Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

4.0 Gas Mileage

Old 03-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Barry70Stang is on a distinguished road
Name: Barry
Barry70Stang's Tacoma Gallery
4.0 Gas Mileage

Well, I checked the gas mileage on my new Tacoma on a road trip......17.5 mpg I was hoping for better. That was mostly interstate driving with cruise control on 78. I know it would get better if I'd slow up.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I get that in the city on 33s
Old 03-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds right
Old 03-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
should go up as it breaks in.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Well, that's not all that bad considering you're driving something about as aerodynamic as a barn door into hurricane force winds...
Old 03-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
At 78 mph
Old 03-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
BmacTaco is on a distinguished road
BmacTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, that seems about right - lower speed will give you a little better.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I get about a 15.5 - 16.2 highway or city driving. I wish I could get 17.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Yah, that is right for that speed.. a little over what I would expect... What TRD are you (original Off Road, or extra crispy Sport)? Are you a 4WD (more weight, some more drag)? You can get over 18 mpg if you keep the RPMs under 2000 (max 65 mph) and not loaded down, not driving uphill...
Old 03-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
How about all TWers join Fuelly.com and post the link so we can see your average MPG on each of your posts? Also, don't lie with the data you input... doesn't help anyone.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
Old Guy...In a Kids Truck
2012sporttrd is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
2012sporttrd's Tacoma Gallery
I check mine 100% highway @ 67mph 20.8 mpg..........
16.5mpg back and forth to work and around town
Old 03-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #14

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012sporttrd View Post
I check mine 100% highway @ 67mph 20.8 mpg..........
16.5mpg back and forth to work and around town
2WD or 4WD? The highest I have ever recorded was 19.2 mpg (on ethynol-free Mexican gasoline).
Old 03-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Yah, that is right for that speed.. a little over what I would expect... What TRD are you (original Off Road, or extra crispy Sport)? Are you a 4WD (more weight, some more drag)? You can get over 18 mpg if you keep the RPMs under 2000 (max 65 mph) and not loaded down, not driving uphill...
My truck is 4WD, four door. Not sure about the other you are talking about??? off road or extra crispy??? Sticker on the side says TX TRD....does that mean Texas turd,lol! The sticker said 16/21 City/Hwy. I'm driving back and forth to work this week, so I'm going to see what I get on this tank. I've got 18 redlights between my house and work! Gas mileage is going to suck I'm afraid.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
2WD or 4WD? The highest I have ever recorded was 19.2 mpg (on ethynol-free Mexican gasoline).
4WD
Old 03-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I used to get 20 mpg. Damn tires killed that.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusher View Post
I'd donate a kidney to get 17! I get around 14 with normal driving and about 70% city/30% highway. If I try real hard to accelerate slowly and keep it below 70mph, I think I can get 15.5-16. So, screw it!
Cool looking truck!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #20

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry70Stang View Post
My truck is 4WD, four door. Not sure about the other you are talking about??? off road or extra crispy??? Sticker on the side says TX TRD....does that mean Texas turd,lol! The sticker said 16/21 City/Hwy. I'm driving back and forth to work this week, so I'm going to see what I get on this tank. I've got 18 redlights between my house and work! Gas mileage is going to suck I'm afraid.
When someone IDs their truck as a TRD... without the type, I ask... as there is a BIG difference between a Sport TRD and an Off Road TRD.

Before 2005, all TRDs were Off Road (the Sport was created with the 2005 year model). If a TX has the locking rear differential, then it is an Off Road. If it has a scoop on the hood, it is a Sport... If both, then you can shout to the world! LOL