1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

temp gauge issue

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by kfq269, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Mar 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    kfq269

kfq269 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2004 toyota tacoma
    Ive had my 04 taco for five yrs and the problem im asking about is why does my temp gauge always show normal operating temp even after sitting overnight in the middle of winter? My fan constantly runs even during a cold winter start. Are these two issues connected? How do I make the repair myself? Thanks

2. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    LGE RAW

LGE RAW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Dothan
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCSB 6AT Magnetic Gray Metallic
    New Mods in the works.
    sounds like your sending unit may have failed. You can get it checked at the auto parts stores that have scanners, or you can use the torque app to read it if you have an android phone.

3. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    And if the sending unit is bad, the Ultragauge won't tell him anything his "idiot needle" isn't already telling him.

Obviously, if the fan (electric?) is kicking on and the gauge shows mid-scale when the engine is cold, there's a problem with one or more of the sensors.

4. Mar 12, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    1GR

1GR Toyota Dealer Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    If there is an open or short in the THW (ECT) sensor, or wiring, the system will have a default "failsafe" of 80 degrees celcius (normal operating temp). Your fans will always run to prevent overheating, and the temp gauge will always read normal. Find a scan tool that can read parameters, and see if the ECT says
    -40 or 120/140. Keep in mind these are metric measurements. Sorry, Canadian. The low end will be an open, whereas the high end will be a short. More then likely the sensor itself, but do not eliminate corrosion in connectors, or a broken wire. The open/short reading will help you there. If you would like to diagnose this yourself, pm me, and I will assist you. Must be at least a little mechanically inclined.

-S

Products Discussed in

To Top