I'm not doing duals! I'm eyeing the stainless steel single side exit version.

7. Feb 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM
    SKNKWRX58

Member:
    Oak Park,CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4
    If the intake and exaust mods are going to produce few possitive results, and give me problems from the onset I simply can't see the point. I cant say im not dissapointed but Im not looking to light my money on fire. I work to damn hard for it! I'll sink it into the suspension, and drivetrain where I can definetly get proven results.

8. Feb 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    SKNKWRX58

Member:
    Oak Park,CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4
    That's definetly NOT an option.
    Don't SC's suck down more fuel?

9. Feb 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Brock nailed it, if you have a light foot, a SC can actually increase your MPGs. Once you get addicted to hearing that SC whine though, make friends with your local gas station attendent because you'll spend a lot of time there.

10. Feb 26, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    SKNKWRX58

Member:
    Oak Park,CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Well a SC would be nice I'm sure but I dont have the bread or the need with my truck I'm sure it's capabilities are well within my needs.
    Hey guys do I need to start a new post in the 2nd gen category to talk about other truck related stuff or just keep ramblin on?

11. Feb 26, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    SKNKWRX58

Member:
    Oak Park,CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Got It! hey man thanks for all the info

12. Mar 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM
    05TACO112

05TACO112 SouthernBuckeye

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Dothan, AL.
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4.0L 4x4 Access Cab
    throttle body spacer, k&n cold air intake, led tail lights, bull bar, chrome 16" off road wheels
    YEA I'VE BEEN DOING ALOT OF RESEARCH AS WELL DUE TO THE SIMPLE FACT MY K&N HAS GAVE ME A DECREASE IN LOW IN TORQUE AND REALLY IS NO DIFFERENT THAN YOUR STOCK INTAKE. NOW WITH THE FOLLOWING TRIO YOU WILL GET BOTH INCREASED HP OF ABOUT 15-20, IMPROVE THROTTLE RESPONSE, AND WILL NOT EFFECT YOUR MAF OR HARM YOUR TRUCKS PERFORMANCE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. URD TRUE COLD AIR INTAKE, CONSIDERED "TRUE" BECAUSE IT IS INSTALLED AROUND YOUR RADIATOR AND SITS DIRECTLY BEHIND YOUR GRILL SUBJECTING IT TO COLDER/ AND HIGHER FLOW OF AIR. $289.00. EXHAUST GO WITH THE TRD CAT BACK EXHAUST SYSTEM $390.00, ENGINEERED TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE ON 05+ TACOMAS AND NOT TO PISS EVERYONE OFF YOU DRIVE BY IN THE MORNING ALTHOUGH IT DOES HAVE A VERY NICE THROATY SOUND IN COMBINATION WITH ALL LISTED PRODUCTS. LASTLY GET THE URD MAF SENSOR CALIBRATOR TO BRING ALL YOUR AFTER MARKET PARTS TOGETHER AND GET MAX PERFORMANCE OUT OF EACH. $210.00. I PUT ALL ABOVE ON MY 2005 TOYOTA TACOMA ACCESS CAB SR5 TRD SPORT 4X4 AND HAVE NO COMPLAINTS WHAT SO EVER, ALTHOUGH CALIBRATOR INSTALATION CAN BE A LITTLE TRICKY.

www.trdparts4u.com for exhaust (also have nice trd seat covers)
    www.urdusa.com for MAF calibrator and TCAI

hope this helps man!

13. Mar 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    radar952

radar952 New Member

Member:
    nor-cal
    airaid cai, banks monster exaust.
    I put a banks monster exhaust "cat back" and an airaid-cai on my access cab.
    I drive 60/40 freeway-town. got 2 MPG better than stock under normal driving conditions. (21.5 improved to 23.5). I average 25,000 miles a year.
    If I did it again, I would do the exhaust and try a k&n drop in air filter.
    The exhaust made more of a difference in MPG, throttle response and low end torque. I also noticed the tranny shifting in to a higher gear a little faster around town. 45 mph at 1100 rpm's seems to help the MPG.
    Bottom line, they don't give any of this stuff away, if your not going to keep the thing for a few years. You won't get your money out of it.

14. Mar 13, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Not saying I doubt the MPG gains, but how did you quantify them and over how long a period of time? ECU reset? MAF calibrator? Thx

15. Mar 14, 2012 at 12:43 AM
    radar952

radar952 New Member

Member:
    nor-cal
    airaid cai, banks monster exaust.
    Nothing fancy. Trip meter and a calculator over three months. I tried to be as accurate as possible. I even Used the same gas pump at the same filling station every time. I bought the truck new and drove it for about a year before the upgrades. No ecu reset or MAF calibrator. Just good old math and record keeping.

16. Mar 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Cool. Well hopefully if I ever get around to an intake & exhaust I'll get a boost as well. :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top