Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

ridiculously horrible gas mileage

Old 02-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
ridiculously horrible gas mileage

I just traded up to a 2012 manual 6 speed. I don't even have my 5100s or tires on here yet, they're sitting in South Dacotah waiting for me to install in two weeks but now I'm rethinking that. So, bone stock and brand new:

Three fill ups on highway
13.62 mpg (gave it a little first day)
14.79 mpg
14.77 mpg
First fill up after running through almost a whole tank in town
11.32 mpg

My 2011 automatic was averaging 18.4-18.6 with most in town.

I drive light, I've had manuals most of my life (minus two vehicles)

Could it be break in? Winter gas?

I thought it was bad with the v6, 6-speed guys reporting 13-14 avg but figured they didn't drive as nice as me!

I'm literally thinking about trading back in for something else!!

Man I love driving manual but at the cost of 4-5mpg vs my automatic, not worth it!

Anyone else running this bloody low? Can i expect improvements. Or should I keep my after market tires, wheels and suspension and get a truck that doesn't inhale gas?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Can't find anyone getting this low without mods. . . Lame
There's no way break in/winter mix = THAT much difference is there? Wait it out?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
COMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

COMAtose HI's Tacoma Gallery
im getting 14 - 15 plus with 33s. i noticed my trucks mpg was pretty shitty too for the first few fill ups...i hope it gets better for you once the engine finishes breaking in.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
TACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Hey brah, i feel your pain. Brand new truck here with 31.6" wheels n spindle lift. I fill up every four to five days n i only drive 10 miles round trip to the gym n 26 to work. I found that staying at 1500 rpm makea me last like 6-7 days on same routine otherwise. I usually get about 240 miles total out of a tank. Driving slower gives me bout 280
Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
jwest68 is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
jwest68's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, I seem to be doing pretty good then. I just got my 2012 DCSB TRD last thursday, and have a 187 miles and only used a half tank so far. All stock still
Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #6

I'll give it a bit but if gas mileage is this bad just from switching to a manual Idk if i even want it any more. . . Who knows where ill be after suspension and tires go on in two weeks.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
I've learned that if you drive the 2nd gens too carefully, it chews up more gas. That is, don't baby it getting up to speed. Don't floor it of course, but don't baby it. Just get there like you normally would. Then once up to speed, drive steady (the proverbial egg under foot). That's where you can save. And use your momentum and gravity to your favor, coasting when you can. I also read a post by a guy who said he tries to be in 6th by 40mph on the flats, and he was getting low 20s in his FJ doing that. I believe he shifted 1-2-4-6.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
I've learned that if you drive the 2nd gens too carefully, it chews up more gas. That is, don't baby it getting up to speed. Don't floor it of course, but don't baby it. Just get there like you normally would. Then once up to speed, drive steady (the proverbial egg under foot). That's where you can save. And use your momentum and gravity to your favor, coasting when you can. I also read a post by a guy who said he tries to be in 6th by 40mph on the flats, and he was getting low 20s in his FJ doing that. I believe he shifted 1-2-4-6.
I have experienced this EXACT thing. I've tried babying too much I think and saw almost worse mileage that I would see in heavy/moderate traffic. And if I am in flat ground, it's going into 6th rather early too. My auto, that is a different story
Old 02-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
TACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
What a dilemma with gas prices n our rides lol. BRUTHAS, just remember, when all seems a bit to much that it could be worse. Not to turn something bad into sonething worse but my neighbor was parting her belongings in her garage with her sister today. She is losing a battle vs cancer. honestly fellas, fawk it! Enjoy your sexy ass truck and take it as it comes.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
I have experienced this EXACT thing. I've tried babying too much I think and saw almost worse mileage that I would see in heavy/moderate traffic. And if I am in flat ground, it's going into 6th rather early too. My auto, that is a different story
I coast like it's cool and skip gears when I can.
I do very slightly baby it on starts once in a while. Ill give it a little more this tank and see how I average. What's the worst that could happen ha

I really don't see how you can be in 6th by 40 though, I'm in fifth by then, but 6th would be too low rpms I think.

We'll see, I've got two weeks till I head back to my dealer that promised me wheels and tires as part of negotiation then messed up so I'll go make them feel bad for being tarded then see if my new suspension and tires hurts me even more
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
I do very slightly baby it on starts once in a while. Ill give it a little more this tank and see how I average. What's the worst that could happen ha

I really don't see how you can be in 6th by 40 though, I'm in fifth by then, but 6th would be too low rpms I think.

