Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

trd supercharger

Old 03-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Nizz11 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matthew
Nizz11's Tacoma Gallery
trd supercharger

I have been thinking about purchasing the trd supercharger for my 2011 Tacoma but holding back wondering if it is really worth it?? I do have a small lift with bigger tires.... Will it help the MPG?? Just wanted some thought on what you guys think of it.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
SuperTacoma will become famous soon enoughSuperTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Clint
SuperTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I heard the same thing as HonoluluTaco. You feel the pep but it doesn't improve mpg much if at all. I heard maybe 1 mpg if you are very lite on the pedal but who wants a supercharger to be lite on the pedal, right!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
wormfood is a splendid one to beholdwormfood is a splendid one to beholdwormfood is a splendid one to beholdwormfood is a splendid one to beholdwormfood is a splendid one to beholdwormfood is a splendid one to behold

Army: prior:Combat Engineer 21B, 6th Engineer Battalion  Fort Wainwright AK
Name: David
wormfood's Tacoma Gallery
Read up.

You really need to read up in the forums.

There is a wealth of information from guys that use their trucks for diff things, and they give their experience with their SCs.

That's what I did, then I bought one!

My experience buying it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormfood View Post
I am in TX, this is what I have so far:

Round Rock, TX (my dealer, waiting for a counter quote vs Killeen):
" I got the parts department to cut the price down to $4000. Then service said they would charge 10 hours of labor at $98 an hour. so your total cost would end up being $4980 installed."

Killeen, TX:
"We can do $3850.00 for the TRD supercharger and the fit kit. Labor will be at a discounted rate of 70/hr. for a total of $560.00 if you purchase the supercharger through us. ($4410) If you purchase the supercharger elsewhere, labor will be 95/hr. for a total of $760."

Temple, TX:
"The parts price with tax is $4871.25 ($4500.00 for parts and $371.25 for tax.)
The labor cost for install is $660.00 (this is six hours of labor.)
Total cost of parts and installation will be $5531.25."

Quick thoughts:
  • book says 6 hours, but unless the shop has done a few, it will take them longer, so a 6 hr labor quote most likely means they have never done one. or have done a lot, ask.
  • you can get this wrapped into the over all financing.
  • This has a cool factor of 10, and minus adding two Labrador Retriever puppies to your ride, the SC is the best bang for your buck upgrade to get chicks!
It would be cheaper being a crack addict...
I checked into that last part, it's not cheaper.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Do not buy a supercharger in hopes of MPGs... Buy a car for that. I am looking to buy one in the near future here too. Will I get better mileage? Sometimes. I am buying it for the fun/cruising power/badassness/towing and that's really all anyone should buy one for.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
amain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
amain's Tacoma Gallery
For myself I purchased the SC to get the power back I lost with all the mods. Well worth the cost.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #8
Woodstocktaco is on a distinguished road
Woodstocktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone done any towing with the S/C installed? I have a small TT (approx 4500K) & the truck handles it well, but it really howls on long moderate grades. Wondering if those with S/C's have found it stays in boost even when towing flat grades at 65-70mph with the standard (dealer installed) S/C ECU flash? Or has anyone developed a towing specific tune for the S/C?
Old 04-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
brny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Bill
brny67's Tacoma Gallery
if I had an extra 4500 I would be all over this,once i get the veh pd off in about 1.5 yrs I will be doing this.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
I have towed and offroaded the piss out of my supercharger. The S/C along was rather dissapointing honestly. Once I put the URD 2.8" under drive pulley on it picked up a ton of pep. Towing it makes a huge differance as does offroading. I can get 24 mpg on the freeway doing 60-65mpg on the freeway and about 20mpg in town. That is with my lift, armor all around, and bigger tires. That mpg is adjusted for tire size on my scan gauge and GPS. I have the 6spd manual so an auto will get slightly better milage.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Lol. A supercharger is a power adder not a MPG enhancer. Get rid of the lift and tires for better MPG.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:42 AM   #12
motostein is a jewel in the roughmotostein is a jewel in the roughmotostein is a jewel in the rough
Name: david
motostein's Tacoma Gallery
my SC is on its way for MEAN GREEN! MILEAGE BLAHH BUY A CAR!

CANT WAIT MY SC IS ON ORDER!!! I thought MEAN GREEN was already fast!!!
Attached Thumbnails
trd supercharger-phone-382.jpg   trd supercharger-phone-385.jpg   trd supercharger-phone-387.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Thought that the S/C wasn't out for 2012 yet?
It's not yet, they're still working on the software for the ECU according to another thread.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #15
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by motostein View Post
CANT WAIT MY SC IS ON ORDER!!! I thought MEAN GREEN was already fast!!!
So did your truck come with a free Monster hat and a 12 pack of fucking red bull?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
So did your truck come with a free Monster hat and a 12 pack of fucking red bull?

24 pack.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #17
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizz11 View Post
I have been thinking about purchasing the trd supercharger for my 2011 Tacoma but holding back wondering if it is really worth it?? I do have a small lift with bigger tires.... Will it help the MPG?? Just wanted some thought on what you guys think of it.
Don't pay $4k for a new SC kit just wait... Look around abit and see if you can find one that has been slightly used for a better price. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #18
brny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Bill
brny67's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
WOW...
Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
Don't pay $4k for a new SC kit just wait... Look around abit and see if you can find one that has been slightly used for a better price. Good luck!
No you really want new for a power adder. Slightly used might mean slightly used at 8000rpm the whole time.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #20
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post

24 pack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brny67 View Post
WOW...
I wish I could get a DB lift and put 35's on my truck and talk about how fast it is.......