Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

DITCH CAI FOR DECKPLATE MOD AND AIRAID INTAKE TUBE??

Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
crainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant future

crainz277's Tacoma Gallery
DITCH CAI FOR DECKPLATE MOD AND AIRAID INTAKE TUBE??

Hello fellas, I know there has been a fair share of threads on the deckplate mod vs CAI and supposed hp increases...I know I know. But I was looking for your opinion. I'm currently running a K&N CAI, but have been looking at the airaid intake tube/dry filter combo..I wanted an opinion from all, especially those that have gone from CAI to deckplate.

Should I ditch the CAI and get a stock air box, do the deckplate mod as well as buy the airaid intake tube with dry filter?

or

Save my money and just keep the CAI?

Your opinions/experience are greatly appreciated.

Zach
Old 03-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Do the deck plate, with the stock tubing. No gains from getting the Airaid tube.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
crainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Do the deck plate, with the stock tubing. No gains from getting the Airaid tube.
Hmm interesting..I can agree with those who like the airaid intake tube for the cleaner look.lol I do like that. Problem is..I would have to drop some money on a factory airbox and intake bc I sold mine. So I wonder if I should save my money or go for the deckplate bc it is supposedly that much better.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crainz277 View Post
Hmm interesting..I can agree with those who like the airaid intake tube for the cleaner look.lol I do like that. Problem is..I would have to drop some money on a factory airbox and intake bc I sold mine. So I wonder if I should save my money or go for the deckplate bc it is supposedly that much better.
The K&N showed no gains, while the deck plate does. Your call.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #5
01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future

01TacoBuz's Tacoma Gallery
To the Op, try to find a stock airbox at a junkyard and do the deckplate mod

I am using the K&N stock replacement filter with deckplate mod, if you go with the same filter, just make sure after every cleaning that you use minimal oil, just a very light spray and that`s all, if not, you will be removing your MAF sensor and cleaning it everytime

I also fabricated walls that are attached to the sides of the stock airbox to keep hot engine air from getting to the front of the airbox

I removed rear cat and I have the URD rear simulator, Im running a MagnaFlow muffler with stock piping size

Some say you lose low end torque by removing rear cat, If anything, throttle response is much better, I dont notice any loss at all from low rpm`s through the power band and the power band did not go up it remained the same

With these inexpensive mods I am getting better gas mileage than I have ever gotten, as long as I keep my foot out of it

At my last fillup on sunday, 11.53 gallons for 297 miles comes to 25.75 if I recall when it was new it was only rated at 24mpg hwy

25.75 mpg is combo of city and hwy miles, I used to get an average of 20 to 21

I cant wait to see what it will get with all hwy miles on a tank of gas

Good luck with what ever you decide
Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TacoBuz View Post

I am using the K&N stock replacement filter with deckplate mod, if you go with the same filter, just make sure after every cleaning that you use minimal oil, just a very light spray and that`s all, if not, you will be removing your MAF sensor and cleaning it everytime

I also fabricated walls that are attached to the sides of the stock airbox to keep hot engine air from getting to the front of the airbox

I removed rear cat and I have the URD rear simulator, Im running a MagnaFlow muffler with stock piping size

Some say you lose low end torque by removing rear cat, If anything, throttle response is much better, I dont notice any loss at all from low rpm`s through the power band and the power band did not go up it remained the same

With these inexpensive mods I am getting better gas mileage than I have ever gotten, as long as I keep my foot out of it

At my last fillup on sunday, 11.53 gallons for 297 miles comes to 25.75 if I recall when it was new it was only rated at 24mpg hwy

That's actually what I was thinking. I called around a couple days ago to see if any junk yards had any..no luck. I definitely am not looking to buy a new airbox as they are around $200 which is almost as much as the CAI when I bought it. I really wish now I would have just held on to my airbox when I had it. I would trade the CAI for a factory intake if anyone was willing...but I would want some $ in addition as I paid about $260 for my CAI. I would value a used factory intake at about $70. I sold mine for $100 shipped with a K&N drop in.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
That K&N isn't cold air.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future

Crainz
Call every junkyard in your area and check some sites online that sell junkyard parts

Dont give up youll eventually find one
Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #9

Quote:

Just filled up again yesterday, this is the 3rd tank of gas since all of the changes

On this tank I kept my foot out of it to see if it would be any better, shifting at around 2k

338 miles using 12.2 gallons=27.7 Mpg Hwy and City combined

I still havent taken it on a road trip to see what it will get strictly Hwy
Old 04-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Just filled up again yesterday, this is the 3rd tank of gas since all of the changes

On this tank I kept my foot out of it to see if it would be any better, shifting at around 2k

338 miles using 12.2 gallons=27.7 Mpg Hwy and City combined

I still havent taken it on a road trip to see what it will get strictly Hwy
You must have a 4 banger??
Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainz277 View Post
You must have a 4 banger??
Yes, but it has never gotten close to the gas mileage that it is currently getting

It used to get 20 in the city and 24 hwy