We'll see, I've got two weeks till I head back to my dealer that promised me wheels and tires as part of negotiation then messed up so I'll go make them feel bad for being tarded then see if my new suspension and tires hurts me even more
Can't hurt to try I guess. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

Name: John
sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACWUT View Post
What a dilemma with gas prices n our rides lol. BRUTHAS, just remember, when all seems a bit to much that it could be worse. Not to turn something bad into sonething worse but my neighbor was parting her belongings in her garage with her sister today. She is losing a battle vs cancer. honestly fellas, fawk it! Enjoy your sexy ass truck and take it as it comes.
So true....way worse things in life could be upon us. Fluctuating gas prices will always fluctuate so like you said, take it as it comes. Gas prices will be down one of these decades..not much we can do though but keep on keepin on as Joe Dirt would say.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Don't know if you or them are believers but I'll be sending up some prayers for your neighbor. I just lost a couple family members too cancer as well.

Perspective brother, changes lives better than anything money can buy.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post

You could also try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes, and let the computer reset itself. Then let it relearn. Low RPMS are just fine unless it feels like it's lugging, which is no good. Just experiment with it. But definitely don't baby it too much off the line.

As I put it in another thread, if my Ultra Gauge tells me I'm getting 6 MPG, but I'm up to speed & level off in 200 yards, that's better mileage than if I baby it and get 10 MPG, but it takes me 400 yards to get up to speed. Then once up to speed, especially in a flatland like Lincoln, you should be able to get great MPG with a steady foot.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
Iloveoregon is one of the sharper tools in the shedIloveoregon is one of the sharper tools in the shedIloveoregon is one of the sharper tools in the shedIloveoregon is one of the sharper tools in the shedIloveoregon is one of the sharper tools in the shedIloveoregon is one of the sharper tools in the shedIloveoregon is one of the sharper tools in the shedIloveoregon is one of the sharper tools in the shedIloveoregon is one of the sharper tools in the shedIloveoregon is one of the sharper tools in the shedIloveoregon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nic
Iloveoregon's Tacoma Gallery
Ive had my 2012 for the last three months and I get the worst mileage, I check with every fill up and it seems to be stuck around 14-14.8MPG.. This is crazy, I have changed my driving style and it doesn't change at all.. WTF?!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
You could also try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes, and let the computer reset itself.
You troll me not? . . . Hmm, easy enough I suppose.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #17

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Absolutely, gosh im 26 and doctors and i thought i had colon can er just two weeks ago. Saddest and most stressful time of my adult life. Keep on truckin fellas.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #18
Frankoo1234 has a brilliant futureFrankoo1234 has a brilliant futureFrankoo1234 has a brilliant futureFrankoo1234 has a brilliant futureFrankoo1234 has a brilliant futureFrankoo1234 has a brilliant futureFrankoo1234 has a brilliant futureFrankoo1234 has a brilliant futureFrankoo1234 has a brilliant futureFrankoo1234 has a brilliant futureFrankoo1234 has a brilliant future

Frankoo1234's Tacoma Gallery
Sucks man if it gets worse with the suspension and tires.. take them off as soon as you get home and sell them! haha but like Sir1123 and the other fellas said enjoy it! gas prices are cheap at the moment!! couple years down the line we will be wishing we paid 5 bucks a gallon again...remenising about the times when we used to pay 4bucks and 50 cents a gallon.. haha
Old 02-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear about your neighbor TACWUT. Sending prayers.

As for gas mileage, my 2010 was horrible and I tried everything, including being gentle on the throttle. I honestly have never owned a truck that got worse gas mileage. My 2000, of course it's a 2.7L gets great mileage. When I traded my 2010 in after my accident, I said screw it and got a 5.7L Tundra CrewMax. Damned if this thing doesn't get the same mileage (or better!) and it's a shit-ton bigger and all that friggin' power. It doesn't make much sense to me.

Damn, the 2nd gens need a more efficient V6...WAKE UP Toyota!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #20
Quote:
Absolutely, gosh im 26 and doctors and i thought i had colon can er just two weeks ago. Saddest and most stressful time of my adult life. Keep on truckin fellas.

Yeah that'll wake you right up.