Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

intake help

Old 12-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
kris219 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kris
kris219's Tacoma Gallery
intake help

Ive been thinking about getting a cai for my truck but im not really sure where to start. how do u access the stock intake when its in the fender well. also im having a lot of trouble choosing a new cai. i live in miami and it rains a lot so im not sure about URD. i also dont wana empty my pocket either. any suggestions?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris219 View Post
Ive been thinking about getting a cai for my truck but im not really sure where to start. how do u access the stock intake when its in the fender well. also im having a lot of trouble choosing a new cai. i live in miami and it rains a lot so im not sure about URD. i also dont wana empty my pocket either. any suggestions?
honestly man...............with the expense what they are for all the cai's out there..........just remove the secondary filter and install a good drop in like the afe pro dry s................you'll have mileage gains, plus it costs alot less than a cai to do this. plus..............with a cai, you get the most benefits from it during higher rpm driving......you really want see any gains during normal driving.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I i live in miami and it rains a lot so im not sure about URD.

i was worried about the same thing but after talking to alot of people and the creator of the intake, youll be ok with rain. the only time the water will get in ur engine is if u go into a deeeep puddle.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
jaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jaxchrisfla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jaxchrisfla Send a message via Yahoo to jaxchrisfla
i live in jacksonville, which is exposed to just as many hurricanes as miami, and i run the urd intake with a recessed grill. only issue i have is the maf getting soaked. which was fixed by sealing it with a sealer. the filter will get wet, and you might notice a little restriction, but as long as your not in a lake and flooring it, you wont have any problem with the rain and the filter.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearskill View Post
Hey, how do you take out that secondary filter?
you can basically just use a pocket knife and cut the 6 small rivet heads off, then pull the filter out...............just make sure no plastic shavings or anything is left loose in there.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
cole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cole
cole47's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cole47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
you can basically just use a pocket knife and cut the 6 small rivet heads off, then pull the filter out...............just make sure no plastic shavings or anything is left loose in there.
where is it located?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole47 View Post
where is it located?
open up tha air box and take out the drop in filter...........and its right there.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
cole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cole
cole47's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cole47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
open up tha air box and take out the drop in filter...........and its right there.
gotcha...... thanks
Old 12-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #10
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
yeah sometimes I wish I had just done the drop in route, but if your heart is set for an intake i say TRD or AFE (same intake, different logo) and Truefolow makes a good intake as well with great filtration...My trd gives me a thrill at the expense of mileage haha
Old 12-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTycoon View Post
yeah sometimes I wish I had just done the drop in route, but if your heart is set for an intake i say TRD or AFE (same intake, different logo) and Truefolow makes a good intake as well with great filtration...My trd gives me a thrill at the expense of mileage haha

the drop in route benefits the most on the 1st gen, the 2nd gen really doesnt benefit from the drop in
Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #12
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, but from time to time I can feel the low end power loss because of the intake and wish I had just bought the trueflow because it has better filtration. But, don't get me wrong I do not regreat getting mine
Old 12-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #13
kris219 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kris
kris219's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
the drop in route benefits the most on the 1st gen, the 2nd gen really doesnt benefit from the drop in

i dont mean to offend you but how do you know this?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #14
Tuned By Gadget

Quote:
i dont mean to offend you but how do you know this?

from the "search" feature

Products Discussed in this Thread