Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

4.0 Gas Mileage

Old 03-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #41
Cpt. Bubbleguts
S7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
S7ICKlVlAN's Tacoma Gallery
OP if it makes you feel any better, I'm getting about 16mpg's with mixed driving (1092mi on the clock) and while it will break it and hopefully get better, I am actively looking for solutions to improve this. That, and I drive like a nut. LOL

Check out NST pulleys, and anything else that will reduce your rotating mass/weight. I personally am planning on going with the URD TCAI, NST pulleys, URD Aftercat, and the MAF cal.....even though we have trucks, and they're not supposed to get good mileage, and they're not fast, blah, blah, blah....The same rules apply to any combustion engine. More air in/out, more efficiently is good.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #45
Murdock, I'm coming for you!
zapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Paul
zapper's Tacoma Gallery
turkey hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry70Stang View Post
That's very similar to what I'm getting. I'm headed to Alabama turkey hunting this week, so I'll get a chance to see what it'll do on a long road trip. I'll be driving fairly slow because I'll be following a buddy pulling a travel trailer. I'm hoping for 22-23 with cruise on 65, mostly flat ground too, so that should help.
Aside from mileage concerns, us Yankees up north here in Pennsylvania have some pretty good turkey hunting! Spring season opens in April, then we have a pretty long fall season. Turkeys have made a huge comeback. The Black Bear population is growing every year too! Have a good hunt, enjoy yourself!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #46
Cpt. Bubbleguts
S7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
S7ICKlVlAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Braille 15 pound battery, carbon fiber hood, one piece aluminum driveshaft, lighter wheels and tires.....Are a few....
Gotcha!

OK, I'm looking into the battery. Wanted to remote mount in the bed storage compartment.....drill holes for the terminals if necessary. Also looking into a CF hood or Fiberglass with extractors. My wheels are lighter than stock, but that got eaten up by the Duratracs (necessary evil IMO).

Now where'd you see the aluminum DS?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #48
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
That is definitely a good site. Excellent find.

For mine, there is a shop right around the corner from my house.

http://northwestdrivetrainservice.com/

They built my one piece steel, which was originally designed to fit the factory 4x4 transmission, with up to a 6" lift. Also work all the way to lower than stock height.

That one weighs in about half or less of the factory two piece.

The 4" aluminum weighs even less. O_O

For those that don't know, less rotating mass = less strain on the drive-train = freed up whp.

Also makes the whole vehicle lighter = less force (load) to get the vehicle moving.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #51
zapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shedzapper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
zapper's Tacoma Gallery
Long Trip Mileage

This Saturday morning I will be driving from Erie PA to Detroit MI. 268 miles one way, all interstate, flat terrain, 69 mph. Will let you know how I do.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:17 AM   #52
Barry70Stang is on a distinguished road
Name: Barry
Barry70Stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
Aside from mileage concerns, us Yankees up north here in Pennsylvania have some pretty good turkey hunting! Spring season opens in April, then we have a pretty long fall season. Turkeys have made a huge comeback. The Black Bear population is growing every year too! Have a good hunt, enjoy yourself!
I'm going to Nebraska in May...........looooong way to kill a turkey!!! But it will be fun, other than the drive! Leaving for Alabama in about an hour
Old 03-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #53
Quote:
This Saturday morning I will be driving from Erie PA to Detroit MI. 268 miles one way, all interstate, flat terrain, 69 mph. Will let you know how I do.
I just checked mine, 19 mpg on the last tank. Not too bad, that was going back and forth to work all week. I was very mindful of my driving, slow take offs, and keep the RPM around 2k.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:21 AM   #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyJ33 View Post
I normally get 15 mpg or so on long road trips, but this weekend I set the cruise on 68 mph and got 19.3 mpg. It was 400 miles, almost all highway. Definitely gonna be doing this much more often!
Yep, the times are demanding a change in our driving habits.......I'd rather drive like I'm racing though
Old 03-30-2012, 04:24 AM   #55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
That is definitely a good site. Excellent find.

For mine, there is a shop right around the corner from my house.

http://northwestdrivetrainservice.com/

They built my one piece steel, which was originally designed to fit the factory 4x4 transmission, with up to a 6" lift. Also work all the way to lower than stock height.

That one weighs in about half or less of the factory two piece.

The 4" aluminum weighs even less. O_O

For those that don't know, less rotating mass = less strain on the drive-train = freed up whp.

Also makes the whole vehicle lighter = less force (load) to get the vehicle moving.
Dude, you have definitely got it going on, but all the mods you are doing to your Toyota......I reserve that kind of stuff for my Mustang
Old 03-30-2012, 04:31 AM   #56
Quote:
Cool, you should do pretty good..........if you can keep ya foot out of it
Old 04-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #57
zapper's Tacoma Gallery
Detroit road trip

OK here we go. Saturday the 31st drove to Detroit from Erie PA. 268 miles to Detroit, plus 77 miles stop and go, 345 total. 20.88 MPG. Trip from Detroit to Erie, 280 miles non stop. 21.16 MPG. 70 miles per hour, cruise control most of the trip. Tough keeping it at 70 when everybody else is flying by at 80 plus!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #58
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
This past week, took an 800 miles trip. Avg almost 23 mpg doing 70-75 mph.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #59
MDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of light

Law Enforcement: MD State Fire Marshal
MDFM31's Tacoma Gallery
I averaged close to 21mpg during a recent trip from central to western Maryland, about 100 miles on routes 70 and 68, with lots of big hills. That's on 93 octane gas, a very light load, my little 1.75 billy lift, and 32" p series hankook a/t's pumped up to 45psi. I stayed around 65mph without cruise, and it's a dcsb sport 6 speed. I think my wheels are hurting me, they seem like they could be pretty heavy: pro comp 7033 17x9. All those fake beadlock bolts are steel, not plastic like some others. I remember getting about the same, if not better mileage on the same trip a few years ago but before any mods and the bed was full of camping gear, as was the rear passenger area.