1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

wondering if i should save my money TRD Exhaust and TRD Cold Air intake?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TRDMike66, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Mar 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    TRDMike66

TRDMike66 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    so. cal.
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD SR5 Package
    Bilstiens 5100's all the way around, wet okale seat covers, red led interior lights,Level 8 Guardians wrapped with Hankook Dynapro's 260/70/17 and 35mm caps/black gorilla lugs,sock monkey TRD So Cal Bedside Decals BANKS-Monster Cat-Back Exhaust, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, One of a kind satoshi grille thin lip by Homer Taco.
    I am new here but i have a question is it worth my money to change out both exhaust and intake to TRD exhaust and TRD cold Air Intake.My truck is a 2007 TRD v6?

2. Mar 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    TRDMike66

TRDMike66 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    so. cal.
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD SR5 Package
    Bilstiens 5100's all the way around, wet okale seat covers, red led interior lights,Level 8 Guardians wrapped with Hankook Dynapro's 260/70/17 and 35mm caps/black gorilla lugs,sock monkey TRD So Cal Bedside Decals BANKS-Monster Cat-Back Exhaust, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, One of a kind satoshi grille thin lip by Homer Taco.
    afe cold air intake box and exhaust? better then TRD?

3. Mar 16, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    Exhaust is gonna be a personal preference honestly. Except for Flowmaster, I think the one thing this forum can agree on is that those exhaust systems suck. I plan to go with a MBRP system because I like the sound, their quality, and the fact that they make a quality material exhaust system that will dump out before the rear axle which can be hard to find.

I would go with the AFE cold air system. They built the 1st gen TRD CAI so that would be your best option.

Keep in mind, the stock intake is technically cold air. All your doing by switching to a CAI is straightening the pipe out and putting in a better flowing filter than the stupid system they put in stock.

4. Mar 16, 2012 at 9:42 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    The intake and exhaust supposedly offer little in the way of power or mpg improvements, but I'll be slapping them on my Taco when I'm done with the lift regardless. My truck would seem incomplete to me without them. I guess it's the price you pay to differentiate your Taco from a stocker.

I'll probably go URD intake & exhaust. Check out URD Website

5. Mar 17, 2012 at 5:21 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    There's plenty of people with the Flowmaster cat back and I'm sure they're happy with it. And what's wrong with the stock air box?

6. Mar 17, 2012 at 5:44 AM
    Sprink669

Sprink669 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have them both and like the way they sound and let's face it these bolt on mods for the Tacoma isn't going to make the truck a rocket. It feels like it made a power increase, but no telling without a dyno before and after.

7. Mar 17, 2012 at 5:46 AM
    Underdog777

Underdog777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    Then we'll have to start strapping rockets into our beds :notsure:

8. Mar 17, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    All the bends and the secondary filter make the engine work more to breathe. The biggest "performance gain" of the CAI is that most owners have said they get better throttle response, not much in terms of power. Which makes sense because with the CAI air only has to travel through one filter and a straight pipe. The stock intake has a bendy, ridged hose, two filters, and the inside of that air cleaner assembly looks like the wiring under my dash.

9. Mar 17, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    The engine is not "working" to breathe. The stock air box delivers all the air the engine could ever use. Also the secondary filter is so see through I high doubt it is restricting air flow. Sure better throttle response because of a shorter and smoother path of air I can agree with.

Products Discussed in

To Top