Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

wondering if i should save my money TRD Exhaust and TRD Cold Air intake?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
TRDMike66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMike66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMike66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMike66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMike66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMike66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMike66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMike66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMike66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMike66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMike66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRDMike66's Tacoma Gallery
wondering if i should save my money TRD Exhaust and TRD Cold Air intake?

I am new here but i have a question is it worth my money to change out both exhaust and intake to TRD exhaust and TRD cold Air Intake.My truck is a 2007 TRD v6?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Get them if you want sound. The new TRD is junk. I just removed the old style TRD intake from my truck. It is much quieter in the cab and I didn't feel any kind of power loss.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust is gonna be a personal preference honestly. Except for Flowmaster, I think the one thing this forum can agree on is that those exhaust systems suck. I plan to go with a MBRP system because I like the sound, their quality, and the fact that they make a quality material exhaust system that will dump out before the rear axle which can be hard to find.

I would go with the AFE cold air system. They built the 1st gen TRD CAI so that would be your best option.

Keep in mind, the stock intake is technically cold air. All your doing by switching to a CAI is straightening the pipe out and putting in a better flowing filter than the stupid system they put in stock.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Cpt. Bubbleguts
S7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
S7ICKlVlAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDMike66 View Post
I am new here but i have a question is it worth my money to change out both exhaust and intake to TRD exhaust and TRD cold Air Intake.My truck is a 2007 TRD v6?
The intake and exhaust supposedly offer little in the way of power or mpg improvements, but I'll be slapping them on my Taco when I'm done with the lift regardless. My truck would seem incomplete to me without them. I guess it's the price you pay to differentiate your Taco from a stocker.

I'll probably go URD intake & exhaust. Check out URD Website
Old 03-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spithead051 View Post
Exhaust is gonna be a personal preference honestly. Except for Flowmaster, I think the one thing this forum can agree on is that those exhaust systems suck. I plan to go with a MBRP system because I like the sound, their quality, and the fact that they make a quality material exhaust system that will dump out before the rear axle which can be hard to find.

I would go with the AFE cold air system. They built the 1st gen TRD CAI so that would be your best option.

Keep in mind, the stock intake is technically cold air. All your doing by switching to a CAI is straightening the pipe out and putting in a better flowing filter than the stupid system they put in stock.
There's plenty of people with the Flowmaster cat back and I'm sure they're happy with it. And what's wrong with the stock air box?
Old 03-17-2012, 05:30 AM   #7
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Absolutely nothing wrong with the factory air box. The only change in swapping for the Trd is the woosh noise when you floor it.

Remove the secondary filter and call it a day.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
Sprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sprink669's Tacoma Gallery
I have them both and like the way they sound and let's face it these bolt on mods for the Tacoma isn't going to make the truck a rocket. It feels like it made a power increase, but no telling without a dyno before and after.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #9
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprink669 View Post
I have them both and like the way they sound and let's face it these bolt on mods for the Tacoma isn't going to make the truck a rocket. It feels like it made a power increase, but no telling without a dyno before and after.
Then we'll have to start strapping rockets into our beds
Old 03-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
There's plenty of people with the Flowmaster cat back and I'm sure they're happy with it. And what's wrong with the stock air box?
All the bends and the secondary filter make the engine work more to breathe. The biggest "performance gain" of the CAI is that most owners have said they get better throttle response, not much in terms of power. Which makes sense because with the CAI air only has to travel through one filter and a straight pipe. The stock intake has a bendy, ridged hose, two filters, and the inside of that air cleaner assembly looks like the wiring under my dash.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spithead051 View Post
All the bends and the secondary filter make the engine work more to breathe. The biggest "performance gain" of the CAI is that most owners have said they get better throttle response, not much in terms of power. Which makes sense because with the CAI air only has to travel through one filter and a straight pipe. The stock intake has a bendy, ridged hose, two filters, and the inside of that air cleaner assembly looks like the wiring under my dash.
The engine is not "working" to breathe. The stock air box delivers all the air the engine could ever use. Also the secondary filter is so see through I high doubt it is restricting air flow. Sure better throttle response because of a shorter and smoother path of air I can agree with.