Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

ridiculously horrible gas mileage

Old 02-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #21
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleeharris View Post
Sorry to hear about your neighbor TACWUT. Sending prayers.

As for gas mileage, my 2010 was horrible and I tried everything, including being gentle on the throttle. I honestly have never owned a truck that got worse gas mileage. My 2000, of course it's a 2.7L gets great mileage. When I traded my 2010 in after my accident, I said screw it and got a 5.7L Tundra CrewMax. Damned if this thing doesn't get the same mileage (or better!) and it's a shit-ton bigger and all that friggin' power. It doesn't make much sense to me.

Damn, the 2nd gens need a more efficient V6...WAKE UP Toyota!
That's what irks me ha my monstrous lifted v8 Tahoe only got a little worse than what i do now. And that was in stop n go in socal
Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #22
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
That's what irks me ha my monstrous lifted v8 Tahoe only got a little worse than what i do now. And that was in stop n go in socal
It's amazing isn't it? I don't get it. Why the 2nd gen V6 is such a fuel hog, I'll never know. Damn, my brother has a 2011 9" lifted Silverado Z71 and it gets 15-16 on level hwy.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #23
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMAtose HI View Post
im getting 14 - 15 plus with 33s. i noticed my trucks mpg was pretty shitty too for the first few fill ups...i hope it gets better for you once the engine finishes breaking in.
This gives me hope. You have DC, I have AC. You run 33s n bigger lift than me while Im only going up to 265/75-16. PLEASE be done "breaking in" soon!

How crappy and for how long?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #24
TACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleeharris View Post
Sorry to hear about your neighbor TACWUT. Sending prayers.

As for gas mileage, my 2010 was horrible and I tried everything, including being gentle on the throttle. I honestly have never owned a truck that got worse gas mileage. My 2000, of course it's a 2.7L gets great mileage. When I traded my 2010 in after my accident, I said screw it and got a 5.7L Tundra CrewMax. Damned if this thing doesn't get the same mileage (or better!) and it's a shit-ton bigger and all that friggin' power. It doesn't make much sense to me.

Damn, the 2nd gens need a more efficient V6...WAKE UP Toyota!
Dude, I was so close to getting a Tundra and said "nah gas is crazy" i was going to get a 0% interest rate too.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #25

Getting a Turbo diesel!! Except not really though
Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #27
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
OP I have a V6 6spd manual. I have quite a few mods and Im getting 16 no matter how I drive, highway or city. When I was stock I was getting 19/20 on average. I would raise a flag thats not right at all. The nice thing about our trucks is no matter how you drive you will get pretty close to the same economy. 11MPG is retarded I would take it back and have it looked at to be honest it being so new. if you were getting 16 i would say its normal. 11 is laughable.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #29
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
alexander323bc's Tacoma Gallery
My 4 cylinder gets the same as a v6 I am an averaging around 17 right now my v8 4runner averaged 20 its really makes no sense.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #30
TRDyota09 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jabin
TRDyota09's Tacoma Gallery
I have experienced both automatic and 6-speed, and the 6-speed is far worse in terms of mileage, but you also have to remember that the automatic free wheels when throttle is not engaged, and also it is a TRUCK..... You shouldn't expect anything good in terms of fuel mileage when driving a truck. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just simply stating the facts!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
OP I have a V6 6spd manual. I have quite a few mods and Im getting 16 no matter how I drive, highway or city. When I was stock I was getting 19/20 on average. I would raise a flag thats not right at all. The nice thing about our trucks is no matter how you drive you will get pretty close to the same economy. 11MPG is retarded I would take it back and have it looked at to be honest it being so new. if you were getting 16 i would say its normal. 11 is laughable.
I'm calling the dealer today since I'm going back there anyways. Make them figure everything out. Thanks man, trust me I know ha when 11 came up on my calculation I was in shock. . .
Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
If you are running 87 octane, try switching to 89 minimum. It should help.
Appreciate the input man but I already do. I'm definitely goona get her looked at
Old 02-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDyota09 View Post
and also it is a TRUCK..... You shouldn't expect anything good in terms of fuel mileage when driving a truck. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just simply stating the facts!
You can quite literally expect to get around the same average mpg as people with the exact same truck instead of 5mpg less though, also somewhat of a fact.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #34
Steven is on a distinguished road
Name: Steven
Steven's Tacoma Gallery
My '09 SR5 TRD Sport is chugging 10.3 mpg, it's an automatic and that's all highway driving. I got 217 miles off of 21 gallons from my last fill...
Old 02-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #35

dude, please tell me your running monster truck tires and thousands of pounds in armor, wow
Old 02-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #36
Steven's Tacoma Gallery
I've 265/70R17's. So they're not huge, but they're bigger than stock. And weight-wise I'm not hauling anything extra. This mileage is killing me though.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #37
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
My '09 SR5 TRD Sport is chugging 10.3 mpg, it's an automatic and that's all highway driving. I got 217 miles off of 21 gallons from my last fill...
You put in 21 gallons? Was the tank sucking itself in when you filled up?

OP- how are you calculating your mileage in case i missed it. Youre doing miles driven divided by gallons pumped correct? Ive got three inch lift 255/80/17 km2s and my mileage is around 15-16 mpgs with city/hwy.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
You put in 21 gallons? Was the tank sucking itself in when you filled up?

OP- how are you calculating your mileage in case i missed it. Youre doing miles driven divided by gallons pumped correct? Ive got three inch lift 255/80/17 km2s and my mileage is around 15-16 mpgs with city/hwy.

yup, miles over gallons. i keep a notepad in every vehicle i have and document every mile/gallon, etc.

I'm praying my truck has a retarded break in/winter mix sucks and in a while ill be back up to 18mpg
Old 02-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #39
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
So not right. Your tires are barely over stock (if that). What is it with these trucks and super bad mileage sometimes? No one ever seems to have a definitive fix. You would think with such bad mileage, you'd be throwing check engine lights left and right as something is clearly off.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #40
Steven's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=joneill03;4647593]You put in 21 gallons? Was the tank sucking itself in when you filled up?

I'm actually measuring in metric cause I'm in Canada, but I ran just under 350 km (350 even converts to 217.479917 miles) with an entire 80 liter tank (converts to 21.1337642 US gallons). I zero'd the trip gauge when I filled it, then I put 79.8 liters in at the pump after I travelled 350 km. 217.479917 mi/21.1337642 gal= 10.290638 mi/gal... I just bought it from a dealer, 74000 km (about 46000 miles) on it.