Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

1st Oil change - Cleaner/easier oil filter replace

Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
Stu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enough

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
1st Oil change - Cleaner/easier oil filter replace

So did the first oil change 2nite, cold out there! 38 F. Talked with the guy @ Carquest & he said that I should be using 5W-20 instead of the 5W-30 that I read in the manual. I'd get better mileage and easier with winter coming on us. Going to MT for Christmas (1000 mi one-way) so I thought K, sounds good. What's with that?

Found that Banshee had written this up about the reset procedure. Thanks Banshee!
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...8.html#post528

Oh yeah, I found a quick way to keep things a bit cleaner with the oil filter deal too. Tried to fish a hose down to the oil pan, no go.

Got to thinkin about the BBQ drain can & BLAMO!

I used a spice jar the 4" tall ones. (Chilli Powder - if anyone cares) and wrapped about 12" of wire around the rim, twisted the wire so you have 6-8" of wire loose. Bend the wire into the jar so it looks like so...

Then take off the rubber cap under where the filter screws on, & run the wire up from the bottom, bend it over to keep it in place, then trim extra off so you don't have to reach so far. Replace filter, unbend wire, pull the jar down & out, done. Hang it next to the funnel.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
38 deg cold! HAHAHAH yeh... its gonna be in the negatives here soon.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Stu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enough

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
I know 38 isn't all that cold, but first cold here.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
nice idea with the jar..

when i did my oil change all i did was cut the top off of one of the 1qt. plastic oil containers and held it under the little drain sprout thingy as i took off the filter. worked like a charm!
Old 12-10-2008, 04:47 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The guy from car qwest may have been thinking about the 2.7. Its recomended to run 5w-20 in it. The V6 is recomended to run 5w-30, which is good to below freezing.