Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Secondary Air Filter DIY (Another way) 1GR-FE (V6)

Old 03-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Hummingbird
Foihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Foihdzas's Tacoma Gallery
Secondary Air Filter DIY (Another way) 1GR-FE (V6)

DISCLAIMER: I do not take any responsibility ... ever, so I sure as heck don't take any responsibility in what you are about to do.

A stickey DIY can be found here :http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...r-removal.html

Expectations: Massive horsepower gains, women throwing panties at my ride, and maybe a tiny bit of mpg gain.

The DIY: This is on a 1GR-FE. aka 2nd gen Tacoma V6

Step 1: Make sure your engine bay is relatively clean. Excessive mud/gremlins make it slightly hazardous to the internals of your baby.

Step 2: Un-clip air filter...

Step 3: <Optional> Remove intake tube. This will make it easier to get your paws in there.

There are two 12mm bolts which hold the intake on:

Step 4: Using a small SHARP drill bit, drill out the 6 plastic rivets holding the secondary filter in place. A sharp bit will help in keeping you from sliding off of the rivet.

Step 5: Remove Filter

Try using a small flat blade screw driver to get behind the filter if needed:

And don't do what I did, and pry too hard...

Step 6: <Optional but recommended> Clean out that air box. Make sure any debris didn't get in there from opening it up. Also, it's not a bad thing to replace your air filter while you are there. If you can see light through your filter when backlit, it is good. Since I am purchasing an AFE drop in, I will do this later.

Step 7: Re-install in reverse order hopefully..

Results: No massive horsepower gain Actually probably none at all.

No ladies panties stuck to my antenna Despite My newly lifted truck and shiny paint

And I just filled up, so I will update if there is any noticeable gain. Most likely no MPG gain, but maybe a tiiiny bit of hp in the top end.

I did however notice that when you blip the throttle while stopped, you get to hear your Taco breathe a little differently. But no noticeable change while driving.

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
There is no gain with this removal. Gadget, myself, and others have tested it.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Hummingbird
Foihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
There is no gain with this removal. Gadget, myself, and others have tested it.

kinda figured that. But i'm slow at work, and needed something to do! Modding the Taco is high on the list of things to do lol
Old 03-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Hummingbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
U could always do a new intake that deletes the filter, then reverse it for any emissions reasons
From what I hear, and observe, the stock intake is fairly good at it's job. I am going to put an afe in there. Not for horsepower, I have enough, but for the re-usable part of it.

And I don't have to comply with emissions regulations, but I did keep the filter, just in case I do have to put it back in.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
68vert is on a distinguished road

68vert's Tacoma Gallery
I did this mod in combo with putting on a TRD cat back.

After removing my secondary filter, I set my air compressor to 25 PSI and blasted air through it with my hand behind it. I noticed a significant restriction.

I've been recording my gas mileage each fill up and noticed a slight gain. I try to keep my revs under 2K RPM. Altitude is 2650 ft at my house. Typical driving is through the city. 16.7 mi one way to work. I bought the truck in January and avg temp here was in the 60's and I was getting high 21's MPG. Since I removed the secondary filter my worst MPG was the high 21's and my best was low 23 MPG. The last 2 fill ups, its been getting hot (high 80's) so I've been driving with the AC on half the time. My truck is stock (for now) TRD Sport 4X auto.

If there is any power increase, its slight even with the addition of the TRD catback. Not sure if the TRD exhaust is inherently loud by itself or if its louder w/o the secondary filter, but mine is loud. Louder than my Borla with the K&N on my 05.

Do I think its worth it? Yes! A 30 minute mod to possibly gain a slight MPG increase. Just my humble op.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #6
Hummingbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vert View Post
I did this mod in combo with putting on a TRD cat back.

After removing my secondary filter, I set my air compressor to 25 PSI and blasted air through it with my hand behind it. I noticed a significant restriction.

I've been recording my gas mileage each fill up and noticed a slight gain. I try to keep my revs under 2K RPM. Altitude is 2650 ft at my house. Typical driving is through the city. 16.7 mi one way to work. I bought the truck in January and avg temp here was in the 60's and I was getting high 21's MPG. Since I removed the secondary filter my worst MPG was the high 21's and my best was low 23 MPG. The last 2 fill ups, its been getting hot (high 80's) so I've been driving with the AC on half the time. My truck is stock (for now) TRD Sport 4X auto.

If there is any power increase, its slight even with the addition of the TRD catback. Not sure if the TRD exhaust is inherently loud by itself or if its louder w/o the secondary filter, but mine is loud. Louder than my Borla with the K&N on my 05.

Do I think its worth it? Yes! A 30 minute mod to possibly gain a slight MPG increase. Just my humble op.

Thanks for your thoughts and research with MPG tracking!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
Treeder is on a distinguished road
Name: Tavis
Treeder's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone installed a good replacement air filter from the original? I noticed today that my factory filter (22,000km on truck) is quite clean but does not flow a lot of air when I test it with my compressor. I would like to install a different filter as well as remove this secondary unit as well.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks