Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Quick TRD Supercharger questions

Old 03-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

Name: Jason
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
Quick TRD Supercharger questions

I noticed on XRU that Werty exploded his engine recently. Also, I read somewhere that the TRD supercharger has a service life of 60k or 100k miles? I know there are ways to prolong the lifespan of the device (changing snout oil regularly), but does the FI system have any business on a vehicle that one plans on keeping or running to 200k miles? I have 44k on my truck right now. What are the options and cost of refurbishing the blower when it's life is up?

Other questions, performance related:
1. Does the TRD supercharger require a re-tune if you put a smaller pulley on it for more power?
2. Can smaller pulleys be put on with little detrimental effects due to a stock exhaust system, or at most a cat-back (CA emissions being the reason)?
3. Are there any fuel system mods that need to be done for higher boost pulleys?
4. How easy is it to add a larger capacity radiator for the liquid-air intercooler, and is it really needed for a daily driver vehicle that will not be dragged? The only full power use it should see is while towing (2klb trailer), on ramp acceleration, and additional power for passing.

A lot of questions, but thanks in advance!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
The reason he blew his motor up is because of all the additional mods he did after the s/c. He had a raised rev limiter using the x-1 with a bunch of other addons. To be honest I'll blame the raised rev-limiter for the failure of the engine. It puts stress on parts that aren't made to rev that high constantly for long periods. You shouldn't use his as a basis for engine reliability. I'm not suprised he blew his motor and would of expected it to happen sooner. As with all the other members over on xru that have blown up their motors is because they are pushed to the limit, or screw them up because they don't have a clue when it comes to engine work.

Adding a s/c shouldn't really take away in the life of the engine. As long as it is maintained regularly there should be no problem. Oil in the s/c should be changed every 100k according to trd, or if you want to change it sooner.

for your other questions.
1. Your only option for tuning is with the use of a piggy back system. Map-ecu, ect that urd sells. You can run the urd 2.8" pulley fine on the stock reflash from TRD.
2. No. Exhaust will help get that exhaust out faster and will make more power because of it.
3. Yes, you can get larger injectors, but will require a way to tune them. Piggy back computer.
4. Don't have to change it. TRD did a good job as it comes.

I installed the s/c on my truck at 14k in 07 have 53k now with no issues. I'm running headers, exhaust, intake, and the APR 2.8" pulley all on the re-flash from TRD.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

I know Werty was extensively modded, but it raised questions in my head as to whether a supercharger is truly a long term mod.

Thanks for answering my questions.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
I know Werty was extensively modded, but it raised questions in my head as to whether a supercharger is truly a long term mod.

Thanks for answering my questions.
Any power adder isn't a long term mod. You are putting more stress of the engine.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
Most likely was the raised rev limiter/e85 tune in my opinion

The truck had a hot tune and drove amazing. But those stock rods cant handle the stress.

Truck had 96,000 miles on it. 66,000 boosted and the last 15,000 I had that increased rev limit, which I used maybe....20-30 times.

Never had any audible knock or power issues. It just let go without any warning. Time to buy some forged rods
Old 03-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #6

Sorry to hear about the engine, Werty. I really enjoy your youtube videos and hope you make more in the future.

So the supercharger doesn't have a service life of 100k, just an oil change interval of that mileage?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing to watch for is if you tow or offroad in hot climate (like arizona or such). My truck gets crazy hot while offroading due to the supercharger. I am thinking of running a pusher fan system as well as the stock fan system.

I also have the URD 2.8" underdrive pulley installed on mine and it makes a TON of differance. I think it made the truck/supercharger combo what it should have been from the factory.

Best mod I have done other than the actual supercharger itself.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
novanut21's Tacoma Gallery
I'd also run URD's Fuel Pump Kit as added insurance. I'm running one now with stock pulley. But plan to go to the 2.85 pulley and hopefully one day get it tuned with the U-CON EMS.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
My plans are to flush my intercooler system when I flush my regular coolant. I figure they have the same service interval considering the fact that they use the same coolant.

Toyota claims that the S/C does not ever need to be serviced after install. From my browsings around of XRUnderground most of those guys tend to have their snout oil changed around 100k miles of supercharger use. It really depends on how much you beat it up.

The only other maintenance I could think of would be after a lot of miles >120k or lots of heavy use the internals might need to be rebuilt but I think that would be a case by case choice.

I've had my S/C on for three weeks now and have loved every minute of it so far!

Feel free to PM me about a lot of the TRD S/C stuff, I spent a good year gathering as much info and advice as I could before going forward with this as I need this truck to last a VERY long time so maintenance and wear are very important to me.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
HUH?
Jkohler is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
02 tacoma 3.4L S/C stage 2

Hey all, I dont know if this is the right place to post this but i was reading and have some question it sounds like you guys could help me out with! I have an 02 taco with the black stage 2 supercharger. I have 120k miles and have never done any maintenance or upgrades on the s/c. I've read that i should change the s/c oil (4oz). What else should i do or add to make sure it runs strong for another 80k miles? Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Justin.