Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

ridiculously horrible gas mileage

Old 04-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #61
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
TBH I'd have that truck in about 30,000 little pieces in the garage trying to find out what's causing so much drag. I'm OCD like that. (coming from someone who's coaxed 50 mpg out of a 1.8L corolla and 22 mpg from a 5.7L tundra before).

At least you're not in sledgehammer mode... I know people that immediately switch to that one!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #62
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
FIXED!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #63
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, the Prius answer doesn't fix my need for a vehicle that can handle driving in snow, fields and mud and definitely can't haul my dirt bikes, firewood or anything else. . .

The Prius answer also, I feel, is fair for people who are getting average gas mileage like 16mpg and whining that their truck doesn't get good mileage. That is also where the all famous, "It's a Truck" statement comes in. While someone getting the average mileage of most like vehicles to his complaining that it doesn't get the mileage of say, a Prius, is not very wise for complaining, it is completely reasonable to look into the cause of you're low gas mileage when you are getting significantly lower mileage than vehicles exactly like yours or even heavier and with more resistance.

11mpg is not normal, barely squeezing 13 out of it in good conditions isn't normal either. And so to ask others if they may know the root of the apparent anomaly in your vehicle makes perfect sense.

Gotta know when to use what arguments. A picture of a car does nothing for anyone.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #64
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Nope, the Prius answer doesn't fix my need for a vehicle that can handle driving in snow, fields and mud and definitely can't haul my dirt bikes, firewood or anything else. . .

The Prius answer also, I feel, is fair for people who are getting average gas mileage like 16mpg and whining that their truck doesn't get good mileage. That is also where the all famous, "It's a Truck" statement comes in. While someone getting the average mileage of most like vehicles to his complaining that it doesn't get the mileage of say, a Prius, is not very wise for complaining, it is completely reasonable to look into the cause of you're low gas mileage when you are getting significantly lower mileage than vehicles exactly like yours or even heavier and with more resistance.

11mpg is not normal, barely squeezing 13 out of it in good conditions isn't normal either. And so to ask others if they may know the root of the apparent anomaly in your vehicle makes perfect sense.

Gotta know when to use what arguments. A picture of a car does nothing for anyone.

Did you want a tissue? It seems you are looking for one, this topic has been discussed on several posts and such, a simple search would net a possible answer or at least a point of ref to head to. If it helps, I'll be more careful of my sarcasm for the carebears out there...
Old 04-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #65
thegreatga is on a distinguished road
Name: wyatt
thegreatga's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation

I believe at this point in the post people are just trying to state that if your mpg are that significantly low their would be evidence that something is terribly wrong with your truck and you should probably seek some warranty work.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #66
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

you MUST be doing something wrong. Theres no possible way to get that bad of gas mileage. Although the 6 speed V6 is by far the worst out of all of them, but you should be 14-16 no?
Old 04-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #67
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Not that I can think of. I bought a UltraGauge just to track it two ways instead of one. My driving habits are fine, I'm over it though ha there was a guy a in here getting even worse.

I think it was post 55, meh, it's over with.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #68
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not that I can think of. I bought a UltraGauge just to track it two ways instead of one. My driving habits are fine, I'm over it though ha there was a guy a in here getting even worse.

I think it was post 55, meh, it's over with.
ya shit happens. I lost 6 mpg when i put the 5100's on and the bigger BFG's. Sucks but I wouldnt go back Im so in love with it
Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #69

I've been looking at 84-94 pickups for fun if I get one of those go carts I'll have good mileage there at least ha
Old 04-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #70
=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed
=JSG='s Tacoma Gallery
I average 22-27 MPG in the summer and 18-23 in the winter, mostly on the highways. 3" lift with 32" tires, I use Quaker state Ultra Durability oil every 6000+ KM. Also let your engine do the breaking, I see so many people on the highway breaking like they are driving in the city. Lost momentum and starting over again is horrible on gas mileage.